Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Fishwater

Sewer hose storage mod on Passport?

For those of you using fence post or PVC pipe to store their sewer hose, where are you attaching it underneath? I don't really see a good spot underneath to attach the fence post & I don't want to drill unless I can see where it's going. Do you run yours for the width of the frame rail & drill into the frame? Looks like it may hang a little low then?
Fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
f6bits

Mine is just aft of my sewer hookup and goes laterally from frame to frame. I used pipe hanger strap and used the existing underbelly coroplast mounting bolts to hold it. It doesn't hang low. No lower than my sewer connection, at least. And it's far enough forward that I don't worry about it scraping in a dip. You can see one end of it near my little monsters.

What I need to do is verify that it's not centered under a tank. I read one instance of wearing a hole in a full tank because it rubbed against the fence post while in transit.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
GaryWT

Red face

I used 6 inch PVC and drilled holes in the frame both side just in front of the wheels.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
muddynoll

I mounted mine on top of the bumper. I don't have to worry about clearance and its easy to get to.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
audio1der

I also mounted mine laterally between the frame rails immediately behind the gray/black slice valves. I found a couple gauges of metal strapping for plumbing, used the heaviest, and doubled up #8, 3/4" self tapping screws.
The 4" pipe I used won't fit our end connections but 6" is crazy hard to find up here! Replacing the 4" with 6 will be my next job.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
djzolin

If funny that I was told the sewer hose would not fit in the rear bumper. So I was all ready to go this route and on a whim tried to store it in bumper one day. Wouldn't ya know it..it fits!. Now I have to take off the 90 fitting but the hose with its bayonet fittings slides right in. I do have the Passport 23rb. I just have another plastic container that contains the gloves, boots and fittings all related to dumping. I have the "dominator" hose kit.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
f6bits

Lots of hoses fit in the rear bumper, but the inside of the bumper rusts and becomes like sandpaper, just waiting to chew through your sewer hose as you drag it in and out of your bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzolin View Post
If funny that I was told the sewer hose would not fit in the rear bumper. So I was all ready to go this route and on a whim tried to store it in bumper one day. Wouldn't ya know it..it fits!. Now I have to take off the 90 fitting but the hose with its bayonet fittings slides right in. I do have the Passport 23rb. I just have another plastic container that contains the gloves, boots and fittings all related to dumping. I have the "dominator" hose kit.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
randy69

Check out my 6" sewer hose mod in community social group pictures 361lev.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
djzolin

Point taken f6bits, I will watch out for that. My camper is new so that will not come into play but maybe in a few years. Because of the height of my camper installing a 4" plastic storage tube will be in the cards
Old 06-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzolin View Post
Point taken f6bits, I will watch out for that. My camper is new so that will not come into play but maybe in a few years. Because of the height of my camper installing a 4" plastic storage tube will be in the cards
Our bumper had rust on the inside when we bought it. Take off one of the square bumper stoppers and run your fingers along the bottom of the bumper, I'd bet you'll find rust already inside it. Even if you're the "one in a million" that doesn't have rust, just having sand clinging to a damp hose when you put it back into the bumper is all it takes to start wearing holes in it. Watch closely, you'll wear out your hose storing it there. But, thinking about it, if you buy a hose for $10 and replace it every year, it'll take a while to equal the cost of installing the storage tube.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
davidjsimons

I bought a set of Valterra end caps for my hoses. Once you install one cap, compress the hose and install the other one. By compressing the hose, it squeezes the water out. The caps are sealed to hold a vacuum that keeps the hose compressed for easy storage. I then simply store them along with my sewage adapters and connectors in a clear plastic tote with a lid. After reading the extensive advice based on experience, I removed mine from the rear bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #12
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
I bought a set of Valterra end caps for my hoses. Once you install one cap, compress the hose and install the other one. By compressing the hose, it squeezes the water out. The caps are sealed to hold a vacuum that keeps the hose compressed for easy storage. I then simply store them along with my sewage adapters and connectors in a clear plastic tote with a lid. After reading the extensive advice based on experience, I removed mine from the rear bumper.

Have you used these caps through the cooler months. My is very stiff(even seems brittle) when cold. I would love to do something like this, just wanted some feedback from someone with some.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
f6bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
By compressing the hose, it squeezes the water out.
Huh? With the caps on and the hose sealed, the water isn't going to go anywhere.

I was recently wondering if I should just leave the caps off. My RhinoFlex collapses nicely and holds the compression. Why should I leave the caps on? The hose is in outside storage, and with and with caps off, water can escape, *and* I can leave my end fitting on.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 06-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #14
Bob Landry

Both of mine fit in the square bumper just snug enough to keep it from moving and rubbing. One has developed a small pin hole in the vinyl, but it's on the inside of the wire support and not caused by abrasion. If I see the hoses wearing from rubbing in the bumper, I'll take another approach, but at this time, I have better things to do with my time. And money..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #15
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
Huh? With the caps on and the hose sealed, the water isn't going to go anywhere.

I was recently wondering if I should just leave the caps off. My RhinoFlex collapses nicely and holds the compression. Why should I leave the caps on? The hose is in outside storage, and with and with caps off, water can escape, *and* I can leave my end fitting on.
The water is squeezed out as you collapse the hose. I hold the end with the cap up and compress in a downward motion. This forces the water out of the hose. You would be surprised at how much water is held in the hose.

davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote