Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
nano

Roof ripples/bubbles at seams

I went up on the roof of our 2013 Cougar 333MKS for the first time this year, and found some ripples/bubbles at 3 seams in the roof. Have any of you experienced anything like this? In some spots I can feel the sealer right underneath, but some spots have air under them. I have an email in to the dealer and to Keystone, and my gut tells me this isn't normal/right. Our 1 year warranty expired in May, and I hope that doesn't cause a problem for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof1.JPG
Views:	1119
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	6541   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof2.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	6542  
Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
therink

I have defined side to side ripples at just about every roof decking seam but they are quite minor in comparison to those. It is unfortunate that you didn't notice this until after your one year warranty. I would definitely seek additional opinions and contact your dealer and see what they say.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
grampscamper

I would agree with therink. Ours has minor ripples. Not like yours. I would contact your dealer and Keystone. It could develop into a serious problem. If they won't do anything I would check it frequently to make sure it doesn't get any worse.
We had a Rockwood 5th wheel that the roof delaminated. It was much worse than yours. Forest River repaired it the 2nd year of ownership.
Good luck.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
nano

Has anyone here had success getting a roof repair covered after the 1 year warranty is up? If so, who did you speak to at Keystone?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
bpyle311

Roof repairs!

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the roof ripples will probably not be covered by a warranty so long as they don't leak. They will say that that is just cosmetic. Do yourself a favor and inspect all of the rubber sealant where the front cap meets the roof and ALL vents where they use the sealant, THAT POTENTIALLY COULD BE WHERE THE PROBLEM IS STARTING. I just bought a 2014 Carbon Toyhauler and took delivery July 1st, 2014. By July 12, 2014 That rubber sealant cracked allowing air under roof covering and my Roof actually tore off the first 1/3 of the trailer. This is a Definate manufacturer defect and I suspect I'm not the only one out there with this problem. Keystone has authorized to replace but when they take off the original roof the osb plywood underneath comes up with it. The repaired roof will then look horrible-TRUST ME! You can take a look on my post under service and warranty issues titled "Carbon 327" to see pics. I pray this isn't the case with your trailer, but do yourself a big favor and try to find the root of the problem of why air pockets are forming, as they will only get bigger in time and potentially rip like mine. Hope this helped...sorry to hear
bpyle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
KYFamily

My camper looks just like the pictures form the OP. I'm keeping an eye on them but every camper I've owned has had some type of bubbles. My Jayco was the worst. I ended up fixing them myself but those don't look that bad in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
K'sKamper

Roof Bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
I went up on the roof of our 2013 Cougar 333MKS for the first time this year, and found some ripples/bubbles at 3 seams in the roof. Have any of you experienced anything like this? In some spots I can feel the sealer right underneath, but some spots have air under them. I have an email in to the dealer and to Keystone, and my gut tells me this isn't normal/right. Our 1 year warranty expired in May, and I hope that doesn't cause a problem for us.

Keystone would not cover mine within the warranty so don't expect them to cover it outside of the warranty. I doubt if the roofs Keystone puts on will last 12 years.
K'sKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
nano

To paraphrase Keystone's response... the roof isn't leaking, so it's fine and there's no reason to fix it. *sigh* I am keeping a close eye on it, though.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #9
Pmedic4

Roof Bubbles - potential leaks

On our recent long trip, we were driving down I-39, and passed a 5ver with a serious bubble in the roof - the entire front EPDM roof had come loose at the front, and there was this huge air bubble where the air had gotten in under the front edge. It was probably billowing up 3 to 4 feet from the roof!

My wife and I looked at each other, she turned and looked at our roof, and said, ours wasn't doing that! We both said, we hope those people know that isn't normal?

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Quiroule

Nano, are the roof panels on both sides of the ripple solid. Looks like you may have the same problem as the one on this post:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19096

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
outwest

I see at least one rig a year going down the highway that has its roof 1/2 peeled off and flapping in the wind Definitely keep a close eye on it & best of luck with it

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote