Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
MarkEHansen

Local WiFi network for Roku and Plex server?

We have a 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 26RBSWE travel trailer, which includes a flat-screen TV. We would like to watch movies and understand that getting Wi-Fi at the camp site good enough to use Netflix is not likely.

We could go with Satellite, but I would rather just set up my computer with Plex Server and a Roku box (the Roku would attach to the TV and "serve" movies from the Plex server). I can provide more details about those if anyone wants.

My question, however, is how to connect the two Wi-Fi components. I don't think I can just connect them to the site's Wi-Fi (which isn't always available and/or reliable anyway) and so I would like to set up my own.

Is there a Wi-Fi hot spot or router device which I can set up in my trailer that can provide a local Wi-Fi network to which my devices can connect - without having to have a connection to an external Wi-Fi/Internet?

Is anyone else doing this?
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
fatcatzzz

We use a cellular hotspot (Nighthawk) from ATT. The nighthawk is a router and I regularly connect computers, fire stick, even connect our Dish receiver to get Netflix. We have traveled all over the US and have had only two places we could not get service, Rock Springs Wy. and Hawthore Nv. You do need an unlimited account.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
MarkEHansen

Thanks, we don't want to use our phone. We get throttled after only about 2gb and then it's too slow for streaming video content.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
scottv92

If I understand your question you are wanting to connect the roku and computer without an outside internet connection. If that is correct you may be able to connect the 2 devices with a direct wi-fi connection, if they allow it. I am not sure if the roku would allow that. If they don't you can purchase a wi-fi router that would provide the local wi-fi network, then connect roku and computer to it. I am not familiar with the newer equipment but have used Linksys wireless routers for this before. Most routers would work, just have to ignore the no internet warnings. Now the question I don't know for sure is if the roku would access the Plex server you are referring to or if it defaults to internet services. This could be answered by trying to access the Plex Server on your computer through the wireless network at your home.
scottv92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
MarkEHansen

Thanks, scottv92, this is what I'm going to try to do. I've ordered a Linksys WRT54GL and will configure it to provide local Wi-Fi and just ignore that I don't have an Internet connection.

I think the Roku Plex app should be okay with this, as the Roku I have running at home is connecting to my local Plex media server inside my local network - but I think I may have missed your point on that.

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
scottv92

You are very welcome, and now you have got me curious about the Plex server. I will have to do some research on that.
scottv92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

I can't claim to be a tech savvy person but you really will need a source for the internet. The Wi-Fi at your camp ground would be a source but you stated it isn't good enough to stream movies, etc. You phone can act as a hotspot but you only pay for 2 gigs of data so that won't work. You mentioned satellite internet, that might be a choice if you are full timing and they would be willing to put up a dish and rent you a gateway (modem/router). Their 50 gig plan would allow quite a bit of streaming via a Roku. I used this method for about a year and it works. Haven't used Viasat but they guarantee higher speeds and unlimited data for less money than Hughesnet. if you camp ground is rural, you might check out AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet; they put up a dish and you rent a modem/router. It has better speeds and is reliable and cheaper than satellite. I think an internet source is where you need to be.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
MarkEHansen

I'm pretty sure I don't need the Internet to serve movies via a local Plex media server, unless I'm missing something. I would like to be able to stream from the Internet, but that's not the point of this question. I have locally-running Roku and Plex system and I need them to be able to talk to each other. For that, I just need a local network.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
dhn

Local WiFi network for Roku and Plex server?

Have you checked into a Raspberry Pi with Kodi installed for a movie server? We have been using one for a couple of years. We can also put DVR’d shows we have recorded from Plex on it too. You can also “sync” content from your Plex server and a computer, phone, or tablet and watch without internet connection.

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
MarkEHansen

I have Plex Media Server running on a Raspberry Pi now. This is what I want to access from my Roku (the roku will connect to the TV and provide us with the Plex app, remote control, etc.).

At home, these talk via the local area network (LAN), but in the trailer, I have no LAN - this is what I'm trying to come up with.

Are you connecting the Pi directly to the TV? What do you use to control the Pi? Are you able to use a remote control? This sounds interesting.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
dhn

Yes, I have it directly connected to the tv, and use a small keyboard to control it. Take the card out and remove old content and add new. They say some remotes will work, but I have not tried them.

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
Old 11-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #12
dhn

I looked into ways to watch movies while camping and found this was the best setup for us. No computer or router to setup. I use a power cable that has an on / off switch and turn it off when we are not using it.

Here is the keyboard I use.

Rii 2.4GHz BACKLIT Wireless Mini... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z81U3YY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
Old 11-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #13
rsl

I would like to not have to carry all my kids DVDs with us in the camper but would like to have access to them, was thinking maybe loading them onto a big hard drive or something like that. could one of the above solutions work or is there a simpler way?
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I have officially passed into baby boomer land and no longer understand the world that surrounds me.Click image for larger version

Name:	53bb8b2864e3a3e506a42c97da2511132def5591cc91c83f99f1770804854cb3.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	19232

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:27 AM   #15
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
I would like to not have to carry all my kids DVDs with us in the camper but would like to have access to them, was thinking maybe loading them onto a big hard drive or something like that. could one of the above solutions work or is there a simpler way?

Well, that's what I'm working toward. I started with a tablet so I could watch movies while on airplane flights (which for me were tedious without something to pass the time). I purchased a Galaxy tablet, installed a 64gb data card and then scraped a bunch of my DVDs/BDs to create MKV files and just loaded them on the tablet. It works really well.

Now, I want to watch these movies on the 52" TV in my new trailer, so I'm looking for a better way. Once I have this worked out, I'll report back here and let everyone know what I did and how it came out.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #16
dhn

Here is a good tutorial on setting up a Raspberry Pi. I use the HDHomeRun to DVR OTA shows on my Plex. You will need software to “Rip” the DVD’s (Legal if you own the DVD, illegal if you don’t) to add to the Pi.

https://mediaexperience.com/raspberr...-with-raspbmc/

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
Old 11-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #17
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I have officially passed into baby boomer land and no longer understand the world that surrounds me.Attachment 19232
I like raspberry pie.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I like raspberry pie.
Blueberry gets my vote.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn View Post
Here is a good tutorial on setting up a Raspberry Pi. I use the HDHomeRun to DVR OTA shows on my Plex. You will need software to “Rip” the DVD’s (Legal if you own the DVD, illegal if you don’t) to add to the Pi.

https://mediaexperience.com/raspberr...-with-raspbmc/
Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I like raspberry pie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I have officially passed into baby boomer land and no longer understand the world that surrounds me.Attachment 19232
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Blueberry gets my vote.

What ever happened to "camping to commune with Mother Nature" ??? If I wanted all the conveniences of home, I'd just stay home where there's 2 bathrooms, a dishwasher, central heat/air (that works and isn't noisy) and room to "turn a corner without bumping into someone"..... I also must have "missed the millennial transition to all conveniences all the time"......

WalMart has a pretty good "triple berry pie" in the frozen food section. It goes great with homestyle vanilla ice cream..... Blueberry stains dentures (don't have them yet), blackberry flares diverticulitis (escaped that so far, too), raspberries are hard to find around here and WalMart's selection makes it easy to have "fresh baked pie right from the oven" (even if it is, straight out of a box).....

Old Fart ?? Me ?? Yup, it looks like I've officially entered that phase of my life.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #20
cookinwitdiesel

My plan is to take my spare Nvidia Shield that I use when traveling and use that as a local Plex Server connected directly to my TV. I will connect a 10 TB external HDD with my Blu-Ray MKV rip collection (about 300 movies I own).

I still need to test the setup, my main worry, is the use of an "offline but local" Plex Server as I am not sure how it will behave when there is no internet connection even for playing back local content (direct USB attached).

This setup calls for no network at all - although I plan to use the Alfa R36 travel router that will give me a local WiFi LAN for use in my trailer (and is able to use the park WiFi as its WAN connection when available).
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi