Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
Resrick

Passport 238ML

Bought my Passport 238ML at the beginning of May '13. Within two months, the front cap had some serious bubbling across several different areas, but mostly in horizontal lines. Probably where it was secured.

I contacted my dealer and they worked with Keystone to obtain a replacement front cap. It just came in and I need to schedule the repair. Good news!

Unfortunately, the dealer told me that this will just happen again within two years, and that it is a design flaw. I find this very disturbing. Once the warranty runs out, it will cost a lot to keep replacing the front cap.
Resrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #22
SVichera

I picked up my trailer from the dealer yesterday after having the front cap replaced. The selling dealer refused the work claiming it was purely cosmetic and that keystone never authorizes such repairs and that the decals were on back order, etc. They clearly didn't know and/or want to do the job. I contacted Keystone myself and provided them with photos and they authorized the work. My only problem was finding a dealer to do the work. I contacted a local dealer that usually does not work on units they did not sell and they agreed to perform the work. Turns out, it was NOT purely cosmetic! They found severe mold inside and had to replace not only the outer wall, but the inner wall, interior wall and insulation!!! Turns out it was leaking at the corner seems. There were absolutely no sign of water intrusion on the inside! I'm happy I went the extra step and contacted keystone myself. I can guarantee one thing, the selling dealer will not getting my business or any referrals from me. I will be sure to let Keystone know my dissatisfaction with them. I'm grateful the local dealer decided to perform the work and they have earned my future business, be it a new trailer or just accessories.
SVichera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

SVichera,

It's good to know your RV is back in "healthy status." Watch for any signs of future water intrusion and do the recommend 90 day roof check/reseal (especially on the front cap seams).

While you're at it with regards to the selling dealership, it might not hurt to be certain they know what happened. Don't forget to reinforce to the general manager why you won't be buying anything else from them. Often times an hourly employee makes decisions that general management is totally unaware of. In such cases, the only way the dealership can fix problelms is to know what happened. And, if they choose not to address the issue, that's even more "ammunition" to support your advice to friends who may be in the market for an RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #24
okbluemax

Keystone Cougar front Cap distortion problems

I am trying to sell my 2009 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 27RLS trailer and I need to see if anyone knows the cost in replacing the front cap of the trailer?
I bought an RV Cover to go on my trailer last winter and when I removed it in the Spring the front cap had warping and distortion all across the front.
I have a person coming to look at it and wondered if anyone has had this done so I could tell them a price on repairs?
Thanks, okbluemax
okbluemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #25
rosede

I thought that I would update the group on my front cap issues.

I first discovered paint fading last month, about the same time this thread started. I had not yet reach my one year with the camper, just a couple of weeks short of a full year. I called my dealer, which is two hours from where I live. They had me take some pictures which they sent onto Keystone.

It took a least a week before I heard back from the dealer, and the only reason why was because I kept following up with them. The service manager doesn't seem like someone who communicates very well with the customer. Anyway, I received an email from the dealer telling me to take it to a local body shop. This particular body shop specializes in semi's, buses, and other large vehicles.

Because of a preplanned trip, it took me two weeks before I was able to get the camper into the body shop for an estimate. I was concerned that Keystone would fight it because it is now over the one year mark. If they did, I was planning on fighting but I just got the call that Keystone is approving the work.

I left the camper over night so the body shop could take pictures, make their estimate etc... When I picked it up yesterday, I was told that it's actually the clear coat that is the issue, not the base paint. When I picked it up, it was cloudy and over cast and the fading actually cleared up. The body shop guy said that was the first clue that the clear coat was fading. Apparently when its bright and sunny, the white comes out making it look like the brown is fading, but when its cloudy and over cast, the base paint comes out. I'm not sure I understand that, but he's the expert, so I believe what he tells me.

The body shop is going to use a higher quality paint. He told me that he'll use what they normally use on trucks and has a five year warranty. He didn't know if Keystone would approve it or not, but they did, so I'm happy with that.

This guy told me that they've done a lot of work for the different camper manufactures. He said dealers from all over send campers to them. Apparently, they do a good job and have the facility's to do it. I seen a big fifth wheel in the shop while I was there, so guess they can handle my little 27 footer.

I'll take it in Monday, and they'll have it done by time I'm ready to go out next weekend.

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:24 AM   #26
Adventuring Pair

Hope you are still active

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVichera View Post
I have a 2012 3220bh. I noticed some rippling on the front cap after a trip to Orlando. Has anyone had an issue like this before? I've sent both the selling dealer and Keystone photos and am waiting for their response. I purchased the trailer new March 2013 so it is still under warranty.
I don't know how to resize them.
It’s been 10 years since you posted about your Passport nose repair. I have a passport that looks the same, but it won’t be under warranty. I’m hoping to save the original filon nose, but it may have stretched and may not lay flat.
Did keystone ship a new filon nose or did the repair shop buy a new sheet?
Did it stay in good shape after the repair?
I’m about to undertake repairing ours myself.
Adventuring Pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:57 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuring Pair View Post
It’s been 10 years since you posted about your Passport nose repair. I have a passport that looks the same, but it won’t be under warranty. I’m hoping to save the original filon nose, but it may have stretched and may not lay flat.
Did keystone ship a new filon nose or did the repair shop buy a new sheet?
Did it stay in good shape after the repair?
I’m about to undertake repairing ours myself.
AP, put together the info for your profile and a signature as it will make answers to your questions have better context. Next, take a look at the OP's profile and you will note he has not been on the site since June of 2022 so not likely to answer. Others have faced this issue and perhaps one of them can chime in.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote