Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
Carrottop

Sad Day

Well as fall is here and winter is peaking its head around the corner I took my trailer to the storage facility. Not only is this the saddest day of the year for us (Oh to be full timers), our storage facility notified us that next year our indoor non heated spot will go up from $600 to $795 as they are claiming their insurance rates have gone through the roof. I guess it is time to start planning my upgrades and plans for next summer.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Canonman

We join you in your sorrow. Just finished winterizing the Cougar for the season. Now it's time to start making plans for next season.
What about a thread on bucket list places to visit??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8002.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	18924  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
xrated

We also did our last trip of the season this past weekend and I'll winterize next weekend. I'm hoping the weather at least gives us a few decent days for some motorcycles rides locally....which it probably will in E. TN.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm so sorry to hear that everyone has to put the trailer away. Just finished waxing/buffing/303ing, clean and treat the seals, pack the bearings etc. so we can start winter in FL...….
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that everyone has to put the trailer away. Just finished waxing/buffing/303ing, clean and treat the seals, pack the bearings etc. so we can start winter in FL...….
What's the "hiding under the chair" emoji Danny nobody envies you spending the winter in SUNNY Florida.
Have a great winter!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
bob91yj

Desert season is just getting going here in SoCal!
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
JimQ

I hear you John! Just got home from our last weekend trip to Mystic,Ct. The weather is turning and sadly, it's time to winterize.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
flookk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
Well as fall is here and winter is peaking its head around the corner I took my trailer to the storage facility. Not only is this the saddest day of the year for us (Oh to be full timers), our storage facility notified us that next year our indoor non heated spot will go up from $600 to $795 as they are claiming their insurance rates have gone through the roof. I guess it is time to start planning my upgrades and plans for next summer.
Yeah..... Took the Sprinter Savannah 274 RLS in for winterizing, slide and furnace maintenance and mouse proofing. Calling for flurries this week in The Great White North (Toronto). Boo.....boo!

51 nights this season.
Ram 1500 4x4 with propane conversion.
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Tbos

Finished a week in Myrtle Beach last weekend. Have one more trip planned for Veterans Day and then I will winterize and take the Alpine in for some warranty work and backup camera install.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #10
John&Genny

We know what you mean about being sad on putting the RV to bed for the winter. We just got our 5’er back from a few repairs and winterizing, gave it exterior a good cleaning and wax, and will be putting it in storage soon. We will both miss going camping and can’t wait until next April!
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 AM   #11
Fredcook

We have two more trips planned here one in TN and another local before we do our shut down for the season. We are going to be closing the pool this weekend which is very sad. Looking forward to next spring already though.

Fred & Trisha
Evansville,IN
2018 SM3030BH
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Air lift 1000
Fredcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:05 AM   #12
DocP

Sad though it may be to close up for the winter, it's now time to take care of a long list of things that need done around the house that I neglected during the camping season!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:21 AM   #13
Carrottop

The DW and I are thinking that maybe it is time to rent a seasonal site next year and forgo the pulling back and forth every weekend. We really only go to three areas every weekend and she is thinking she will pick one and just leave it. The seasonal site is more expensive than booking every weekend, however the gas we would save not having to pull every weekend or even take the truck most of the time would offset it I believe. Thoughts everyone? Maybe pro's and con's from those that have done it.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
Old 10-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #14
John&Genny

Quote:
The DW and I are thinking that maybe it is time to rent a seasonal site next year and forgo the pulling back and forth every weekend. We really only go to three areas every weekend and she is thinking she will pick one and just leave it. The seasonal site is more expensive than booking every weekend, however the gas we would save not having to pull every weekend or even take the truck most of the time would offset it I believe. Thoughts everyone? Maybe pro's and con's from those that have done it.
The DW and I have a seasonal site at a RV park north of Spokane. It’s a really nice site with 50A service, sewer, etc. Since the wife is not retired yet, it makes it much easier for her because I usually head out Thursday or Friday to get the site ready and hauling whatever I can out there. She just stops by the store on the way out to pick up whatever food we need. A lot of the food like condiments, etc. just stays out in the fridge because it’s hooked up to shore power all the time.

So the pro’s are saving fuel by not needing to bring the truck out, easy setup for me because most everything is already set up, not nearly as much work for the DW as I can go out early on my own. A favorite site that’s ours. If we do go off somewhere else, when we come back, our site will still be there. And you get to know some of the other seasonal residents. We got to know a nice couple from BC who had a seasonal site next to us.

The con’s. I’m more of a roamer and like to see more of the countryside. So having a seaonal site makes it so all you get to see is the same old scenery. We do go off for 3 or 4 weeks when the wife has vacation time, but usually that’s all the time we travel during the summer. However, I’m sure that travel time will increase a bit more when the DW can retire in a couple years. And seaonsal sites are not cheap. We pay almost $550/month for our seasonal site, and the park manager just told us rates were going up next year to probably $650/month. The RV’ing popularity is pushing prices up and the nicer seasonal sites are in high demand.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #15
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Wow, that is a lot of jing for storage.

I am going out today to prep ours for the BIL & his DW to stay in while they are visiting.

I am so glad I had the space to have a permanent spot put in for it, with 30A service and water. The rate you are paying for storage would have paid for what I put in, in about 7 months.

I am hoping, now that tax season is over, the DW and I will get a couple more trips in this year.

-Brian
Old 10-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #16
Carrottop

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Wow, that is a lot of jing for storage.

I am going out today to prep ours for the BIL & his DW to stay in while they are visiting.

I am so glad I had the space to have a permanent spot put in for it, with 30A service and water. The rate you are paying for storage would have paid for what I put in, in about 7 months.

I am hoping, now that tax season is over, the DW and I will get a couple more trips in this year.

-Brian
That is a nice setup. Unfortunately our municipality only allows you to have your camper on your front property until October 31st. The rate we pay is from Oct 01 to May 31st. I always felt it was a little high at $75 per month but there are very few indoor storage facilities around my area and the winters are brutal. I guess it is supply and demand and I prefer to keep it indoors through the winter.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
Old 10-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
That is a nice setup. Unfortunately our municipality only allows you to have your camper on your front property until October 31st. The rate we pay is from Oct 01 to May 31st. I always felt it was a little high at $75 per month but there are very few indoor storage facilities around my area and the winters are brutal. I guess it is supply and demand and I prefer to keep it indoors through the winter.
John, I don't know if that's high or not. We pay $130 mo. and just pay a year at a time for ours. I'm not sure what "indoor" is but ours is a fully enclosed 18x55? bay, insulated with lights and power along with huge electric door, security fence/gate/lights/cameras etc. We love it and think it is a great bargain to keep the trailer out of the sun and give us a place to work on it out of the elements.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #18
Carrottop

Quote:
John, I don't know if that's high or not. We pay $130 mo. and just pay a year at a time for ours. I'm not sure what "indoor" is but ours is a fully enclosed 18x55? bay, insulated with lights and power along with huge electric door, security fence/gate/lights/cameras etc. We love it and think it is a great bargain to keep the trailer out of the sun and give us a place to work on it out of the elements.
I would have no issue paying $130 mo. for what you describe. Ours is a very large steel barn with a gravel floor and probably 100-150 units in there. Once your unit is in it would be next to impossible to access it until the spring when they start to pull them out. I am not complaining because like you I don't want my unit sitting in the sun with 3 feet of snow on it. I don't think anything like what you describe is even available in my area.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
Old 10-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #19
JGriff

Quote:

Here on Vancouver Island I am paying $70 a month for a spot in a gravel parking lot with a fence around it. Can't get inside storage here for a RV.

I am also sad as I winterized the TT and put it to bed this weekend. Now it's off to Thailand for the winter but I would rather be camping.
JGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #20
B-O-B'03

Quote:
The storage is actually in what counts as our back yard and the picture was taken during our "brutal" Texas winter

I think people around here are paying more than what you are paying, depending on length, around here for outside storage.

-Brian