Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
NH_Bulldog

Power tongue jack electical source

I imagine I will end up with a Popeye arm at the end of the season if I don't install a power tongue jack before too long. Along the way I have seen models that are direct wire to the battery and models that have an RV plug to connect to the tow vehicle for power. Does anyone have a preference? While the plug option seems easy, it also seems like it has its limitations (the truck has to be within the distance of the cord). As I am looking through the various models and styles, I am thinking that a Bulldog #500187 with direct wire to the battery is the way to go. Despite the price tag, I like the look, and the fact that I can orientate it to one side or the other as well as the standard forward facing. Thoughts, suggestions?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
IMASAP

I installed the Husky HB4500 jack on our 15 Bullet 243bhs four years ago. I will never again own a TT without a power jack. I put a breaker right at the + on the trailer battery, and connected the power to the jack to that. It was certainly one of the best things I've done to our trailer since we bought it.

I don't have a better pic, but I used a piece of aluminum and drilled a hole for the + stud on the battery, and a second hole for the post on the breaker. Then wired the jack to the other side of the breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190520_133137.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	21881  
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Texas Steve

I just installed a Stromberg Carlson 5000 about a month ago. Direct connect to the battery with the provided in line fuse. I too had the Popeye arm until I installed it!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Eastham

How far do you have to raise the electric tounge Jack to get the bars off on the equalizer hitch?will they slide off the bracket or do you use force to get them loose?
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
How far do you have to raise the electric tounge Jack to get the bars off on the equalizer hitch?will they slide off the bracket or do you use force to get them loose?

Raise the jack until you can grab the sway bar, pull up on it at the L bracket and it has a bit of play - stop, remove the pins and pull the bars out. The force required to pull the bars out (once lifted properly) depends 100% on the torque you have applied to the bolts at the head - I run 65-75 ft. lbs. and my truck feels like the trailer is welded to it.....sort of.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:59 AM   #6
Eastham

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try. They are also torqued at 67 to 70 ft lbs.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 AM   #7
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
I just lift mine as far as the jack will go. Sometimes that's enough that I don't need the bar to put them in place, other times I still need the bar. Depends on how flat the lot is and how straight the truck and trailer are.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, tongue jack