Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
DnD

Paint or Decals

OK So Dione and I are sold on the new Premier 22RBPR. We of course want to tour one before ordering so we have a little wait time (Aug).

In talking with my dealer this past week I had inquired about full body paint so he checked on the factory price and it was quoted as $5k. He said his rep at Premier reminded him he could do it cheaper there at the dealership. This dealer (Lazy Days - Tucson) has a collision repair center with a massive "state of the art" paint booth and a very good reputation. He is thinking Lazy Days can do it for around $3k. One added advantage is that my truck is cherry red and the dealer can replace the burgundy with a color matched cherry.

So ... My questions are:

Is the advantage of paint over decals worth the $?

and

Would you opt for the factory or dealer performing the work?

TIA,

Dan
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
f6bits

I figure that decals are good for five years. And in that time, I know that my shiny white is going to yellow a bit. I wish mine was full body paint. Maybe someday I’ll do that. I’d go with the dealer since they do that kind of work all the time and you can get the custom coloring. It’s nice to know it’s only $3k or so.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
DnD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
I figure that decals are good for five years. And in that time, I know that my shiny white is going to yellow a bit. I wish mine was full body paint. Maybe someday I’ll do that. I’d go with the dealer since they do that kind of work all the time and you can get the custom coloring. It’s nice to know it’s only $3k or so.
sdayman ... Thanks for your thoughts!

My sales rep did tell me we would have to order a different outer layer on the sidewalls if we want to do it "right" with full body paint at the dealer. Apparently Premier uses a different outer layer on painted vs stock with decals.

I don't know if that will make a difference to your cost if doing it down the road.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
f6bits

Maybe the extra cost from Keystone is for using a non-standard exterior. I’m sure they use the regular exteriors with the fancy laminate name I can’t remember in such large quantities it’s cheaper that way. But just having the option to have it painted how *I* wanted it done is worth going to a dealer/shop for.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
DnD

Well it's decided .. we are going to go with the custom paint from the dealer. I'll post pictures in a few months when we pick it up.