Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 04:48 AM   #1
Chalk

Atwood HW GC6AA-10E issue

Looking for some troubleshooting advice for the above mentioned HW heater.

LP Gas part of the heater quit about a week ago...did the normal TS checked continuity on thermostats and fuses...determined that the circuit board is bad. Received new CB and installed...fired right up. Next day turned on and all good....day three turned on and nothing...same issue as before.

Hear a clicking sound and slight smell of gas, but no ignition and the lights on circuit board are not lighting up. They did when it was working.

Electric side of HW works fine.

Any thoughts?

Worked fine prior no issues....new Premier 30RIPR had only five months.
Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
bobbecky

If it’s under warranty, just take it in and have it fixed or replaced. There may be other issues that are causing the board to go bad.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
Chalk

Would but its my place of residence at the moment...see my location....currently in Orlando, was in the process of moving and selling house in Panama City....that will take a little longer. Stuck like chuck at the moment.

Did pull back the insulation and the ECO was not in all the way...one tab was out....not sure if that was the problem or not. Atwood manual talks about ECO "If the E.C.O. terminals are contacting the drawn pan
– Atwood will warranty the board only if the inner tank of the water heater was installed flush on the floor of the coach."

If that was the problem...it may have created a short...not sure its kind of vague.

Checked the gas orifice to the inside switch panel, monitored the power to the board for awhile this afternoon, power seems stable coming in. Did order the board from Amazon, so trying to return it...ordered a Dinosaur board as well...will see if the third one is a charm.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
Chalk

Replaced the board and it started working - replaced the ignitor, ECO and Tstat as well (stimulating the economy ��)- fired right up - works like a champ again...though it was new to start with hmmmm.

Just to recap - checked continuity, power and ground and all was good....the circuit board ignitor part was not clicking nor were the LEDs working (they did when the CB worked); ECO was not installed correctly IMO from factory. The gas valve worked and the CB would go into lock out after the third attempt.

New to all this, but 98.999% sure it was the CB failing again after 2 uses - not sure if it was the ECO being potentially grounded.

Working now with a dinosaur board...hope it last longer than the 3 months the original

Thanks for the help
Old 11-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Good to hear you're back in hot water !!!!

That said, I stopped using OEM control boards about 20 years ago. Since then, it's been Dinosaur Electronics "aftermarket" boards for every replacement. To date, in that 20 years, I've never had a control board failure on any Dinosaur product. <knock on wood>

For the most part, Dinosaur is less expensive than OEM and is more reliable to boot.

Hopefully you'll have the same experience with their products.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

We use dinasour when possible, but are finding more often than not that manufacturers will not reimburse under warranty without using OEM board.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
atkinsb3

Having the same issue with our water heater. The propane worked one time but hasn't worked since.

Have had the trailer at the dealer multiple times since we bought it for extended periods due to this (and other issues). Was told twice that the water heater lit with no problem. Took it home the first time and it wouldn't light. Took it back the next time and after 2 months was told the same thing. Checked it before I left the dealer and it wouldn't light so asked them to demonstrate for me and they couldn't get it to light.

Tired of taking it back and forth to the dealer and nothing happening so plan to contact Keystone to see if they'll reimburse me for the control board. If not, I'm going with the Dinosaur control board.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote