Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
Larsan3636

Summit TV w/ Roku

We have a new keystone resident set up about 100 yards from our sons house. It came with a summit tv with roku on the remote,and a booster on the hall wall we would like advice on what we need to get all roku channels, we do get a few, as well as some of our local channels. Will a WiFi booster from their house work? Or do we need our own internet provider? And which roku unit is advised. Thanks for the help.
Larsan3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
travelin texans

I think you'll have to pay for the subscription for Roku & have a strong wifi system to use it. I believe all those internet tv companies (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) all require a small subscription fee to actvate. Streaming tv uses a lot of data, using through our cell service 15gigs last about a movie & a 1/2 before it slows too slow for movies.
I'm not a techy so I may giving false info, hopefully some with more knowledgeable jump in.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

At 100yds. from the wifi router your extender may or may not pick it up - I doubt it. If it does you would either have to get the sign in criteria for whatever pay services your son uses or sign up for them and pay the monthly fee for the Roku to do you any good IMO.

If you have set up a new residence model and intend to stay there I would just contact the local ISP and get your own dedicated internet loop. Then sign up for Netflix, Amazon or whatever else you are interested in and go for it. In our case we removed Dish from 4 houses (each costing about 120-140mo.) and installed internet with Netflix and Amazon subscriptions. The internet service is cheaper than Dish and we just don't watch TV much. Netflix and Amazon have zero advertisements which makes both of us VERY happy. Just stayed several weeks at a resort that only had regular TV; we had forgotten just how irritating constant commercials are. Ended up paying an internet provider $20 week so we could stream, used the laptop as a hotspot and plugged in an Amazon FireStick - all was right with the world!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
Thomasbeau

Our 2018 Hideout came with the 50" Summit TV that also had Roku on the remote. In our case the remote can control a Roku device but there is no built in hardware in our TV.

The TV did have a combination HDMI/MHL port on the back which allowed me to plug in an older MHL Roku stick. Once plugged in, the TV recognized the stick and the Summit TV remote worked like the original Roku remote. The connection to the wifi network was established through the settings on the Roku. I use an Apple Airport Extreme to broadcast our own private wifi network in our Hideout.

Works great for us even though the Summit TV appears to really be bargain basement quality. Not really a big deal since we aren't camping to sit around and watch TV.
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Steveo57

On ours the Roku button just selects the HDMI 3 input port. It's not a smart TV so you have to have a Roku device plugged in to the port. There's no monthly fee for the device, you purchase it and when you connect it to the internet you can stream video from the various "channels" that are available. Some are pay some are free.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:07 AM   #6
GeekSquadOfUn

Like mentionned above, the button labelled Roku is just a button to switch the input to HDMI 3.

To which you need to connect a Roku device.

My guess is that Roku paid Summit a fee to label that button...
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote