Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #21
7Iron

Refrig center closure panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyou View Post
Decided to fix by adding washers to mounting screws for center plate on top in center that moves the center plate. This seems to work. Alternative is to raise the doors with washers under the hinge pin
Preyou,

That is exactly what I thought would fix the issue, the door is about 3/16 low relative to the upper slide control. I think that I will try to raise the door with plastic washers??

Thanks

dg
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #22
JackTyniec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
After 6 months of looking and defining requirements, we picked up our Cougar 315RLS this past week.

We initially purchased (down payment made) a Montana High Country 372RD without seeing one, and when we were able to physically see one, we decided that it was too big (40ft and 13k dry)....going from a 29ft TT to this giant was a step too big.

I have a F350 6.7 LB 4x4 CB SRW and the 372 would push the upper limits of my TV, so we narrowed down to the Montana HC 305 or the Cougar 315. The 315 was selected primarily for two reasons (1.5ft more living space, dinette slide on our campsite side and refrig access in tow config) The big downside with the 315 is less available payload [5.2k axles vs 6K) and smaller bath.

The 315 had a spec dry wt of 10,562 lbs without 2nd AC and a published pin wt 1995. The actual wt (dry/empty) was 10,740 with pin of 2120.

After loading out normal TT gear the wt is now 11,520 w/pin of 2440 and was very close (within 20lbs) to my Wt & Balance spreadsheet calculator (see previous posts).

I have plenty of available TV cargo available (515 lbs) but only 1050 5er cargo available. Unfortunately, the 1050 has to be inside the 5er as the basement is full.

Doubly unfortunate is that the bedroom fwd closet and bedroom chest of drawers are nearly empty...and 88% of the wt put in these areas gets transferred to the pin/TV. The panty, hutch and refrig also have tons of space left and very little of this wt is transferred to the pin/TV.

I may need to re-engineer my loadout plan and shift basement stuff to inside...to optimize the available 5er and TV available cargo and axle ratings

What is remarkable is the significant difference in the TV handling compared to the TT.

The overall rig length only grew by 6 inches, and the living area grew by 10 ft in length and nearly 3 ft in width (2 additional slides) --- 60% more sq ft (208 vs 333).

And the pivoting point of the tow is 2.75 ft shorter (closer to TV) with the 5er.

The real bummer is that it is nearly 2 foot taller and I can't get it under the live oak tree in front of my house....

I think we are going to love the new rig!!
Good luck with your new rig. We have a Cougar 32 RLI TT. One thing we did to help balance the load is to move some heavier items from the TV and TT to the cargo carrier in the back and it helps. I don't know if your 5er comes with that but you may be able to add it on.
JackTyniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:36 AM   #23
turbo

Question 315rls and F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalinto View Post
We just got back from the "Maiden Voyage" of our 315RLS. Our rig tows nice behind out Ford F-350 and it is far less stressful (less white knuckle) than our previous 25 foot Bullet Premier TT. One of the best things I did when I got the trailer in the winter was to buy a giant binder and index all my manuals. It sure has made referencing things a lot easier. We are very happy with this unit!
HI there - just bought a 2019 F350 (diesel, 4x4, SRW, full cab, short box) and am seriously looking at buying the 2109 Cougar 315rls. As some have noted, the 350 sits about 3 inches higher than my old F150. Any issues as a result of this height? You have the same combo that Im looking at so really interested in hearing your level of satisfaction, plus what hitch are you using (researching the various slider hitches at the moment). Thanks in advance.
Turbo
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #24
Apalinto

Hi turbo. First of all, our F-350 is a 2006 so it may not compare to your 19’ new hotness, those rigs are awesome! We have owned our F-350 since new and have left it pretty much stock except for Firestone Ride-Rite airbags that we leave at 10 lbs. since there is minimal sage towing the 315RLS. We have zero concerns over truck height towing the 315. Attached picture shows the clearance (kinda). We use a B&W Companion Hitch (also a 2006) and we love it. We like that it comes apart in two pieces which make it easier for us old guys. We like that the bed is smooth when the hitch is out and we like the option of the gooseneck hitch since it came with a “turn over” ball. There is a lot of good technology out there, some guys are opting for the Andersen 3200/3220 hitches and I hear they are pretty good. If clearance was an issue, I could still raise my entire hitch one more notch. We have had a lot of RVs over the years, tent trailers, toy hauler 5’ers, Class A, and tow behind travel trailers. But we love our 315RLS! Great manageable mid weight unit, loaded with features we love and which cost a lot to buy separately, like the MORryde Steps, the iN-Command with Global Connect (I wake up in the morning, grab my phone and turn on the furnace, ha ha!), the Lippert 4-point leveling, the 300 lb. hitch for my moto, the rear camera prep (I installed the camera system yesterday, it was a snap). We really like the lighting, the storage which is off the chain, the window blinds, the 12 c.f. Refer, 50” 4K Ultra TV and the “Key TV” system. We ordered our 315 with the bedroom AC (which made overall height 13”-5”) and the king bed. If you pick one up and want to compare notes ever, please chat me up on this forum. Good luck turbo. Cheers! [/IMG]
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #25
Apalinto

Here is a picture showing the clearance.
[IMG][/IMG]
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #26
turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalinto View Post
Here is a picture showing the clearance.
[IMG][/IMG]
Much appreciated - safe travels!
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
For all of the 315 owners:

The attached spreadsheet will calculate your ESTIMATED pin wt if you enter the wt and location of all your cargo.

You do not need to add the 2nd AC, Battery, Spare tire, and propane, as these are included in the base dry wt in cell B3. Both pin wt and GVW are actual weights from my purchased 315 and the only cargo (other than the options above) was the owner’s manuals.

You will need to clear my cargo wt and location (ft from rear) and enter your own. Notice that the model is extremely precise [that does not mean ACCURATE] . i.e. Precise= that a reduction of 3 inches of the basement storage location (from 24.50 ft to 24.25) at 587 lbs will reduce the pin wt by 6 lbs.

After entering your wt and loc and weight verification, enter your baseline in B52 you can get a sense of "what ifs" by altering your load out plan. You will see the 6 lbs as described above as an example.

There are two pictures [plan and side views] that have been scaled [pretty close] to provide feet from rear for different locations in the 315.

There are two dots on the plan view indicating what happened to the dry configuration longitudinal center of gravity (blue) after loading out my 315. It shifted fwd about a foot.

BTW: notice that most (67%) of my cargo wt/mass (and volume) is in the basement and that about half of it is transferred to the pin. [you will need to zero the wt of the Bicycle rack and bikes to follow the math.}

BTW2: Notice the bike rack location is a negative 1.5 ft and that this 95 lbs actually reduces the pin wt by 62 lbs....!!

Notice that I only have 775 lbs of remaining/available cargo, and the basement is full, so I am thinking that this design assumed a lot of boondocking as the only real cargo missing is food (~100-150) so the only way I can utilize all the cargo is in the tanks. I have written to Keystone to find out where the center of each of the 4 tanks are located. I will share when I receive those locations.

Play around with the model and email or msg me and I will give you my 2 cents....

PS: You need to enter your TV allowed pin wt in B50...that is the TV Available cargo [found on the driver side door sticker] minus fuel, passengers , laptops , coffee, tool box, 5er hitch etc. Note: that depending on the MFG some fuel and generally a 150lb driver has been accounted for in the sticker wt....investigate your configuration
This is awesome.... I appreciate you taking the time to figure this out. You should develop an app with different models. It’s been a real help in figuring out my weight issues
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #28
rhagfo

Quote:
After 6 months of looking and defining requirements, we picked up our Cougar 315RLS this past week.

We initially purchased (down payment made) a Montana High Country 372RD without seeing one, and when we were able to physically see one, we decided that it was too big (40ft and 13k dry)....going from a 29ft TT to this giant was a step too big.

I have a F350 6.7 LB 4x4 CB SRW and the 372 would push the upper limits of my TV, so we narrowed down to the Montana HC 305 or the Cougar 315. The 315 was selected primarily for two reasons (1.5ft more living space, dinette slide on our campsite side and refrig access in tow config) The big downside with the 315 is less available payload [5.2k axles vs 6K) and smaller bath.

The 315 had a spec dry wt of 10,562 lbs without 2nd AC and a published pin wt 1995. The actual wt (dry/empty) was 10,740 with pin of 2120.

After loading out normal TT gear the wt is now 11,520 w/pin of 2440 and was very close (within 20lbs) to my Wt & Balance spreadsheet calculator (see previous posts).

I have plenty of available TV cargo available (515 lbs) but only 1050 5er cargo available. Unfortunately, the 1050 has to be inside the 5er as the basement is full.

Doubly unfortunate is that the bedroom fwd closet and bedroom chest of drawers are nearly empty...and 88% of the wt put in these areas gets transferred to the pin/TV. The panty, hutch and refrig also have tons of space left and very little of this wt is transferred to the pin/TV.

I may need to re-engineer my loadout plan and shift basement stuff to inside...to optimize the available 5er and TV available cargo and axle ratings

What is remarkable is the significant difference in the TV handling compared to the TT.

The overall rig length only grew by 6 inches, and the living area grew by 10 ft in length and nearly 3 ft in width (2 additional slides) --- 60% more sq ft (208 vs 333).

And the pivoting point of the tow is 2.75 ft shorter (closer to TV) with the 5er.

The real bummer is that it is nearly 2 foot taller and I can't get it under the live oak tree in front of my house....

I think we are going to love the new rig!!
Sounds like found a good fit for your F350, personally I think the Montana would put you over your weights.
It will be interesting to see how you come out with the last 1,000# placed in the 5er.
I am one that wants to load the 5er, without worrying about where every pound of weight is placed. That is one of the reasons we have a DRW with 14,000# GVWR and 5,411# payload.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #29
MartinG

Sorry to sound stupid, I'm new, I think we are talking about the four door refrigerator in the 315 rls? We have owned ours now since april of 2019 and have had it in the service department more than we have been able to use it, sad but true. We still like it, but tired of things falling apart. Air conditioners were first, then Refrigerator, and the incommand, and now the hot water heater. The guys at the Columbia Missouri service center know me by first name. Only thing I would change is the bath room, flip the shower around move the toilet, and give me two sinks. Already got rid of that stupid pivot door. Sorry for the book; Martin
MartinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:27 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinG View Post
Sorry to sound stupid, I'm new, I think we are talking about the four door refrigerator in the 315 rls? We have owned ours now since april of 2019 and have had it in the service department more than we have been able to use it, sad but true. We still like it, but tired of things falling apart. Air conditioners were first, then Refrigerator, and the incommand, and now the hot water heater. The guys at the Columbia Missouri service center know me by first name. Only thing I would change is the bath room, flip the shower around move the toilet, and give me two sinks. Already got rid of that stupid pivot door. Sorry for the book; Martin
Welcome Martin. Hope you realize the thread you posted to had not had any activity for a year. Start a new post and go to the UserCP tab on each page at the top left in the black band and make a signature with your truck year/make/model and same for your camper. It will make it a lot easier to address questions you may have and it does sound like you will have some. I find the amount of issues you have had are incredible. I have a 2002 Cougar and never experienced any of these sort of issues. In any case, have a great weekend! wg
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar