Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Bob Vaughn

Talking Copper Canyon 5th wheel

We are looking seriously at a 314....my wife actually likes it..
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Flyguy

Welcome to the forum Bob.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
tampacamper

Welcome Bob!!! Looks like we are neighbors
tampacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
Bob Vaughn

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampacamper View Post
Welcome Bob!!! Looks like we are neighbors
If we buy this Copper Canyon 314fwrls it will be our 1st Keystone product...We have had Holiday Rambler products since 1974 and have always been happy with their quality....I am apprehensive about switching brands but LD's has this and the wife likes it.....I hope I am not making a mistake.....
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Flyguy

Bob, the best thing that you can do is to do a through PDI (pre delivery Inspection) and have the dealer fix anything that is found wrong BEFORE you hand over the check!! A good PDI form that you can download and print out and take with you to the dealer can be found here: http://www.eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-...0Checklist.pdf while this won't guarantee that you won't have any future problems, it will go a long way down the right road to happy camping. Get the tech to go through this list with you.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
tampacamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
If we buy this Copper Canyon 314fwrls it will be our 1st Keystone product...We have had Holiday Rambler products since 1974 and have always been happy with their quality....I am apprehensive about switching brands but LD's has this and the wife likes it.....I hope I am not making a mistake.....
Just make LD put everything in writing if they dont get it all fixed on you del. stay. They have done right by me!!!
tampacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
tlittle2

Copper Canyron FWRLS314

Just bought one three weeks ago.

And after three weeks I'm still a happy full-timer in North Georgia.

Ask me any questions you have and I'll do my best to post a lucid reply.

Tom
tlittle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Bob Vaughn

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlittle2 View Post
Just bought one three weeks ago.

And after three weeks I'm still a happy full-timer in North Georgia.

Ask me any questions you have and I'll do my best to post a lucid reply.

Tom
OMG We have a long time friend that lives in Blairsville......By now you should know how warm you can stay.......My major concern is the tires that come on this unit...One question comes to mind on the shirt closets to the right and left of the main closet in the bedroom why is there a blank empty space at the bottom of the closets what is under that floor in the closet?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
tlittle2

Under the closet

I'm in Starbucks WiFi'ing as I type this so replys won't come instantly, but I'm pretty sure the closed in area at both the left and right sides of the front closet is part of the enclosures for the two 30# propane tanks - one on each side at the front.

A note on those spaces - they are not hanging spaces. There is a fixed shelf in the middle of both closets. Another note - the front closet, behind the sliding mirrored doors, is quite narrow, front to back. My old 5'er, a Cardinal, had a flat, non-aerodynamic front cap and the closet was deep enough front to back and also full width. The 314 has a pretty sleek front cap, and you pay for that in a shallow closet. And there is a narrow shelf up top in there, but it is limited in usefulness by the slope of the front cap. I'm going to raise the clothes bar to a higher position but shirts do not fit parallel to the camper centerline - they must be turned somewhat sideways. I'm a full-timer so it's an issue, but far from a showstopper.

As far as warmth, I'm pleased. Compared to my 12 year old Cardinal, this furnace hardly runs. It runs, satisfies the Tstat then is off for 10 minutes or so in 20 degree outside temps.

My unit also has an electric fireplace in the entertainment slide, and I don't think that's normal. It wasn't listed on the build/price sheet, despite my unit having apparently all available factory upgrades. But It looks great and keeps the LR pretty warm most of the time.

It dropped into the mid-teens last week and I did lose hot water, so something froze somewhere. I had cold water just fine and the john flushed (I use a wrapped/heated FW hose) but it took a little while to get thawed. I later removed the panel separating the basement storage from where the plumbing is located and placed a small electric heater in there, and I'll let you know how that works if/when we get another serious cold spell. But if you're not going to full time in the cold (i.e. you aren't nuts) it should never be a problem.

Hope this helps - and ask away with anything else on your mind.

Tom
Old 12-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Bob Vaughn

Blank space

At first I thought that but when I went outside and looked that is the part that is in the front corners over the bed of the truck....I think I will take that floor up and look under it if I get this unit.........I am always modding my rv's to make them better for us.....was the bedroom floor cold? I looked in the basement and there is no insulation under the floor of the bedroom......
Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
tlittle2

Blank Space

You're right - like I said, I was in Starbucks. It's possible that the space is blocked due to the shape of the front corners. Who knows why RV designers do what they do? Maybe it's a crumple zone for tight turns....

I haven't noticed the bedroom floor being "cold." It would be easy to insulate the floor, as it's pretty much all accessible from the under storage area. Fuzzy slippers help, too. I don't believe there is any heat outlet in that storage area, but I haven't proven this to myself yet. The heat duct in there is easily accessible, too.

I didn't pay any attention to the tires other than to be pleased that they are round and "E" rated with 8 bolt 16" wheels. I don't travel a great deal, so perhaps they become a concern later. You can always negotiate a tire upgrade when you buy, but you know that.

If you email me offline I'll tell you some other interesting things.

Tom
Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Bob Vaughn

I emailed you.....I am starting to get excited about this unit now....The TT I have now and had for 9 years I did not go to buy just look....They made me and offer and I countered with a low ball offer that I knew they would not accept and they took it....I don't think I will make out that well this time......
Old 12-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
antiqfreq

Welcome to our forum Bob.

Looking forward to hearing from you again after you get your new Keystone home!

Also, I have a good friend in Blairsville, GA - we got there every other year and stay at Vogel State Park. Beautiful area!

Jo/
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote