Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
08ramguy

anyone replace there holding grey tank

So I have been looking into replacing my grey tank on my trailer, I have a 2006 26fs th, it has a 32 gal grey tank but want to get a bigger one....any one every do this or think of doing this that has any imput, like is it worth it, I have also been looking into just getting a portable tank, not sure what would be a better route...thanks
08ramguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Use caution adding a larger holding tank, if you do travel with it full, it counts against your cargo capacity. Depending on how big you might go, you could eat up half your payload pretty quickly. If you replace your tank (or add a second permanently mounted tank) you will increase your holding capacity, but you'll still need to pull the trailer to the dump station to empty the tanks. If you get a 20-30 gallon portable tank, you can connect it and empty your current tank, then close the dump valve and continue using the original tank while you dump the portable. If you get a 30 gal portable tank, you'll have 62 gallons of gray waste. That's about what the larger trailers have, so you will then be "with the big boys" DON'T leave the portable hooked up gray dump valve open and forget about it, once the portable tank fills, then the hose fills with gray waste, you'll have junk all over the ground trying to close the dump valve and empty the hose... Best to keep the dump valve closed, then when the main tank is nearing full, empty a part of it into the portable tank, close the valve and keep on using water while you dump what you drained

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
08ramguy

Thanks for the reply, I have thought about the payload capacity of the trailer, and if I add a xtra grey tank, say another 28 or so I will be good with the payload of the trailer, I'm definetly not worried about the trucks payload, I will deal with that when i get my dream trailer, you know that 40' toyhauler, with 3 slides.......all good info, I think that people forget about payload capacity of there trailers as well as trucks.....
08ramguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
hankaye

08ramguy, Howdy;

Inca Plastics (I'm NOT affilliated with them), supplies a majority of tanks for the RV indus'y.

http://www.incaplastics.com/rvtanks.htm

Knowing what will FIT in the allotted space is the main concern as you stated you are not worried about weight.

I was able to order a replacement for the water tank for a 1995 TT I owned in a previous life...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
hwhtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Use caution adding a larger holding tank, if you do travel with it full, it counts against your cargo capacity. Depending on how big you might go, you could eat up half your payload pretty quickly. If you replace your tank (or add a second permanently mounted tank) you will increase your holding capacity, but you'll still need to pull the trailer to the dump station to empty the tanks. If you get a 20-30 gallon portable tank, you can connect it and empty your current tank, then close the dump valve and continue using the original tank while you dump the portable. If you get a 30 gal portable tank, you'll have 62 gallons of gray waste. That's about what the larger trailers have, so you will then be "with the big boys" DON'T leave the portable hooked up gray dump valve open and forget about it, once the portable tank fills, then the hose fills with gray waste, you'll have junk all over the ground trying to close the dump valve and empty the hose... Best to keep the dump valve closed, then when the main tank is nearing full, empty a part of it into the portable tank, close the valve and keep on using water while you dump what you drained
+1 Also if there really isnt a reason to change out your tank (i.e. you bust the tank) dont waste your time changing it its no fun coming from someone whos changed out a couple greys and countless black tanks.
hwhtech is offline   Reply With Quote