Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart1 View Post
Jayco has a 2 year warranty and is warranted for full timing. The structure is 3 year warranty similar to some other manufacturers. If you have the opportunity to visit a Jayco dealer, here are a couple of mid room models:
https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...point/377rlbh/
https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...nnacle/37mdqs/
This is on page 30 of the Jayco Pinnacle Owner's Manual:

"Extended Or Full Time Usage
Your new recreation vehicle has been built for enjoyment in a recreational manner. It is not intended for use as full-time quarters or a permanent residence. Continuous living in your vehicle could cause accelerated wear and damage to the various components."

"CAUTION: Continuous or permanent living in your recreation vehicle may affect your warranty coverage and may void the “Limited Warranty” applicable to your vehicle."

The three year structural warranty for Jayco towable products started with 2020 models. It does not include any previous models (per the Jayco website)
https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...warranty-info/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #22
DrSmart1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Your new recreation vehicle has been built for enjoyment in a recreational manner. It is not intended for use as full-time quarters or a permanent residence. Continuous living in your vehicle could cause accelerated wear and damage to the various components."

"CAUTION: Continuous or permanent living in your recreation vehicle may affect your warranty coverage and may void the “Limited Warranty” applicable to your vehicle."

The three year structural warranty for Jayco towable products started with 2020 models. It does not include any previous models (per the Jayco website)

Hi John. Starting with the 2020 North Point and Pinnacle models Jayco is providing 2 years warranty for full timing and is stated in their 2020 documentation. They also made it retroactive for 2019 models. They have been slow to update their on line documentation.
DrSmart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

That's not what the owner's manual and the downloadable information reflects. If there's additional documentation, please provide either a pdf or a photo of the source document. Otherwise, it's a competing brand to Keystone and "ACCURATE" information is welcomed. Recommending a competitor without accurate source documents isn't a great way to join a product related forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #24
DrSmart1

Quote:
That's not what the owner's manual and the downloadable information reflects. If there's additional documentation, please provide either a pdf or a photo of the source document. Otherwise, it's a competing brand to Keystone and "ACCURATE" information is welcomed. Recommending a competitor without accurate source documents isn't a great way to join a product related forum.

Sorry our documentation is in our trailer. This from Haylett RV:

Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
Old 09-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Good information, but so far, it's a "sales video from an RV dealership" with no documentation from Jayco to support the claims. In the video he says, "Jayco is stepping up to the plate with full time living warranty like Montana does." At any rate, I'd want to see it in writing from Jayco before putting it out as "facts you can count on".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart1 View Post
Sorry our documentation is in our trailer. This from Haylett RV:

I'm sure I can pull up a video somewhere of some tow vehicle pulling the space shuttle, or 100,000 lbs. of bricks...but, it has nothing to do with reality. I've watched many Haylett RV videos but the manufacturer certainly doesn't abide or honor anything they say.

My thought would be, as John mentioned, been here for 3 posts and nothing said but the "wonderfulness" of Jayco, which I've owned, and nothing of benefit that I can see for Keystone owners as far as concerns for a unit or beneficial input. What say you??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #27
DrSmart1

Gentlemen. I didn't realize my comments would bring about this kind of response but I can understand your concerns for validation. I only recently joined this forum but have been a member of the MOC group for 9 years. We enjoyed our Montana and traveled many miles with it. It has taken good care of us. When we decided to look for a new trailer, the dealer carried Montana and Jayco products. We just happened to like the floor plan in the North Point and went with it. They're all under Thor now anyway. The 2020 North Point has been at dealers for a couple of months now but the web site hasn't been updated yet. I sent Jayco a request for the updated warranty this morning and their response was "We are hoping to have the 2020 product information on our website before the week is out.Thanks again for your note. Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions or needs"
Hopefully my comments regarding the full time warranty will be easily sourced by the end of the week. I'm not willing to make the one hour round trip to our trailer storage to take a photo of the warranty page in our manual. Anyone can call a Jayco dealer or Jayco themselves if interested.

Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
Old 09-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

DrSmart1,

Check your PM's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #29
wiredgeorge

I think it is a great idea to haze anyone with a post count under... well say 10. That way we can see if they are true Keystone believers! Go get 'em John!

