Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
mskeyspirate

Cool Worth the headache ???

Well first let me say that this is not really meant to be a rant. But lately I've been wondering if this camper thing is really worth it. Just quickly, we bought a brand new TT in 15. Paid good money, did our research, and were generally happy with our purchase. We felt it was the right camper for us. There is no need to bash any particular brands here, because I feel that they are all in the same general category. Let's just say that we did not buy a bottom of the barrel variety.
So...that being said, the first two months we had a serious leak in a window. The dealer had the unit for repair for 6 weeks. Since then, we have had numerous leaks, a hot water heater replaced, a fridge problem, and a leak so bad, that we had to have our entire front cap replaced, at our cost. The last issue may have been my fault, due to possibly missing a small crack when re caulking. But through our travels, and friends and neighbors I now have come to the realization that our problems are not unique, or isolated to us, or our brand of camper. I could go on and on about the new $60,000 camper that our friend has that the slide will not work on, the 2nd time out. Or another that has multiple water leaks (in the plumbing) that a dealer says that they can not find. But I was standing in water the last time in their camper. How bout the new Cougar that the electric jack will not work after the first summer ?
Anyway, what keeps people buying these things. I used to think that there are just a few lemons out there. Now I think that there are just a few trouble free campers out there, and even less good, reputable dealers. Let me also say that I take meticulous care of our unit. Stored in doors, seals and seams checked twice yearly, winterized, polished and waxed spring and fall. And so on ! What are peoples thoughts ? Is this camping thing really worth it ? Not looking to sell yet, but maybe just looking for some folks to tell me what keeps them camping, even with all the issues that I know are out there. My philosophy on the whole thing is.....Every camper produced is simply a large, cheap box on wheels. No matter the brand, date of manufacture, color, or if it has shiny mag wheels or not.
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote