Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
Tgo15

New to rv's

Hello from Key West
We lost our home in the hurricane
I am looking at an keystone retreat 391 MKTS
Any info on this type of unit would be greatly appreciated good or bad.
My main concern is I will be staying in it a lot in south Florida with 90 + degree days with all The windows I hope to be able to keep it cold in the heat of the day
It has 2 13,500 BTU A/C units in it but I have heard stories about two unit not being able to cool down the unit
Thank you again
Tom
Tgo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:20 AM   #2
notanlines

I'm going to give you a rough idea of what is required, but I simply cannot give you a definitive answer. The standard of the industry for a residential dwelling is as follows: Find the correct cooling capacity for your room size
Area To Be Cooled (square feet) 450 up to 550
Capacity Needed (BTUs per hour) 12,000

Remember, this is for an average house in an average climate. You probably have a 15K unit and a 13.5K up on the roof. The 15K will service the main living area and the 13.5K the bedroom.
Wherever it is sitting at this minute, turn on both units on high and return in two hours. (Don't start them at 3 in the afternoon after the sun has heated them up to 120 inside) See for yourself what the temp feels like and then you make a final judgment.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
JimQ

I'm sorry you lost your home. My thoughts and prayers have been with all of the people who have suffered so much during this active hurricane season. I hope you can take one day at a time and get back on your feet. Best of luck with the RV. Folks here will provide any information you request.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
geobet

Really sorry for the loss of your home and for you and the keys that had to endure so much destruction. I live outside of Ocala. We really dodged a bullet! I have a High Country 310 with two ac's. A 15K and 13 K. You get the breezes in Key West that we don't usually get here, although our summer temps and humidity are pretty close. Mine keeps my unit as cold as I want. I've camped in the keys and south Florida in the dead of summer and not had a problem keeping the unit cool. Best of luck to you!

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your home.

The Retreat you are looking at is about 3' longer than my trailer. It has quite a bit of glass as mine does. You live in Key West. We only use the trailer in the FL panhandle but we stay all over FL and have been to Key West several times.

Obviously, the heat and humidity in the summer is the big concern. I think the area in the panhandle where we stay; surrounded by bays and rivers, is just as humid and hot as Key West....probably more bugs. We have one 15k AC and one 13.5AC (bedroom). They will do the job in the summer. We do use insulated reflective material in the windows facing west and/or south depending on trailer orientation along with fans. We started going in the winter because we just didn't like the heat, humidity and the incessant bugs.

My concern with your trailer is the increased size (3' longer and I believe the interior is higher). With two 13.5 ACs I'm afraid you might be really stretched at times trying to stay comfortable. I would definitely go with two 15k units on the unit and you would probably be OK. JMO
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote