Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
nathan634

Atwood HE-0801 doesn't work on DC mode

I have a 2013 Keystone Premier with an Atwood HE-0801 that doesn't work on DC mode. This is the 3 way model with the 12v DC heating element. I can't get it to work on DC, but works on LP and A/C. I've checked both 3 amp and the 20 amp fuses block behind the unit. I'll are good and reading battery voltage across the board. When I try to select DC mode, it does skips over it giving only Auto-Gas-A/C. Any ideas where to go from here? Thanks for any help
nathan634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It was my understanding that Keystone never opted to install the 3-way Atwood HE-0801 refrigerator in any of their trailers. If I remember correctly, the control panel was "generic" and all of the functions were available, but only the GAS and AC functions were operable. You might want to dig out your owner's manual and compare the schematic on page 10 with what's actually on the control board/heater wiring in the back of your refrigerator.

Dometic "bought out Atwood" and ceased production of the "helium series" so treat your refrigerator with "kid gloves"... If it breaks or if you need spare parts, you may not find them at any service center. That refrigerator is "as scarce as hen's teeth" and getting even more difficult to find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
nathan634

Turns out your correct. Could have sworn that it was running on dc when I purchased it, but looking at the power board proves otherwise. It has the fuse, but no terminals soldered to the board for the 12v heating element. Thank you for clearing that all up.
nathan634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Honestly, with a 6 or 8 cuft absorption refrigerator, the DC heating element would completely drain a GP24 battery in a couple hours. It's sort of: Stop at McDonald's for lunch, leave the refrigerator in the trailer on DC and come out to a dead battery. We had a 3.5 cuft Dometic 3 way in our cab-over camper on a Dodge truck with a single battery, if we stopped for an hour or more and the refrigerator was running on DC, we couldn't start the truck when we got back...

So, in the "grand scheme of things" you'd probably never use it except when towing and then, if you're planning to dry camp, you'd use more battery power than the truck could replace while towing, so after a couple of trips, you'd learn to just leave it on propane. In other words, you'd learn not to use the DC section.... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod