Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
MichiganMarty

CAN-AM Spyder

Anyone ever tie down a CAN-AM Spyder in their Toy Hauler? We may be selling the Harley and replace it with the Spyder and want to know what I'm up against.

Do you load it front end in first? or back it in?

(If I backed it in at an angle, I think it would keep the door to the living area from the garage accessible.)

What chock system did you use?
2006 Raptor 3712TS on top of a Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver
MichiganMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

I don't have a Syder but seen two during my travels....one pulled in and one backed in, neither had any wheel chocks.

IMO with 3 wheels a chock is not a neccessity unless you have alot of rough roads to go over, like the bridges in Utah, especially a couple of those new decks south of Salt Lake, the frost heaves encountered along the ALCAN or in Alaska. I would use 4 heavy ratchet straps, not those WallyWorld Cheapies either.

A chock for the rear tire maybe a hard one to find because of tire width, so backing it in would elminate the chock.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
gbsb

I don't have a Spyder but do have a Harley TriGlide. I don't think I could back in not enough power on the reverse of the Harley. I pull in and do not use a chock, I put one ratchet tie down across the seat to keep it from bouncing around, then put one strap on front fork pulling back and one strap on the other side of front fork pulling forward this keep it from moving forward or back. Before I put the strap over the seat I did have it bouncing from side to side and it hit the side wall experience is a good teacher but a pricey one. That was when we pulled to Alaska last year down the AlCan Hwy. I also have to have a set of folding ramps to load/unload the trike because my mufflers drag and it gets stuck. I habe a Fuzion Toyhauler and it sets pretty high. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

ALCAN the road of destruction.

Working out a 4 point tie down is the best thing you can do. Many do not like compressing the suspensions on a bike but if you know you are going to have some rough roads, Alaska roads, ALCAN, bridges in Utah on I 15 (these are a few that I have crossed in the last month that are high on my list of worst roads) then compressing the suspension is the best thing you can do to keep things from moving around. On my bikes I ran 7 straps when we hit the ALCAN, 2 from the front the bike to the Condor wheel chocks, used these to compress the front suspension, 2 from the same front bike point to the floor. I did not compress the rear suspension as that is rather stiff but I did run the straps to the lower shock mounts and I did pull it down tight enough to compress the tire some. The 7th strap was used to hold the Condors square as I do not have them bolted in. I did this by using the highway bars to the Condor, not really a tiedown point but necessary without a boltdown point.

I don't like the idea of using the seat as a tiedown point as you run the risk of ruining the seat and second this is not a very secure tiedown point in the event of an accident. Here in Alaska some of the insurance companies were looking at how things were secured and denying claims for improper tiedowns on cargo. Just my $.02.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
monte1214

- Best thing going for tie downs...

http://www.superclamp.net/
Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

All except for the plates left on the floor. I still use my Cargo area for living space when empty.