Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
chris199

Trading Up....Just ordered our Cougar 32SAB

Well we did it. We started out last year with a desire to stop using B&B's for our trips (who wants to sit in someone else's living room anyway) and decided to do the camping thing again. We had a Coleman popup back in the day when the kids were little. We became empty nesters last year and purchased a Keystone Passport 199ML. Also upgraded our vehicle from a Chevy Astro van to a Toyota Tundra 4.6 L Double Cab. (The 180,000 miles on the van just didn't seem to be a good foundation for towing again.) So much fun last year with that setup. Mount our bikes in the back of the truck, hitch up and go.

Over the winter we were looking at some TT's that had more living space. (Our daughter camped with us once last year and just had to stay out of the way while we made breakfast and cleaned up....not enough room really for a 3rd or 4th person in a 199ML.) We also wanted to be out and not have to setup/put away for every meal (bring table in, setup, break down, take table out..). Would also be nice on cold or damp nights to sit inside and play games a little more comfortably or watch a movie and not have to lay in bed.

The BIG MISTAKE was going to the RV show a couple of weeks ago. We walked miles that day and saw many things we liked but most we could not tow. Then we saw the Passport 3180 and 3100RKS. Nice... Then our sales person said....you could tow this with your truck. That got my attn. It was all downhill from there. For a variety of reasons the 3180 and 3100 were great but the Cougar was just appointed that much better. Then we got a great deal and upgraded the Tundra to the 5.7 L DC. Same truck as before...same color....just the badge on the side indicating the 5.7L engine under the hood.

We decided on the Cougar 32SAB and hopefully take delivery in April. The new TT is a MONSTER (35') compared to the 21'-22' 199ML. I'm a little overwhelmed about towing something that long. Slow, safe, and easy I guess......

I'm failry certain that the next RV show (if we dare again) will not tempt us as much. I don't see us going to a 5th wheel.....esp not wanting to spend the $$$$$$ (Tundra = $$) to get the truck that it will take to haul one.

I guess it's not uncommon....start small and move up once you get a feel for what you like/don't like. I think the 32SAB will be it for a while.....nothing not to like (I hope).
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
Shelbs

First and foremost, congratulations on the new rig! Those darned RV shows getcha every time! Don't feel like the lone ranger... It's happened to us twice!

We recently upgraded from a 23' hybrid to a 30' Passport. When we picked it up, we had a 4 hour drive home. Like you, I was concerned/ nervous about the extra 7 feet of trailer behind me. But if your Cougar is anything like our Passport (and I'm sure it will be) its going to tow like a dream and the learning curve will vanish quickly!

Congrats again, good luck, and have fun!

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
f6bits

I see you and your DW suffer from upgraditis. I worry that my next tow vehicle will be bigger and better and then we’ll have to get a trailer to match. I’ll just remember to not get a Heavy Duty tow vehicle so I won’t be sucked into the temptation of a fifth wheel.

Have fun next month! And I’m with you, we prefer our own home on wheels over any hotel or B&B. I think the dog prefers it, too.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
handye9

I am looking at the 32SAB, also. The new one (2013), with bedroom slide. I'm told, they won't be on dealer lots until sometime in May.
handye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
chris199

Quote:
Originally Posted by handye9 View Post
I am looking at the 32SAB, also. The new one (2013), with bedroom slide. I'm told, they won't be on dealer lots until sometime in May.
We've got the new version on order...with the wardrobe slide. We were told likely sometime in April. Not sure. We have a trip planned for mid May....hopefully it's in by then.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
handye9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
We've got the new version on order...with the wardrobe slide. We were told likely sometime in April. Not sure. We have a trip planned for mid May....hopefully it's in by then.
Ordered mine today.
handye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
chris199

Congrats!!! Have a great and safe time with it Handye !!! We can't wait for ours to be delivered. Ordered a Hensley hitch yesterday. Replaced the OEM mirrors on our Tundra today with OEM tow mirrors.

All that we need now is the 32SAB......

All the Best!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
chris199

Just got confirmation this week......32sab on order will be a 2013. Will not be available until sometime in May. Prototype runs underway. Am thinking the wait will be worth it....could just go with the 2012 but the new slideout wardrobe is a nice feature and the bathroom switches sides and goes opposite the door in the new version.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
michol02

I think you will like it better than the 2012. We don't have much room for hanging clothes, and they drag the bottom of the closet(closet not tall enough). The new closet slide-out looks like it took care of that problem.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
chris199

Good to hear. A little concerned about the increase in tongue wgt the new slide will cause. I called the main office and the gave me a number that was maybe 100 125 lbs more than the 2012. Seems hard to believe but we'll see.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
cat tails

Red face 32SAB Cougar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by michol02 View Post
I think you will like it better than the 2012. We don't have much room for hanging clothes, and they drag the bottom of the closet(closet not tall enough). The new closet slide-out looks like it took care of that problem.
Have a new 2013 Cougar the slide out is nice convenient,but clothes on hangers drag the closet floor. Last outing heavy rain and there was water leak inside the closet both sides left and right corners and floor was still damp two days later. Camper at dealer to check out the problem.
cat tails is offline   Reply With Quote