Honestly, I think the guy is seriously trying to make what he feels is a valid point. Being touchy when someone politely disagrees is a poor way to get old.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #30
Tbos

Last year at the Richmond VA RV show in Feb I talked to rep of a company owned by Thor. They said Thor invest in companies and helps build their infrastructure to improve production. Thor then lets the companies run themselves. He also said that when Forest River buys a company they enforce their processes. I’m not sure which is better. I’ve seen issues with rigs from companies owned by either parent company. FWIW, I like Alpines but still wish they’d build in more quality. Even in high dollar rigs I see shortcuts. JM2C. [emoji39]
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #31
pdaniel

Quote:

I owned a Keystone product. When we looked we also considered Jayco. Settled for the Keystone. That was a mistake. So, this past spring DW and I went to a local RV show to find something to replace the Cougar. We were looking for an "extended stay" 5th wheel. Looked at the Cougar (again), Montana, Jayco and Solitude. One noticeable thing with the Thor products they all exhibit the same type of workmanship, and shortcuts. The Montana and Jayco should have stood out but didn't. There were no Forest River brands-Cedar Creek or Cardinal-on display. So, we took a chance on looking closer at the Solitude. And went back and forth comparing. Settled on the Solitude. Yes, I will agree they all have their issues. A friend of mine told me not too long ago, an owner of a Tiffin Allegro Bus, that we, the buyer, are the quality control department. Very true.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a friend who owns a 2 million dollar motorhome. It's his second, the first was a 1.5 million dollar model. They live in the motorhome half the year and in their house the other half of the year. BOTH of his motorhomes have been riddled with problems and he has not yet managed to complete a trip with either. His regular agenda is to drive the motorhome for his "vacation" and drop it off at the factory for repairs and fly home, fly back out to get it when the factory gets the repairs done and when he gets it home, drop it off at the dealership to fix the things that break on the trip from the factory. On a trip about a year ago (on his "cheap one") he broke down in the northwest, left it in a small town, caught a taxi to the airport and flew home, called his dealer and told them to deal with it.

Trust me when I say, it's not "just Keystone", just THOR, just Tiffin, just towables, just cheap units, just bad luck..... The RV industry produces "exactly what the public will purchase"....... Would it be nice if they were all problem free? sure would.... Will it happen? Not as long as people are standing in line with credit approvals in hand to buy anything they drag to a dealer's lot.....

It's easy to blame Keystone, or THOR or ???? but in reality, until the public "just says NO" things aren't going to change.... We get what we line up to say yes to and buy as fast as they can sling 'em together.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-19-2019, 11:12 PM   #33
Big1

Yep, pretty much I agree.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #34
Ken / Claudia

This week I had a article pop up on google about poor RV build quality. I did not save it or remember who authored the story. For fun I read it with an open mind. They talked about recent years the high numbers being built. A school opened to teach workers how to build and service RVs and thought that may help in the future. Interviewed a bunch of R/V owners who just purchased motorhomes to pull trailers. No one was happy with the construction and problems the units had. All different makes included. Author made a comment about how it is not like buying a car at all and new RV buyers have no idea about how common issues are. Also mentioned the long time frames at dealers to get work done. I wondered how much the author had pulled from this site since the old timers have been saying almost everything he wrote. Bottom line was the RV industry as a whole has issues just as stated in this post and sorry to say Keystone is no better or worse than everyone else.
My opinion is do a better PDI, fix stuff yourself or learn how to. Hope the unit you got is free of any major defects. To keep any value or life in any RV they require maintenance and a lot of maintenance. Either by the owner or a shop. In the end of a 10 year loan most RVs are about ready for the salvage yard.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #35
CenTXMichellle

We have a 2018 Avalanche 375RD. Everyone loves the roomy home-like layout and the only problem we've had has been with the furnace, but the dealer swapped it out while we waited. We have lived in it full time from day one. At home, we are on our own property on concrete with a cover, so it is well taken care of. The 5w feels like it was designe for me. It is 2 yrs old next month.
CenTXMichellle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #36
CenTXMichellle

That's sad. We bought a 1999 Fleetwood Flair class A for $14,000 cash 2 years ago, hubby had to work on the hydraulics, otherwise we've been all over Texas and in the mountains on New Mexico with zero problems. Maybe your friend should looked at used ones and keep some money and time to enjoy life.
CenTXMichellle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:59 AM   #37
kckettridge

We have had many different brands over the years and just purchased our 2020 Cougar 315RLS this year. Not real happy with the fit, finish and overall construction of the unit but most brands are "cheaping out" on everything they build. That being said; out of all the different brands, the Heartland; Grand Design and Crossroads (before Keystone bought them) were probably the best in terms of build quality, fit and finish. BTW, our Cougar is at the dealer now for warranty work. Only twice out and already have had issues.
kckettridge is offline   Reply With Quote