Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
canadianboy

Gray Water tank

this is probably a dumb question, but I am still new to this TT thing, and learning more and more everyday. I have two gray water tanks on my unit, and does anyone know if the first gray tank fills up does it transfer over to the other gray tank, or are they on differents systems, ie. one for shower and sink, other for dish water... thanks for your time
canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #2
TAZ23

The 2 tanks are seperate and do not connect. At least not on any of the trailers I have seen. There should be 3 "T" handle dump valves for the tanks,1 for the black tank and 1 for each of the grey tanks.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Ron

And one gray tank is for the shower lav and the other for the kitchen drain...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
BulletOwner1

What year and model????

There is probably one outlet with two valves, one for the black tank and one for one grey tank and another outlet for the other grey tank.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
airforceret

I need to rework my third t handle. (INAPPROPRIATE TERM DELETED) at Keystone should have mounted it with the other two and not up under the trailer. Must be an engineer that came up with this one... LOL
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
BulletOwner1

I understand. My brother-in-law's 5th wheel has the third valve under the SLIDE. And he's got a bad back!!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
canadianboy

it has one valve for the black tank, and then two valves for the gray water tank, would be nice if you could equalize them
canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianboy View Post
it has one valve for the black tank, and then two valves for the gray water tank, would be nice if you could equalize them
There's a thead about this in a thread above this one. Good info.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
bigracenut

Yes, my Sprinter has 2 grey tanks, 1 black tank. The kitchen galley tank is small. Theres one dump hook up, and 3 valves. Black, grey, and galley.

2013 Keystone Sprinter 331 RLS, "The Hillbilly Hilton"
2013 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins
www.campingvacationnation.com
bigracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
bobbecky

Not to defend Keystone on the placement of the galley tank drain pull, but there is a limit on how long the pull cable can be, friction being the biggest problem. I don't think the manufacturers of the valve/cable assemblies make them any longer than six feet, and the galley tank location would prohibit placement of the handle in the convenience center. As a possible mod, there are electrically controlled drain valves that can replace the existing galley tank valve, and the switch for that could be located in the convenience center. Valterra makes one, E1003VP -- EZ - Valve Electric Waste Valve System, which is suitable for both black and gray use. Another is Drainmaster, http://drainmaster.com/site/products/mini-view
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
Jim W

Here is a thought for you before the slide is extend hook up the sewer hose than open the galley drain handle leaving the galley drain open until you leave. I started doing this about two years ago and I now do not have to crawl under the extended slide to open the galley drain. We have never had an order issue as long as the traps are full of water; this would be just like your home kitchen drain. Oh by the way we always use full hook-up sites DW wants’ it this way.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Here is a thought for you before the slide is extend hook up the sewer hose than open the galley drain handle leaving the galley drain open until you leave. I started doing this about two years ago and I now do not have to crawl under the extended slide to open the galley drain. We have never had an order issue as long as the traps are full of water; this would be just like your home kitchen drain. Oh by the way we always use full hook-up sites DW wants’ it this way.

Jim W.
Jim,

That sounds like a good idea for those who are crawling under their RV "after the tank is full".

I also leave my kitchen gray tank open when we are camping, but when I dump the black tank, I make sure to close all the gray tank valves. Not because of odor, the sink traps will stop that from entering the RV, but I close them because I don't want the black tank contents to contaminate the gray tanks so I don't have the potential smell should the traps dry out during storage. Has it ever happened? Not to me, and hopefully it won't. I just don't want to contaminate my gray tanks with black tank effluent.

Another action to make things easier is to use the awning rod (the 4' rod with a circle on one end and a right angle on the other). Kneel beside (not under) the slide and you can reach the dump valve handle with the circle to pull it open or to close it after dumping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Jim,

That sounds like a good idea for those who are crawling under their RV "after the tank is full".

I also leave my kitchen gray tank open when we are camping, but when I dump the black tank, I make sure to close all the gray tank valves. Not because of odor, the sink traps will stop that from entering the RV, but I close them because I don't want the black tank contents to contaminate the gray tanks so I don't have the potential smell should the traps dry out during storage. Has it ever happened? Not to me, and hopefully it won't. I just don't want to contaminate my gray tanks with black tank effluent.

Another action to make things easier is to use the awning rod (the 4' rod with a circle on one end and a right angle on the other). Kneel beside (not under) the slide and you can reach the dump valve handle with the circle to pull it open or to close it after dumping.
First law of plumbing is s*** rolls down hill. On the 318SAB the galley tank drain pipe is at least three feet away from the black tank drain valve and uphill too.

With the 318SAB you have an electric awning so there is no awning rod to use on the galley tank pull to open it with. The gray water tank pull (bathroom) is next to the black water tank pull; so this is opened and closed when need to clean black water drain pipe.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
First law of plumbing is s*** rolls down hill. On the 318SAB the galley tank drain pipe is at least three feet away from the black tank drain valve and uphill too.

With the 318SAB you have an electric awning so there is no awning rod to use on the galley tank pull to open it with. The gray water tank pull (bathroom) is next to the black water tank pull; so this is opened and closed when need to clean black water drain pipe.

Jim W.
Jim,

Sending you a PM.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote