Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2018, 03:01 AM   #1
dwall

Should I wake him?

It's been raining at the campground for the past couple of days and yesterday I noticed our neighbors awning start sagging due to the water accumulating on it. They were gone so instead of watching it be destroyed I walked over and let one side down. They didn't come in until late so I didn't get to tell him about it. While drinking my coffee this morning I noticed he let it back up all the way and it's beginning to rain pretty good. No one is stirring in their camper, should I wake him or just go inside so I don't have to see it happen?
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:11 AM   #2
Northofu1

I would leave it. If I'm not mistaken the weight will usually cause one side to buckle on it's own to allow the water to drain.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:20 AM   #3
dwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I would leave it. If I'm not mistaken the weight will usually cause one side to buckle on it's own to allow the water to drain.

Even on a manual awning? I've always let mine down on one side because the middle starts to sag.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:30 AM   #4
Northofu1

Mine is power, it doesn't take much force to lower either side. The trailer is a 2015.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:31 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Manual awnings do not have the “dump” feature. If it’s sagging real bad, you probably should do it and then watch for him/her to get up. Then I would tell them what could happen, and let him/her make the decision

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:37 AM   #6
dwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Manual awnings do not have the “dump” feature. If it’s sagging real bad, you probably should do it and then watch for him/her to get up. Then I would tell them what could happen, and let him/her make the decision

It started sagging so I knocked on the door, no answer so I dropped one side still nothing from inside. I guess they are hard sleepers or had a really fun night. Just sitting here waiting on them to get up so I can let them know why there awning keeps falling on one side.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:48 AM   #7
xrated

You probably need to walk over there when they get up and ask him about that really cool new feature that he has on his trailer......."Auto Dump"!, then ask him how it works.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I agree that you need to dump it for them if they aren't doing it then be sure and talk to them. If it is like mine it will eventually dump but even then it always worries me that it lets so much build up on top that it is stretching the awning. If it doesn't have the auto dump feature you are doing him a big favor.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #9
dwall

Update: he finally woke around 10 and walked outside. He had a funny look when he saw the awning down on one side. I went and talked to him and he was clueless. Turns out this was not even his camper. He was "trying it out " from a friend to see if he wanted to buy it. He said his friend never told him anymore than how to set it up. He was thankful for what I did and had many questions about campers. I told him what I knew and introduced him to this forum. We may have a new member soon.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

No one is ever told to set his awning slightly to one side if there are heavy rains. You figure that part out when you try and open your door and there is a zillion gallons of water on the awning.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
cavediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
No one is ever told to set his awning slightly to one side if there are heavy rains. You figure that part out when you try and open your door and there is a zillion gallons of water on the awning.
Are you sure that they are rated for a zillion gallons?

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Dewall, I think you did a good thing. More people should take action in a situation like that. Only comment I thought about was I would have taken a cell phone photo of what you seen. Just to better explain the problem but, sounds like he understood anyway. In my book, you get a gold star next to your name. For job well done.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #13
BeckyMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwall View Post
Update: he finally woke around 10 and walked outside. He had a funny look when he saw the awning down on one side. I went and talked to him and he was clueless. Turns out this was not even his camper. He was "trying it out " from a friend to see if he wanted to buy it. He said his friend never told him anymore than how to set it up. He was thankful for what I did and had many questions about campers. I told him what I knew and introduced him to this forum. We may have a new member soon.
Now that is why I love camping and camping neighbors. Good job!
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #14
sugarhillctd

12 years ago our 20' long awning was out during the night and it poured.

By the morning the roller and an arm were pretty bent up. It does happen.

Good on the OP for doing that!
sugarhillctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #15
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I disagree with this. A good dealer will tell you that during your PDI, but when you're a newbie its not hard to forget that tip. Video taping your PDI will help you remember everything they explain.

However, in the OP's situation, there was no dealer PDI and probably very little guidance from the trailer's owner, so its totally understandable that he didn't know.

Personally, I don't trust the auto-dump feature and just setup my awning to be low on the side furthest from our single door.

Kudos to you dwall, for being a good neighbor!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

A New owner can easily be overwhelmed with the amount of information given. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been videoed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #17
travelin texans

Our last 2 5th wheels were bought new & the "good dealer" that did PDI on both was stumped by unlocking the door, the only thing we learned from them was they didn't have a clue about what they were selling. They learned a few things from us, hopefully remember some of it, they needed the video camera. Fortunately we weren't newbies, but feel for those that were buying at those places.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #18
travelin texans

As to the OP, in today's world I'm MUCH more hesitant to do those kinds of favors, you don't know how they may react! I'm not going to be shot trying to save someone else's awning. Granted most would be very appreciative, but it only takes one to go bad sideways very quickly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #19
Jerry S

I have found that the dealers sales people are so glad to see you leave they do only the bare minimum explanation of anything. But you did say a "good dealer" which I have not found yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I disagree with this. A good dealer will tell you that during your PDI, but when you're a newbie its not hard to forget that tip. Video taping your PDI will help you remember everything they explain.

However, in the OP's situation, there was no dealer PDI and probably very little guidance from the trailer's owner, so its totally understandable that he didn't know.

Personally, I don't trust the auto-dump feature and just setup my awning to be low on the side furthest from our single door.

Kudos to you dwall, for being a good neighbor!
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s why the tech that does the PDI does the walk where I work now. Previous employer used the parts people.