Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
Wxman

Electrical Stumper (for me anyway)

OK, bear with me if I am missing the obvious. Trying to run down an intermittent "Check Trailer Wiring" message. I originally thought my original plug was bad because it got wet once and I noted where it appeared the brake contact of the trailer plug and truck receptacle were burned/pittted. I replaced both plugs and the next trip everything seemed OK. Then the problem returned.
I out installing an entire new Bargman umbilical. Straightforward install and inside of the junction box looked brand new with all the contacts well separated.
I checked the resistance between the brake and ground contacts at the plug and got 1.1; just the probes gave me about a 0.7. However, as I was probing around I found I have continuity between every contact (except the center reverse light contact) and ground, as well as between every contact and the brake contact (once again except the reverse light pin).
This is also true at the studs inside the junction box. Inside the junction box the reverse light stud is not connected to anything except the umbilical.
This can't be right can it? All lights etc., work as they should except when I get the "Check Trailer Wiring" message. At that time the brakes don't work until I get the magic "Trailer Connected" message again, usually within just a few seconds. I have confirmed that even when the brakes are not working all the lights are.
First I want to confirm that all 'continuity' is indeed incorrect and then get some hints as to where everything might run together and have a possible short/fray/etc., to start trying to repair.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Wxman

OK and never mind. Convinced myself the wiring was probably OK due to the magic of - chassis ground. Kept looking and found the following. Surely the problem exists in there somewhere.
Ironic this was a new Dexter brand brake assembly I put on this spring (about 2500 miles ago) to gain self adjusting feature and have LESS to worry about. Oh well, this may prove a simpler fix than tracing a wiring problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	24186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	24187  
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

Good job finding that. I was about to post about finding continuity through the common chassis ground then read your second post.
In retrospect, the shorted wiring at the brake assembly is understandable given the amount of shake rattle and roll the assembly would get, particularly over some of the horrendous roads we've seen. But the way you found the fault is the only way, that is, to get your hands dirty.
Thanks for the update. If I see a similar fault, I now know where I'll look first.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical