Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
geo

Exclamation Dallas, Texas - Avoid I-635 North for 5 Years!!!

If you live in the Dallas area, you already know this topic only too well.

If you are planning on passing through Dallas on your way to a warmer location, or for what ever reason . . . plan your route to AVOID I-635 North (otherwise known as LBJ Freeway). I-635 North is a common transit to go from US 75 to I-35E.

There is a 5 year construction plan (only recently started) which will widen I-635, sink a tollway/HOV lane at a lower level in the middle of the east/west lanes, elevate frontage roads, etc. All this in the name of progress!

I am posting this at this time only because we just got a message here at work from the Dallas Emergency Response Team. On this LONG email, there are 25 specific items (such as lane closures until 2013, bridge closures until 2014, etc.) detailing the nightmare that will represent I-635 for the coming years.

Some of the alternatives are not that great either. There is heavy construction north of downtown Dallas on Woodall Rogers Freeway for the next couple of years. ("They" are building a park above the Freeway!) I-30 south of downtown is OK, but it is quite a run through "The Canyon".

TX 121 from McKinney to Lewisville is good, but it is now the Sam Houston Tollway. The George H. W. Bush Tollway is another alternative from Plano to Carrollton. On these tollways, you just keep driving and get a picture of your license tag taken, and the North Texas Tollway Authority will send you a bill. Pay or a larger billable amount will soon show up.

If you do take TX 121 west, be aware that 121 and TX 114 are under heavy construction north of the DFW Airport (south of Bass Pro). I will drive an extra 20 miles to personally avoid this area!

Probably the best alternatives are US 380 from McKinney to Denton. On the east side of Denton, take Loop 288. If you need to go to Camping World, take Loop 288 North (which is north of the I-35 split). If you want to continue south to warmer regions, take Loop 288 South. Where Loop 288 intersects I-35E, a left turn is permissible out of both lanes under I-35E - just watch out for the "lane crossers". Otherwise, the southern alternative is I-20 across south Dallas to Arlington and Fort Worth.

For total piece of mind and low stress, I would avoid the whole Dallas-Fort Worth area and also the whole Houston metroplex!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
dspriggs

Avoid I-635 North

Thank you for this information. Is there a problem on I-635 North east of Hwy 75, or is the problem all west of 75. We are thinking of coming around the east side of Dallas tomorrow, but heading north on Hwy 75 from I-635.

PawPaw and KJMiMi
2010 Keystone Cougar 302 RLS
2001 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L Gas
Allison Transmission
Equal-i-zer Tow Hitch
dspriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
geo

Dspriggs -

Other than the "normal" traffic, you are good coming in from the east around to 75. There may start to be a backup as you approach TI and 75 due to the mess west of 75, so bring your patience. Just don't miss the ramp to 75. Have you driven this route since the "High 5" was constructed? I see you are Texan, so I would guess you have. I would suggest to avoid the normal morning and evening rush hours and also avoid noon time (11:30am to 1:30pm).

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
wgb1

Hmm......I am a construction inspector for TxDot and all I hear everyday is how broke we are. Wonder where this money is coming from?

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
geo

Texas Toll

Walter -

I do trust that you are an inspector with TXDOT. And I would also trust that you actually do know the answer.

For others, the answer is the phrase I used: "tollway". Yes, Walter, you are correct, for public road projects, we are flat broke. However, there are companies that are more than happy to build toll roads in Texas for the right to collect tolls plus a certain return before assigning these toll roads to TXDOT, NTTA, etc. In 5 years, if you come to Dallas, you can even pay a toll to drive as a single person in the car in the High Occupancy Vehicle I-635 lane. Money solves it all, right?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch

Tags
dallas, i-635, lbj