Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #51
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

Since you and I both have a vested interest in this problem let me run this possibility by you.

With the water system hooked up (city water or with a primed pump) the system is pressurized to around 45 psi.... the naturally occurring air pocket floating in the top of the hot water tank is compressed to the same 45 psi level.

Now.... If you push the toilet pedal to flush it,... The compressed air pocket will expand and will force water out of the tank through the normal cold water input to the tank straight to the toilet via the short pex connection.... Carrying with it sediment from the tank. This would only occur when city water is disconnected and/ or pump is off.

Before I hit the road one of the last things I do is release the water in the toilet bowl.... I was always amazed at the amount of water that would flow even when pump is off and city water is not connected.... the pressure must be coming partly from the air balloon in the hot water tank.

Opinions????????
I would not drain the toilet bowl before traveling!! That bowl full of water is only thing keeping the seal from releasing very smelly gases from your black tank into the RV. Yes I know the tank is vented through the roof, but without water in the bowl covering that tiny rubber seal it's also highly possible it's also vented in the bathroom.
In over 40 years rving I've never had water splash out of the toilet during travel & if it didn't happen going across the worst highways ever in Louisiana it would never happen.
When away from home do you shut the water off to your toilet & drain the bowl/tank in your house, if not why do it in your RV?
If you feel the need to release the pressure off the water lines before travel open a faucet, but leave the water in the toilet.

travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:35 AM   #52
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I would not drain the toilet bowl before traveling!! That bowl full of water is only thing keeping the seal from releasing very smelly gases from your black tank into the RV. Yes I know the tank is vented through the roof, but without water in the bowl covering that tiny rubber seal it's also highly possible it's also vented in the bathroom.
In over 40 years rving I've never had water splash out of the toilet during travel & if it didn't happen going across the worst highways ever in Louisiana it would never happen.
When away from home do you shut the water off to your toilet & drain the bowl/tank in your house, if not why do it in your RV?
If you feel the need to release the pressure off the water lines before travel open a faucet, but leave the water in the toilet.
travelin texans: I have to drain the water out of the bowl or else I end up with water all over the bathroom floor from sloshing...... my issue was discussed at length on this forum back in 2013 when I purchased the TT.

The design of the 310 toilet bowl does not have a ridge at the top such as a house toilet. Since the toilet is in the rear of my TT, the "bounciest" part of a TT water sloshes out while traveling..... so draining is a must.

To address your concern with the smell, I seal the toilet bowl with Saran wrap before I drain the bowl thus no noxious smells are emitted to the interior.

As to your question concerning the toilet bowl in my house being drained.... "No"....I don't drain the bowl as my house doesn't bounce down the highway at 60mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy trails.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #53
LHaven

I have exactly the same set up and the same problem. I sloshed on my first trip, now I'm careful to drain all but the merest bit of water before we leave.

I bought the water heater flush out tool yesterday, but haven't had a chance to use it. I'm more and more convinced that my problem is due to water heater sediment backing down the intake line.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #54
LHaven

Haven't flushed the sediment out of the water heater yet, because tonight I'm in a waterless campground, but I did re-inspect the piping, and I am more and more convinced that we have found the mechanism that distributes this sediment. It's completely obvious how sediment could find its way out of the bottom of the water heater and into the toilet, which is the short pipe that goes through the wall at the right hand side. I think the easiest permanent fix here is going to be to put a shark bite check valve at the far end of the blue loop in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C315DD3D-B3D9-45E0-B4A7-68856A6094EF.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	23658  
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #55
JRTJH
Site Team

If you want to verify your hunch, just turn the winterization valve on the bottom connection behind the water heater. That will remove the water heater from the system and you can then determine if the toilet strainer continues to clog. If it does, then it's not the water heater as it would be removed from the plumbing via the "bypass valve (winterization valve)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #56
LHaven

Yeah, that's a clever test, delivering quick results. I can execute it tomorrow before we start on the next leg of our trip. I already scooped out a full thimble of crud to get the toilet running again after we set up tonight, so I'll have a good baseline. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #57
LHaven

Well, that did it. I closed the bottom valve, did about 400 miles, used the toilet once on the road and once as soon as we set up camp, and it flowed full force. It's definitely hot water heater sediment migrating backwards out the cold feed.

I'll flush the sediment when I get to our destination, then I'll look at inserting a check valve into the cold feed (it may be a challenge, as that loop is way the heck in there).

Thanks to all who helped narrow this down.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #58
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Well, that did it. I closed the bottom valve, did about 400 miles, used the toilet once on the road and once as soon as we set up camp, and it flowed full force. It's definitely hot water heater sediment migrating backwards out the cold feed.

I'll flush the sediment when I get to our destination, then I'll look at inserting a check valve into the cold feed (it may be a challenge, as that loop is way the heck in there).

Thanks to all who helped narrow this down.
Good job!!!!!!!!!

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet