Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #1
River Duck

New owner ? about batteries

I’m sure this has been discussed many times but I’m a newbie so bear with me.

I have 30 amp shore power where our fifth wheel is stored for the winter. I’m wanting to plug in 3 of the rodent repellers for added protection.

If I leave it plugged into shore power will I overcharge the battery? Will throwing the battery disconnect switch prevent that? Or should I leave the negative post unhooked on the battery?

Just looking for the best option as I’m new to owning a RV. Thanks for any replies
River Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Harleydodge

If you leave your unit connected to shore power, your battery charge will be "maintained" as needed by the onboard charge controller. This will not overcharge your batteries.

If you ever store your rig for an extended period WITHOUT plugging in to shore power, it would be advisable to remove the battery (s) from the rig and keep them connected to a baterry tender of some sort.
Do not simply rely on the "battery disconect" switch, as it does not always fully disconnect all 12v power draws.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

If you leave it plugged in don't walk away and come back months later. You should check water levels in the battery cells periodically and add only distilled water if the level drops.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #4
travelin texans

If plugged in leave the disconnect "on" or it won't charge the batteries.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
ChuckS

Most fifth wheels that are newer models since about 2011 or maybe earlier have a WFCO converter that supplies DC for the entire RV DC needs..Additionally the converter has 3 modes of charging to keep and maintain your batteries...

Here is a link with short description on how converters work.. I’ve left my 2014 plugged in since bought new year round when not using t9 shore power..

The standard 3 stage WFCO converter has kept my two batteries in great shape..fully charged... I do inspect electrolyte levels in the batteries once a month.

You’ll get some other opinions..l this is mine with 5 years of run time on stock WFCO converter.

Amperage of this converter is 55. Yours may be less or more but operation principle is same on all

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-9855-55-amp/

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
Logan X

As already stated, leave the trailer plugged in and check the water level on the batteries about once a month. Use only distilled water to fill the batteries.

Welcome to the new and happy camping!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:56 AM   #7
River Duck

You all confirmed what I had already thought. Nice to hear it from guys with experience.

Probably not the last newbie question I’ll have, glad to have this site to come to. Thanks again for the replies!
River Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #8
Frank G

Approaching 2 years of ownership, always left the unit plugged in except when towing. Last week I checked the battery for the second time, added about 1/4" of distilled water. This was about the same amount as the first time I checked it. This summer we will leave it for 6 months plugged in and think nothing of it.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Approaching 2 years of ownership, always left the unit plugged in except when towing. Last week I checked the battery for the second time, added about 1/4" of distilled water. This was about the same amount as the first time I checked it. This summer we will leave it for 6 months plugged in and think nothing of it.
Frank,

As batteries age, the lead plates "sulfate" and that coating gets thicker and thicker with time. When a charger is applied, the sulfate "isolates" the plate and causes the charge current to "work harder/longer" to force electrons onto the plates. That "resistance to charging" causes heat, heat causes water evaporation and "dry cells". While some batteries never need water, some, based on how much sulfation occurs, with age, will begin to "lose water". It happens slowly at first, maybe none the first year or two, then a little for a couple years, then you find a dry cell (one that needs 1/4" of water) in 2 months, then next time you check them two or three dry cells. Then it starts drying up even more frequently. Your past experience is typical with new batteries, and your comment about a couple cells needing a little water this last check is typical of sulfation buildup on the plates as nearly all batteries age.

Now that your batteries are "older and slower to charge" because of sulfation, is the time to be even more vigilant with checking them. YMMV

So,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote