Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Jim View Post
Okay guys, at what mileage do you think the bearings need repacking? We used it 6200 miles this summer plus about 1800 factory to dealer.

Cougar Jim
First, with 10K on the bearings, do you even know if they were properly installed and packed when the trailer left the factory or when it left the dealership? We've got numerous accounts of "improperly lubricated and improperly installed axle components" and there are at least 2 recalls for "factory problems associated with improper assembly/improper lubrication" of the axles that were delivered to customers.

I'd suggest at least a "pretty darn quick" inspection/regreasing to determine if there is anything wrong/improperly installed/inadequately greased from the factory. It could be that everything is good with no problems or it could be that "you've been darned lucky not to have had a catastrophic failure"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #22
Carolyn

I helped my 76 year old husband replace all the hydraulic hoses under our Avalanche 330RE. We had to cut the underbelly to find where they hooked to the cylinders that ran the slides! After about 4 days of being under the RV and almost $400 we had replaced the hydraulic lines by pulling them through from the old ones and had everything put back together. Talk about getting dirty!!! This was after we replaced a leaky hot water heater that had leaked into the underbelly under the bedroom along with the oil from the leaky hydraulic hose! So we had to take the gooey insulation out of there and replace t! Too much under the trailer work for a 74 and 76 year old. Then he had to put a new radiator in our Dodge Ram Diesel! I think that was number 3!! It is really hard for my life long mechanic hubby to give it up and let someone do it for him!
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #23
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Can I confess?
I PAID SOMEBODY TO PACK MY OWN WHEEL BEARINGS.
I think they even used Exxon grease.
What!!! How difficult is it to pick up a set of wheel bearings and pack them into your suitcase??? And what's all this talk about grease???
haha - Just kidding! In my book, I think you are getting smarter as you get older!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #24
Uncle Dougie

Old but wiser

I too, have many battle wounds from doing my own vehicle maintenance. I considered myself to be successfully retired when I felt that I could afford to pay someone else to do the dirty work. Last year I took my Keystone Premier 30REPR to the dealer to have the wheel bearings packed and a couple of other small things done. I towed to Texas and back from Missouri for the winter. When I was setting up the I noticed, the cap was knocked out and the grease cap had come off and had been bouncing around in the center cap for who knows how many miles. I had to take the wheel off and put the grease cap back on. When we got back home the RV sat for a while and I decided to drain the system to sanitize. When I got under the TT to open the low point drain I noticed that the brake wire had been cut and the end taped. I had many questions, did it come from the factory like that, or did the dealership mechanic disconnect it? Why didn't the mechanic notice this disconnected wire? I'm not too proud of myself for allowing this to happen. I think I will try to find a helpful neighbor and give them a little mechanical knowledge, while I supervise from now on. It is a shame that the dealer network cannot provide better service.
Uncle Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #25
Rubicon100

Gearhead I completely understand. My dad taught us kids when we were growing up to always fix our own stuff but I just got home from dropping off my wifes Tahoe for a fuel pump.
I'm not in good enough health right now and I felt guilty but I know the owner of the shop and I trust he will do it right. At least you are taking care of your camper and making sure it's ready to go anywhere you want.
You are forgiven and stay safe.
Dan
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #26
fordmd

Wheel bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Can I confess?
We're all friends right?
Don't tell anybody.

I PAID SOMEBODY TO PACK MY OWN WHEEL BEARINGS.

Never before have I committed such an act in all my 68 years.
Don't let my ex-coworkers find out.
I think they even used Exxon grease.
Oh the shame.
I’m in my early 50’s and I just paid someone to do by brake shoes and bearings. Maybe I should be ashamed, but I’m not. I’ve been an automotive technician for 35+ years and I really don’t care to sit on the ground and play with what is niw no me, nasty smelling, bearing grease. I hired a green technician to sit in on his young butt and do it for me. I supplied tools, parts, and know how. He supplied the good knees. Don’t be ashamed. It’s a miserable job, so if you can afford to do so, go for it.
fordmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmd View Post
Don’t be ashamed. It’s a miserable job, so if you can afford to do so, go for it.
Keeps me employed

I’m 62, been wrenching on cars “on the side” for over 40 years and still to cheap to pay someone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #28
Braysgrandpa

Hanging my head in shame...

53 years old, heavily used and abused by the US Army for 27 years. You're right I'm gonna pay somebody!!
Braysgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #29
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Jim View Post
Okay guys, at what mileage do you think the bearings need repacking? We used it 6200 miles this summer plus about 1800 factory to dealer.

Cougar Jim
I would just guess at 12,000, 15,000 max.
In my previous life it was expected for pump, turbine, gearbox bearings to have a 8 year life of continuous service.
But I'm assuming a API pump had much more vigorous engineering than a spindle for a travel trailer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #30
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Well, "Gearhead" you are not! Next step is to change your screen name! Lol
Troy
I'm thinking of a new one, but cant say it here.

And yes, I pay my car dealer $10 labor to change oil.
And no, I don't go in the customer waiting room and play on my phone.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:25 AM   #31
atkinsb3

Realizing age and health will eventually bring it to an end, but I got tired of paying people to screw up my vehicles and having to take things back a second or third time.. so started doing everything that I can myself. I found the quality of workmanship has dramatically increased and I have more money in my pocket.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #32
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Not only do I let somebody repack my wheel bearing, but I go to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. I used to do that stuff awhile back, but no longer. Let some young kid get dirty and bloody knuckles.
Where I live, getting rid of used oil is a PITA, so I pay someone to change my oil.

I repacked my bearings myself this year.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #33
atkinsb3

Pretty lucky as far as disposing of used oil goes. We can take it to the county dump and get rid of it for nothing (well ok, taxes)...and we live a little over 5 miles from the dump.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #34
Logan X

The last time I repacked the wheel bearings on my trailer I peeled my 12 year old son away from his phone long enough to help me. We had a good time. I like to do as much work on my trailer as I can, but only because I enjoy it. If I didn’t enjoy it or if I couldn’t, there is absolutely no shame in paying someone else to do it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #35
Rwake901

At 61 I still do everything I can myself. Mostly because I trust my work. I already draw the line at roofing though, that’s a young mans job! I know those days are coming to an end and I too will have to hire most things done. The thing I worry about though is finding someone you can trust. Sucks getting older. 🙂
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #36
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwake901 View Post
Sucks getting older. 🙂
But it beats the alternative,
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #37
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I think the most important thing here is that you know how to do the work and could do it if needed.
I don't believe you should RV unless you are capable and have the knowledge to do, at least, the minor maintenance and repairs. Being broke down without knowledge and ability makes you vulnerable to overcharging.

I do my own brakes and wheel bearings, and chassis maintenance because I don't trust anyone else to do it. As a young man I worked in a brake shop, and the way the workers are rushed scares me.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #38
BikerRN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
In the old days, dads could convince their sons to learn how to do certain jobs, such as packing bearings, mowing the lawn, and other less than desirable jobs, but any more, all the kids want to do is play on their phones. Maybe dads should start trying to get their daughters to learn these jobs
Mine did just that. He wanted me to be a strong independent woman...it worked! That said, I usually pay, but don't get taken advantage of.
BikerRN1 is offline   Reply With Quote