Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #1
fourfourto

why all threads closed about guns

I don't get it
keystone and forum is in America

cant we say what we want pro / con

what about the anti America posts ?

alarms and guns are not to far off topic
even the gun posts get closed ?

other trailer forums don't close threads for this type of talk ?

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
Old 05-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
cardinal96ss

Great question, brother.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
nellie1289

agree, freedom of speech and second amendment #2. if someone from the great white north doesn't like it they can pick another thread or go to a different site.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
Old 05-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
notanlines

Which of the threads were closed concerning guns? I have read posts previously about guns and crossing into Canada, carrying or not carrying when travelling, etc. Maybe I missed something.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 05-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
nellie1289

this thread

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28669
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I'm with notanlines. I don't recall offhand any threads being closed specifically for talking about/mentioning guns. I do understand the forum not wanting to be used for threads about pro/anti gun sentiments. Used to be that was a safe topic but anymore, who knows the way this world is turning. Anyway, it IS an RV forum.

I like my guns as much as the next guy......well, a lot more than most next guys. But, 2nd amendment debates get me going and I will get in a state that I really don't want to be in when thinking of RVing. JMO
Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
fourfourto

this one also closed http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=guns

My sister lived in Arizona we went Family camping in the desert and everyone was shooting guns it was a family activity(in the right spot)

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
Old 05-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

First, let me say. I am a moderator on this forum, also a life time member of the NRA and concealed carry permit holder.

It is true that a few threads concerning firearms have been closed. Perhaps some of the posts that got way off topic were deleted and that is the reason you see nothing wrong with the topic.

As long as the comments stayed on the topic of RVs (what this forum is all about) they were not closed. It has been a long standing practice here to keep political and religious opinions out of this forum so we all can get along. With over 20,000 members, it seems to be working so far.

I hope I have explained this policy and you understand the reason for it.

Safe travels, Hank
Old 05-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
agree, freedom of speech and second amendment #2. if someone from the great white north doesn't like it they can pick another thread or go to a different site.
I agree, these people need to get a grip. This the USA, not Canada nor Europe. I personally sick and tired of the bs. We have the right to bare arms and this is a topic that is relative to having a weapon in a rv. These threads should be UNLOCKED!.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Whoops, posted my previous comment before seeing the thread that was closed.

Looks like that thread was closed due to a comment from a person from the "north" that made some disparaging comments about gun owners in the U.S. which then generated some unhappy comments; and rightfully so.

I think, IMO, that is the reason discussions of pro gun or anti gun sentiments have to be for another place. I do however think that if the conversation of guns comes up and comments are made about them, their use, or in the example of the closed thread, about the safety of using one in a confined RV, those should be acceptable. No one is breaking the law or advocating being unsafe. We are discussing viable, real life facets of RVing and should be able to do so. If someone has heartburn from that well......

Now, back to my alarm system.....
Old 05-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
Sarvi

The mods are well within their rights to close/remove any thread they want... if someone doesn't like it, they can pick another thread or go to a different site.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #12
cardinal96ss

If you travel with firearms to other states as we do, I highly recommend this book.
2017 Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States- about 10 bucks from Amazon. About one page per state devoted to interesting and sometimes a bit quirky information. There are certainly some states we will never travel to.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
If you travel with firearms to other states as we do, I highly recommend this book.
2017 Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States- about 10 bucks from Amazon. About one page per state devoted to interesting and sometimes a bit quirky information. There are certainly some states we will never travel to.
This is a perfect example of RV/firearms related posts and never would be closed or deleted.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #14
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvi View Post
The mods are well within their rights to close/remove any thread they want... if someone doesn't like it, they can pick another thread or go to a different site.
Maybe it is you that should be picking a different thread to read.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #15
Sarvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
Maybe it is you that should be picking a different thread to read.
Nah, I don't care about guns either way.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #16
Javi

We're guests here... act like it...
Old 05-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #17
xrated

A little history about me. 62 years old, NRA Lifetime member, Handgun Carry Permit holder (HCP in TN) I have been around guns my whole life, both as a casual shooter and a Deer/Turkey/ upland game Hunter, and a moderator on two different motorcycle forums. Both forums that I moderate do not allow political or religious threads per se'. Basically, I have the right to lock threads, delete threads or individual posts, or allow threads to continue. I have allowed gun threads to continue in several instances, because guns for personnel protection and motorcycle go hand in hand just like guns and RV owners and guns go hand in hand. As long as the thread stays on topic, and doesn't turn political....pro gun/anti gun, it stays open.

The 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms is almost always a very emotional topic, for both sides and can go from civilized to almost barbaric in just a few posts. And if I'm not mistaken, this forum seems to operate very similar to the way those two operate where I'm the main moderator.....if it stays on topic, it stays open.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #18
Jeepshots

I've thought about how i'd respond to a few of these "gun" threads. Then i realized that there's really cultural differences in how guns and weapons in general are perceived, inside and outside the US. In the US, we are allowed by law to own and keep guns. This is at both a Federal and State level. Some states put restrictions on gun ownership - some are severe about them. Other states say that if you're allowed to buy it, you're allowed to carry it, period. To answer some of the questions floating around, we own and keep guns because the law allows us to. Protecting my family and keeping my loved ones safe is my priority. Since the law allows me to posess a firearm, I will do so - to level the playing field, so to speak. See, the criminals that prey on the good citizens don't follow the law - that's the very definition of a criminal. I will not give any advantage to a criminal if I don't have to, when it comes to protecting my family.

I know some see weapons as evil. Killing machines. Only used for death. And I would speculate that a lot of that view point comes from the cultural differences between the US and other countries (and indeed, those inside the US with the pro vs con attitudes). All i can tell you is that a weapon is just a tool - no different than a hammer, or a spoon, or pencil or a guitar. It's use and the consequences thereof, are a direct result of the person wielding the tool. You don't blame the hammer for the dent in the wood beside the nail - you blame the person holding the hammer for missing the nail. You don't blame the spoon for making someone fat, it's the person's fault for continuing to shovel in the ice cream. You don't blame the pencil for making spelling mistakes, it's the person writing with the pencil. In the hands of a classically trained guitarist, the guitar will make beautiful sounds. In the hands of a 3 year old, it will sound like a buzzsaw attacking cats. Likewise, a weapon in the hands of a good person will use it to dissuade or otherwise stop a criminal's actions (these types of incidents do not garner much media attention, but they happen more often than the media-hyped gun-incidents most read about).

I think the easiest way to relate all of this to the human population is a reference to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's essay on Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs. 98% of the population are sheep. That's not derogatory - sheep are gentle loving creatures. This label is applied to the vast majority of people because they are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident or under extreme provocation. There are also wolves in our society. Wolves feed on the flocks of sheep without mercy. Wolves have the capacity for violence, and no empathy for their fellow citizens. Sheepdogs stand between the flock of sheep and the wolves. Sheepdogs have the capacity for violence, and a love for their fellow citizens. They want to do everything they can to protect them from the wolves.
For the most part, the sheep live in denial. They don't believe that violence can happen to them. They know it's out there - every sheep knows what the wolf looks like, and the terrible devastation even a single wolf can generate. But it always happens to someone else. The sheep also know what the sheepdogs look like, and they don't really like them either. Sheepdogs remind the sheep too much of a wolf - he has fangs, and a capacity for violence. They don't like his presence - it serves as a reminder that there are wolves out there. That is, until a wolf actually shows up. Then you have the entire flock hiding behind one sheepdog who will lay down his life protecting the sheep.
Like most things, there is a range of sheepdog. At the top are the professional soldiers, police and other LEOs, first responders and the like, all the way down to the individual parent who protects their kids.

I am a sheepdog. I will protect those in my charge with everything i have. I approach gun ownership as another tool in my toolbox.

That's my two cents. You can take it and two more dollars and go buy a cup of coffee...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Old 05-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^ Well said!!
Old 05-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
notanlines

Jeepshots, thanks for taking the time to write your little essay. I personally give you an "A." It is easy to read someone's post and tell when they are just rambling. I didn't detect a ramble in your words.
Now for a little humor.....Keystone is the wolf, buyers are the sheep, Keystone Forums is the "sheepdog."
Remember, wolves have to eat also.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Closed Thread