Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Chip999

Repairing scratches to the linoleum floor

Hello all,

First, let me say that I totally own this problem. When we got our 29RET, the standalone dining table was too close to the window/blind, and it was a pain to get the blind up (as in it had to be wrangled past the edge of the table). I saw it was a simple fix, 4 screws holding the table in the slide floor, so I went ahead and unscrewed, moved the table toward the inside about 1 1/2 inches, and re-screwed the table to the slide. No problem, right?

Wrong.

When winterizing, and showing off the fifth wheel to friends, we opened the slide. That was when I noticed that one of the screws had been scratching the linoleum floor. Why 1 1/2" inward would do that, I don't know. Maybe I set it in 1 turn too tight. So I loosened the screws slightly, so the table is still stable and secure. I am thinking that I will pull one screw and go find another, 1/4" shorter screw at the hardware store that isn't a wood screw with a sharp point, and re-fasten the table.

I now have a 4-5" scratch in the linoleum. Is the best place to find a fix probably home depot? My old trailer had gloss linoleum floor, this floor is matte. Just looking for opinions/ideas...

Thanks!
Chip999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Bob Landry

Maybe a small throw rug to cover the spot. Sometimes the fix is worse than the problem. Short of that, I would check with a store that sell flooring and see if there is some kind of filler material that will hide it. I've never seen any, but …..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
therink

I also moved my table out about 1.5" as you described, but have not experienced scratching of the linoleum by the screws. Maybe you did tighten them down a bit too much. As far as fixing, I can't help you there. Any photos?
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Chip999

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I also moved my table out about 1.5" as you described, but have not experienced scratching of the linoleum by the screws. Maybe you did tighten them down a bit too much. As far as fixing, I can't help you there. Any photos?
Steve
If I open it again before dewinterizing next spring, sure!

I too believe a runner will be in order to cover the blemish.

It's funny, my friends were marvelling at the totality of the fifth wheel, never even noticed the scratch until I went "Oh crap!".

I would bet I did tighten it just a little too much.

I keep reminding myself "it's a camper, it gets scratched up and dinged, we got it to camp, not to look pretty". It's mostly working....
Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Dave45039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip999 View Post
If I open it again before dewinterizing next spring, sure!

I too believe a runner will be in order to cover the blemish.

It's funny, my friends were marvelling at the totality of the fifth wheel, never even noticed the scratch until I went "Oh crap!".

I would bet I did tighten it just a little too much.

I keep reminding myself "it's a camper, it gets scratched up and dinged, we got it to camp, not to look pretty". It's mostly working....
I have done that twice. I rearranged some things and used longer screws.

Anyway, if you have the darker colored flooring that looks kinda like marble and you haven't actually ripped the vinyl, you can use colored pencils or thinned paint to wipe in the scratch and you will hard pressed to see it again. They also have vinyl repair kits with color and patching cement you can buy.

Dave & Janet

2013 Cougar 333MKS
2013 GMC 2500HD 6.0L / 4.10
[/LIST]
Dave45039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
theeyres

If it isn't deep, Dave has a good answer. You may still see the scratch but nobody else will. If the scratch is deeper you can always fill the gouge with spackle or some such filler then touch it up with paints or pencils that closely match the varying color. I do wood carving and paint many of my carvings so I'm familiar with mixing colors, etc. The key is a very fine paint brush, varying the colors to match each small area where the color varies in the flooring. One color probably won't do it. Or just cover it up with a rug. Or don't worry about it...it is your house and is meant to be used...

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Chip999

Thank you all for the advice. An afterthought- would anything be wrong with simply pulling the screws, clipping about 1/4 inch off the end (essentially the tapping part), filing down the sharp clip edge, and reusing them? Instead of buying shorter, just make the screws that already fit shorter?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Knucklehead

that is what i would do Just cut it shorter
1999 F350 7.3 MTans DRW 4Door 4X4 4:10 gears
2013 Raptor 297 SE
2005 Sprinter 276FWRLS
1990 Jayco 26 Special
1985 Jayco 1008 SG Popup
Knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Jeff_S

Just a thought...We're on our 4th 5th wheel and I've removed the screws from all of them and never put them back. Never had a problem with the table moving on us.

2014 Montana High Country 318
1999 Ford F250, 7.3L Diesel
Banks Exhaust Brake,Trans Command,Trans Lock
Superchips CORTEX tuner
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

To prevent the "scratch" from peeling, go to a flooring store and get vinyl flooring seam sealer to cover the scratch. (not sure if home stores carry it) As mentioned you may want to try coloring it before sealing for cosmetic reasons. Like you said pull one screw at a time and remove the points and reinstall .... should work fine. It's just Murphy's law that when you fix one problem and are proud of yourself, you cause another to humble youself. RVs are such fun! JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote