Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #61
kjohn

Pending final finance arrangements, our dealer informed me that Keystone has accepted the reports from them and the insurance company, and is basically eating the damaged trailer. We will be getting a new trailer, same as the old one, with some money changing hands for the two seasons of use.

No lectures please. I thought it only fair to post our progress.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #62
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
Pending final finance arrangements, our dealer informed me that Keystone has accepted the reports from them and the insurance company, and is basically eating the damaged trailer. We will be getting a new trailer, same as the old one, with some money changing hands for the two seasons of use.

I don’t think there is any reason to lecture, that is a great outcome! Hope they follow through to your satisfaction. Unfortunately you will know down to the penny what two seasons of use cost you, but depreciation is a fact of life and hits just about everywhere.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #63
meaz93*

Niiiiiccccceee,....congrats.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_165245.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	19456
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #64
mikec557

Kjohn

I think that's a very fair outcome. Keep us informed.

Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #65
kjohn

Here's the last paragraph of the report from the insurance company sent to me:

Based on the information gathered at this time, the floor failure is due to water infiltration which entered from the underside at the wheel house area. This moisture had migrated through out the bottom of the floor compromising it structural integrity. The developing mechanical failure of the Darco occurred over numerous drive cycles, not from a single one-time occurrence. We consider this to be a workmanship matter due to the design and construction of the RV.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #66
vampress_me

Wow! I’m impressed that Keystone is actually taking the trailer back out of warranty. Definitely no lectures, I think you have gotten done a very, very rare thing in getting a dealer to own up to a manufacturing defect. I am very glad you will get another trailer to continue camping in.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #67
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post

I am sure there will be no lectures. I've followed this thread and I am very happy that this is going to be resolved. I was particularly interested because the first time we encountered rain in this trailer (it was new) I found the entire front edge of coroplast folded back collecting water like a scoop....and it kept draining water for the entire I gassed up. They fixed it and checked it out but always worried about something popping up like you experienced. It has been 4 years since and we've not had any issues but for the grace of God I could be in your shoes.

Hope the financial part works out in an acceptable way. Hopefully you will be back camping soon, in a trailer with a good floor!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #68
Logan X

I’m glad you have a favorable outcome.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #69
kjohn

Update on the trailer deal. We went down to the dealer today to sign up for the new trailer and get my nice big, new batteries out of the old trailer to bring them home and keep them charged.

We had a look at the new one. It is a Cougar Half-Ton, similar to our X-Lite, but some differences and improvements. Better shower giving a bit more room, much better step setup, nice fold up cover for the stove, 30 lb. propane tanks, shortened up the end of the counter to the left of the sink which allows more room between counter and bed, different interior and exterior colours, much different controls .

I also learned that Keystone only gave the dealer some money and dumped the trailer on them. Not my problem, but I wasn't surprised. The service manager said they will have to try to fix the trailer and likely send it to auction.

All in all, we are glad to be shuck of that trailer. The dealer is going to install a liner over the wheels on the new one, and if it works out decently, they will be looking at other trailers as well. I will not be getting my shirt in a knot to pick it up until maybe March, on a nice day.

Bottom line: we updated to a 2019 for the money it would have cost even if our trade was in good shape. We just weren't intending to have to do that.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #70
DCARLTON

Congrats! Sounds like the dealer and Keystone did the right thing! Hope things continue to work out for you!
Georgia
DCARLTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

It's great to see things come together with a result that works for the RV owner... I suppose it's an excellent result as long as you think you got fair and appropriate treatment and are satisfied with the results....

Now, time to start making plans for next spring !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:46 AM   #72
JimQ

Kjohn: Congrats on a favorable outcome. It must be a huge relief to put this unfortunate situation behind you and start enjoying camping once again. I think all of us relatively new to RVing (for me, 6 years) had no idea how the industry worked regarding warranty claims. We do now! Best of luck with the new replacement!

Jim
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #73
kjohn

Thank you! I have all winter to dream about camping. If I can get my back operational I might do a bit of tent winter camping. I have a nice canvas tent and a small wood heater and a place just a few miles from home to set. Did one night back about 4-5 years ago when my wife lived and worked in northern Saskatchewan.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #74
German Shepherd Guy

kjohn, sorry you had to "trade in" your new TT for another new TT but seems like it was the best solution that was to come out of all this. I read every post and as a new Premier owner has convinced me that I will spend some time this winter while the thing is parked in my pole barn crawling around on my back and really inspecting the underside. With caulking gun in hand will work on anything that seems suspicious before I take it out this coming spring. From your talk it just didn't seem like you had taken that many trips over wet roads to cause that much damage. Amazing really. Really glad you shared.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #75
kjohn

GSG: Good plan. I initially posted about the difficulty with our trailer to alert others. Thread went south, so I quit posting. I posted the result of the whole matter, but still the intention is to make people aware of a potential problem.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #76
JoePoke

John:

Our 2015 Cougar 26rbi began showing sprininginess in the floor down the front half of center living area. I read a lot of the ealier forums and it appeared to me that this was common and not somehing that could be readiliy addresed. I just covered a masonite 30" by 6' with a glued on carpet and it povides some sopport. I do not have any idea how one would coreect this problem. If as you say the floor sandwich cannot be penetrated by water then how is it that the foam core softens?

We are hoping to seel our unit this year but I think ther floor may be tough sell to a potential buyer.

You seem to have a lot of experience what are your thoughts on this?
JoePoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #77
kjohn

JoePoke: I'm not sure what to tell you. When a friend and I went to the dealer to get the new trailer, we noticed that the underside of the old one appeared to have been changed. Not use, but the floor seemed to be somewhat more solid. I don't know what they did to it.

Tags
cougar, floor