Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
Salt Life

Cleaning rubber roof........

What is the most effective product to get rid of the little black spots which I assume is mildew? Also, what is the process I should use to remove those spots. Type of brush etc.......

I cleaned it about a month ago using rv cleaner which appears to have a littlle bleach in it and a soft brush on a extending, retracting pole. Basically, what I use on the walls.

I'm assuming a stiffer brush would work better, what else?

Thanks.. .
Salt Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It's been my experience that once a EPDM or TPO roof membrane "yellows/stains" with age, nothing will make it look like new again. You can spend lots of time and effort trying, but those "black spots" simply turn to "gray spots" and the "ultra-bright glow" of a new roof won't return.

You can recoat the roof with one of several "after market products", some with a lifetime guarantee, some without. Many cost as much as a new roof, some less expensive. Even with them, once you park under trees in a campground for a season, your roof will take on the appearance it has right now.

So, with the knowledge that it will never "look like new again" just do a good cleaning on your roof, make sure it's "mechanically sound with no leaks and no deteriorated/damaged sealant and "keep on camping"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
notanlines

Salt life, you simply cannot fudge your undies over the discoloration of a surface that can't be seen from the ground. Follow John's advice first of all, second of all make sure when you're scrubbing the roof that you rinse the sides VERY well so those same suds don't stain or mark your filon/paint/decals.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof