Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
ColoradoKTM

Suggestions on dealing with Keystone Warranty?

Looking for some advice please...

Purchased a new 2019 Coleman 250TQ April 2019 from Camping World. I've had great experience with the dealership so far and when I brought the unit in for a separate issue, the tech noted several screws backing out of the roof pushing up on the membrane and that he siding on both sides was too tall which results in improper roof slope. I've since noticed and dealer has noted that the front left siding panel closest to the roof has a bulge in it as well. Approximately 1-2" bulged out in the aluminum.

Keystone has denied the warranty stating that until the screws pierce the membrane there's nothing to claim. I've been calling Keystone HQ since June and they've held firm on this. Somehow to them screws backing out is normal? I was told today that since my file is noted that if there's a roof failure later on they would "consider" this if I filed a warranty claim later with a pierced roof due to the screws. She offered to put this in writing, but I declined stating that's their way out. I've pushed to talk to senior warranty representatives however they will not provide phone numbers, just email addresses.

The dealership has recommended an entire roof replacement due the the screws backing out and replacing the wood underlayment as well.

What suggestions do you all have to get Keystone to honor their warranty? I have lots of photos and notes both at home and at Camping World to verify. Thank you!
ColoradoKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry it has to be under these circumstances. How the warranty claim is written by the tech/dealer can have an effect on the factory authorizing/denying the claim.

I’m not on anybody’s “side” but I will say I’ve seen this before with other brands and the answer was, as long as the roof isn’t leaking there isn’t a problem. Cosmetics and functionality are different and the factories like to use that terminology.

It’s getting harder by the month to get stuff authorized and that’s across the board. Keep your cool, keep sending pictures and requests for repair. I truly wish you the best and hope you get this resolved in a satisfactory manner.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
German Shepherd Guy

Hello ColoradoKTM.
Sorry for your problem

I am a bit confused though. Coleman is made by Dutchman. Dutchman is a sub company of Thor (as is Keystone). So why does Keystone warranty your RV? Wouldn't the ones to talk to be Coleman or Dutchman?
I am just curious.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
ColoradoKTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Hello ColoradoKTM.
Sorry for your problem

I am a bit confused though. Coleman is made by Dutchman. Dutchman is a sub company of Thor (as is Keystone). So why does Keystone warranty your RV? Wouldn't the ones to talk to be Coleman or Dutchman?
I am just curious.
You're correct in the parent/sub brands. Dealer told me to call Keystone, so I did. I've been calling them since June and since they have my VIN# on file and all of my warranty notes from the dealer I've never questioned if I'm calling the 'correct' parent company. I thought Keystone was the overall parent.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

https://www.dutchmen.com/product/coleman-lantern

https://www.keystonerv.com/brands/

Above are links to the websites of both Dutchmen and Keystone. Note that Coleman is part of the Dutchmen line and not Keystone. The parent company/corporation of both is Thor. The Coleman line does not intersect anywhere with Keystone. I'm confused why the dealership would advise you to do that. To me it appears it would only complicate matters. If it were me I would be asking for an explanation from the dealership. You may be running in circles.

I will say that "raised screws" will not be considered from my experience. The aren't considered a problem, only cosmetic, until they pierce the membrane. I have about 8 on mine that wanted to be "ornery" so I just cut some pieces of Eternabond tape and placed over them. If they pierce the roof membrane they still have to get through the Eternabond.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
ColoradoKTM

Thank you @Sourdough. I went back and tried the 800# I've been using and the automated answering machine says "thank you for calling Keystone, Dutchman, (and one other) trailers." So, it appears I'm at least calling the right place. Dealer told me the screws were not countersunk properly and they are backing out. I'm well versed in residential construction but not RVs. In other owner's experiences are the screws possibly backing out or just not in all the way? Eternabond is a great repair method however I feel that on a new trailer it should be built properly to begin with? Again, first trailer here so while I had low expectations to start with this seems lower than anticipated.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
travelin texans

A couple years ago in a cost saving move by Thor they lumped Crossroads, Dutchman, Coleman & a couple other brands under the management of Keystone. They are still separate entities with separate factories, but the under the direction of the GM of Keystone, all warranty claims go through Keystone.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ What Danny said... The Dutchman manufacturing facilities sit directly behind the fence of the Keystone campus. Several years ago Keystone assumed management responsibility for Dutchman when almost all of the management team "across the fence" was let go. When Coleman Lantern Company and Camping World wanted their "own" trailer brand, they contracted with THOR to build the Coleman brand to be sold by Camping World.

THOR assigned the construction to Dutchman as they had some "vacant facilities" and had the space to build the new line. Since Keystone manages Dutchman, Keystone also manages Coleman. All of the Keystone, Dutchman and Coleman warranty claims are managed by the Keystone warranty division.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Guys, I was confused about a 2008 Cougar model and only had the VIN so I contacted Keystone and a super nice lady answered me and this is her signature on her email:

(NAME DELETED FOR PRIVACY REASON)
Owner Relations
Keystone, Dutchmen & Crossroads
Phone: (866) 425-4369
Fax: (866) 273-1451

-------- A person far more knowledgeable than I explained that temporary management shakes ups in the two non-Keystone lines put the support for those lines on the Keystone plate. The temporary likely has become non-temporary and it would seem support for Dutchman and Crossroads which are in very close proximity to Keystone are now under the purview of Keystone. When and if support rolls back to the separate RV lines is unclear but having worked for large businesses, sounds like they are trying to save a buck and have adopted the "do more with less" philosophy to save a buck perhaps. Support for Keystone products may not improve if more is on the plate of the Keystone staff. Dunno... time will tell.

This may be an underlying factor in why warranty claims are not readily being approved and why some patience and persistence may be needed to get the RV lines to bless repairs on their shoddy workmanship.

A Texas RV selling chain Fun Town started their own PDI facility up in Indiana to try and catch some of this trouble prior to it being dumped into the lap of their dealerships. I understand they had a hard time finding staff but dealers are looking at this as selling junk hurts THEIR business. Jayco also opened a third PDI facility in Middlebury IN to try and stem the flow of problem product to dealers. Hopefully this will catch on with other lines and mega-dealerships. Camping World is a major Keystone dealer and I can't see them going in this direction, sadly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^^Good info! I knew that there were shakeups going round at one time but never followed up to see who did what to whom. Unfortunately I'm afraid it doesn't bode well for Keystone, their corporate "customer service/owner relations" folks and especially owners. I've been through multiple corporate "mergers and/or buyouts". You take 2-3 similar operations, find duplications in services, dump all but one and dump everything on them. The "buyer" or "stronger" partner in the merger has then cut "duplicate" costs, so they say, but in reality dumped 2-3 times the workload on the remaining individuals and generally they have zero idea of what it is that was dumped on them.

My thinking on getting a new Keystone (I DO love their floorplans) may be changing. It was difficult to get warranty work approved at times in the past but we got it done. With this kind of load and those folks just looking for the easy answer (no) to get to the next guy.....I'm not so sure. I think a call to my favorite service manager and gm is probably in order.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
DiGiTaL D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
https://www.dutchmen.com/product/coleman-lantern

https://www.keystonerv.com/brands/

Above are links to the websites of both Dutchmen and Keystone. Note that Coleman is part of the Dutchmen line and not Keystone. The parent company/corporation of both is Thor. The Coleman line does not intersect anywhere with Keystone.
My Coleman Lantern is an '18 model made in July of '17. The label on the side of the trailer says its made by Keystone. Doesn't mention Dutchmen or Thor anywhere. So confusing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191204_123126.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	24509  
Old 12-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTaL D View Post
My Coleman Lantern is an '18 model made in July of '17. The label on the side of the trailer says its made by Keystone. Doesn't mention Dutchmen or Thor anywhere. So confusing.
If you had read two more posts (#8) in this thread, I expanded on the relationship between Keystone, Dutchman and Coleman brands.... The "parent company" is Keystone for both Dutchman and Coleman lines of RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, warranty