Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Double b

What is actually the laws

Well we live in Ontario and tried to switch the plate to high rating on the new truck so I could tow everything legally. Don't thing I have it right.

Took the trailer with full water and mostly packed. Truck had half a tank of fuel and the bed was empty and left 4 of the beefier passengers at home. Here is the cat scale slip; Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	13186

I had the truck plate rating switched yesterday to 6800 kg or 14900 lbs. it need to go up to 21000 by my figures to be safe and no get a ticket.

My question is why the lady at the service Ontario counter talked me out of this.

I know I need to get an inspection of the truck. Cost another $100+ for inspection from truck dealer. Do I need another for trailer? Also do I need a commercial license as well? Lady said I might.

To say the least I'm very confused about getting this stuff sorted out in Ontario. Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
bsmith0404

I can't really see the weight ticket on my phone, but ur truck should only need to be plated for the weight on its wheels not for the combined weight. In the US you only need a commercial license if you are over 26,000 lbs. I believe Canada is the same.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Double b -
Licencing requirements vary from province to province as well as from state to state. In BC, for example, if you are pulling a trailer/5th when in excess of 10000 lbs, you need a special endorsement on your licence. This involves both a written and road test.

I would check with the Ontario Department of Motor Vehicles (or whatever they are called) to find out what the requirements are for your set-up. I wouldn't rely too much on the "legal opinions" you might find here. Instead, go to the proper authorities in Ontario for accurate advice and legal towing requirements.

When you become "legal" in Ontario, then that will allow you to legally drive outside of the province without any restrictions.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:17 AM   #4
Double b

Thanks guys for the advice, I have been trying, but like most government offices, they never answer their phone and are only open when the average person is working and not much later. Have looked up on their web site and it like trying to read a different language.

So I thoug I would post the truck and trailer info so I can ask a few other "basic" questions about towing.

Here they are;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper sticker.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	13193
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck sticker.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	13194

So with the weight slip I am under the max capacity of my trailer and truck I think. I believe I have at least another 800 pounds left on the trailer. The truck I have 1000 lbs in the back and 540 lbs in the front. Can someone confirm I am reading these right and getting the right results I should.

The reason I am asking these questions is I only had one kid in the truck and I still need to load the truck for camping. The trailer still get the added weight of everyone's bikes and the kids clothes. The trailer did have a full tank of water, but black and gray tanks where empty.

Any help would be appreciated. As I do not completely understand how all this works, but I am learning fast.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Actually you have 780 lbs for the trailer. The truck is only 40 lbs left. You go by the GVWR of 9,900 lbs, not the combined weight of the axle ratings.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

What is actually the laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I can't really see the weight ticket on my phone, but ur truck should only need to be plated for the weight on its wheels not for the combined weight. In the US you only need a commercial license if you are over 26,000 lbs. I believe Canada is the same.

CDL need has to do with what you are doing, what you are carrying and what you are driving, not weight.

If you need a CDL, what you are driving, what you are carrying and weight is used to determine WHICH CDL you need.

If you do not need a CDL, your weight may be used to determine which non-CDL class license you may need (different states, different rules).

My point being, you can drive an RV over 26,000 lbs and do not need a CDL. In addition, you can pull a big camper with a pickup, with a GCWR over 26,000 lbs and do not need a CDL.

Don't confuse CDL licenses with non-CDL licenses... even though some states have their non-CDL license classes follow the CDL license classes regarding weights.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
CDL need has to do with what you are doing, what you are carrying and what you are driving, not weight.

If you need a CDL, what you are driving, what you are carrying and weight is used to determine WHICH CDL you need.

If you do not need a CDL, your weight may be used to determine which non-CDL class license you may need (different states, different rules).

My point being, you can drive an RV over 26,000 lbs and do not need a CDL. In addition, you can pull a big camper with a pickup, with a GCWR over 26,000 lbs and do not need a CDL.

Don't confuse CDL licenses with non-CDL licenses... even though some states have their non-CDL license classes follow the CDL license classes regarding weights.

Yes I know, I was just keeping it simple. 26,000 lbs is still the weight point unless someone is driving a bus. His weights are only 18k so he would not require a special license in any state that I'm aware of, and I'm pretty sure Canada is the same based on other people I've talked to. Note I said pretty sure not saying it is definite. My weights can get pretty close or even exceed 26,000, but since I'm not commercial I only need a class E license in NM. That allows me to exceed 26,000 with MY personal RV. If I never exceeded 26,000 I wouldn't need any special license.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Double b -
If you are having trouble accessing the Ontario Department of MV for information, try Google. I typed in "Commercial driving licence in Ontario" and found several sites which will give you some information about the requirements, procedures, etc. for obtaining the proper licence in this province.
Again, for accurate information, I would recommend a visit to the government regulatory office responsible for motor vehicle licencing - including trailers and RV's. Only they can provide you with the proper and correct legal licencing requirements in Ontario. Rules and regulations that apply in various US states and other Canadian provinces may be different from those in Ontario.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Double b

Updated

After finally getting thru to MTO enforcement, they have stated that the following is what I am required to have;

1) Do not need a commercial drivers licence as I am not over 24000 lbs total weight
2) Do need to increase the plate weight limit to 21000 lbs
3) Do need a yearly safety inspection of the truck
4) Do not need a yearly safety inspection of the TT

I wish the lady at Service Ontario knew all this, as it would not have had me worrying all weekend long.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #10
Getn off

Reserecting an old thread instead of making a new one as this is on topic for my situation.
I am new here, so please go easy on me!!!
I have spent countless hours researching the laws and think I get most of it, however! My 5er weighs in about 12,500 loaded... Max is 14k. My new f350 dually weighs in around 9 k loaded while towing. But. It has the 14k gvwr option. On the scales I am about 21k total. No biggie since the truck is under 10k. Yes, I know all the individual state diffs.
I thought the weight to determine if u need a non comm class a was max gross weights?! Or are u ok if u dont weigh over the max like I am? If not, it really looks like I do need a non A. Or do they just read each vehicle's yellow sticker and add them up?
Help!
I live in FL btw, but travel all over.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

If your legal in your home state, your legal in every state, only exception is towing “double”. License requirements are based on GVWR’s not actual weights, and as you stated vary state to state.

Best thing to do is go to your states DMV website and look at what’s allowed for each “class” of license.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
Getn off

Thank you Chuck. I also believe that to be the case, just wasn't sure about the actual vs max gw. Florida requires a cdl for gross over 26k, but has an exemption for RVs for rec purposes.
Looks like I can stop worrying. Wish it was that way with radar detectors and ccw!
Troy
Old 10-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Troy, Unless you are as old as I am and need a magnifying glass to read the fine print next to your Class E license, It says : Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR < 26,001 lbs. or any RV .
So you should be good to go anywhere you want. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #14
Getn off

There’s fine print? Lol!
I hear ya Hank. Just keep reading crap online and got skerd! Gotta stop reading I guess.
Troy