Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
Libbett

Apparently the brand of solid surface in FW is top secret

Anyone know why Keystone would basically refuse to tell me what brand the solid surface and color name is of my countertops in my Cougar? I've called them and live chatted with them and on the phone call, the answer I got was "we don't recommend modifications" and then was told I needed to go through my dealer. The live chat told me the brand, Corian, but anything else I had to go through my dealer. We're wanting to add a folding counter extension and I'm picky; anything we do to our camper I want to look like it came that way (I know, it's a modification! ). I contacted my dealer, who is pretty good even after the sale, and they were blown off by Keystone. Seriously folks, what makes this top secret??
Libbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

As a practice, this is not surprising. Keystone does everything through their dealers.

As a general rule, it is best to contact the dealer first. You'll save time and headaches.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
bobbecky

In our Montana, there used to be one of the little emblems stuck the the countertop in the kitchen that was Corian, but it came loose years ago.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You might touch base with Trekwood. They are a RV dealership that also specializes in Keystone RV parts. Their customer service department is extremely competent and would likely be able to help you with your questions. Remember, colors change from model year to model year and often will change mid-year as the older components are used and the new stock (for next year) starts arriving, so no guarantees that what's in your trailer is the same color as the next one down the assembly line or the one that was completed just ahead of yours.....

Give Trekwood a call. You can find their contact info at Trekwood.com

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
Libbett

Yes, I gave them my VIN number for that reason the first time. I reached out to Keystone again with my question (didn't give them my VIN right off the bat)and got a response in less than 12 hours asking for my VIN number so I'm a little excited that maybe they'll answer this time! Not getting my hopes up though....
Old 12-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Sometime I wonder if Keystone actually knows what was installed in each individual Keystone trailer. Seems like they may buy box cars of product with possibly different production dates then randomly use product from these box cars ??

In regard to matching colors on products, this always seems to be an issue due to different production dates. Example: try to match the color of ceramic tile from one production period to the next. Same product number etc.. Surprisingly the colors match within the same trailer. Just my two cents.

Keystone would prefer customers deal directly with the dealer, one problem in this case is the dealers are further away from what actually got installed on the production line.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Hankster

There's a good chance that it's a propietary color,
Old 12-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #8
Libbett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
There's a good chance that it's a propietary color,
If that's the case, I understand but they should tell me that and be done with it. I do know that their Montana High Country mid bunk has a counter extension in the same color but with our island overhang and the size, it wouldn't be worth it. We started with having our local Camping World look into it and see if a larger size was available but that dealer is so incompetent that I got tired of calling and getting that the gal who was handling is out or she always seemed to not remember she was supposed to be doing that. In the meantime, we're looking into sold colors that may look ok. It's just frustrating. It's not like we're trying to rebuild the dang FW though sometimes we feel we are with tacking back up trimwork, etc.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Since you either didn't, couldn't or wouldn't take a look at Trekwoods's site, I took the liberty to spend about 3 minutes doing it for you. Your solid surface countertop color is: <drumroll> HI MACS (manufacturer) VENUS LITE LIBRA (color).

You can, if you see the need, find the information at this Trekwood link: http://www.trekwood.com/parts-search...23+%2F+Keyword

Sometimes, it's much easier to just do it yourself rather than complain that the dealership isn't helping you.

I hope this answers your questions and you can find the material to complete your folding countertop extension.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #10
travelin texans

If it's in fact true Corian you should be able go to your local home improvement store or Corian dealer & find the color. If you find out the color from Trekwood you could probably still get it locally & MUCH cheaper. On some items Trekwood is a good deal, but usually gouge the hell out of you on shipping. I'm sure Keystone just buys a pile of them from Corian & slaps them on, so I doubt it's proprietary, just whatever's cheapest.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #11
notanlines

And it took me three minutes to find out it available from Lowe’s and HD.
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
Libbett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Since you either didn't, couldn't or wouldn't take a look at Trekwoods's site, I took the liberty to spend about 3 minutes doing it for you. Your solid surface countertop color is: <drumroll> HI MACS (manufacturer) VENUS LITE LIBRA (color).

You can, if you see the need, find the information at this Trekwood link: http://www.trekwood.com/parts-search...23+%2F+Keyword

Sometimes, it's much easier to just do it yourself rather than complain that the dealership isn't helping you.

I hope this answers your questions and you can find the material to complete your folding countertop extension.
Thank you for your polite post and your assumption (and you know what that makes of you and me) that I didn't check with Trekwood, I did, and no, that is not the one that is in my camper. I did see that one at Home Depot a while back, but the sample I took home was totally different from my countertop. Guess we have the lone solid surface top.

Have a Fantastic Friday everyone! 113 days (but who's counting?) in our parts until we camp again!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
moodman

I have a suggestion. Why don't you remove the old counter rebuild it plus what you want to be added and then you can be sure that your color is correct? I know it will cost more, but at least it will be what you want.
moodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #14
camperbrian

Have you tried looking here?
http://www.corian.com/-colors-of-corian-r
Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #15
itat

Unless there was a Corian sticker on the countertop when it was delivered to Libbet, I doubt it actually is Dupont Corian. The fact that neither Keystone nor his Cougar dealer could or would provide the information, it'll be a trial and error search for the right product and color. And it doesn't speak well for Keystone Cougar IMO.

Moodman's suggestion would be faster and guarantee a matching extension piece, but may be pricey. Maybe you could use a contrasting material like a chopping block wood and make sink covers of the same material?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #16
Ken / Claudia

I tried the same thing back in 2013. Asked the dealer to get another piece of what I had and he could use it for a counter extension. As in the cut out from the sink area that they may be throwing away. Seems simple but it would not happen. I am talking about the factory in Oregon. They would sell me a square piece at a way to damn high of price. So I gave up that idea. Either a add on of a wood type surface or I could replace the whole counter top. Fo a RV we use a couple weeks a year I passed on both.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

I've been called an "A S S" already by the OP, but like water off a duck's back, doesn't really bother me AT ALL....

That said, his countertop is not Corian. It is manufactured by a company named HI MACS and the color is VENUS LITE LIBRA.

There is a HI MACS solid surface countertop available at Lowe's, but the color is VENUS it is not VENUS LITE LIBRA.

Sort of like going to WalMart to buy a can of Campbell's Chicken Dumpling Soup. You can find Great Value Chicken Noodle Soup, but it isn't the same, won't taste the same and won't look the same.... Just like going to a Corian store asking for HI MACS solid countertop.

Going to Lowe's to get a sample of HI MACS VENUS won't get you the same.....

I'll make it as simple as I can. Contact your dealer with these words: HI MACS VENUS LITE LIBRA......... Or, continue complaining, eventually the cows will come home.....

Yeah, I'm a little "short on smiles" but still attempting to help.... Gee,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I've been called an "A S S" already by the OP, but like water off a duck's back, doesn't really bother me AT ALL....

That said, his countertop is not Corian. It is manufactured by a company named HI MACS and the color is VENUS LITE LIBRA.

There is a HI MACS solid surface countertop available at Lowe's, but the color is VENUS it is not VENUS LITE LIBRA.

Sort of like going to WalMart to buy a can of Campbell's Chicken Dumpling Soup. You can find Great Value Chicken Noodle Soup, but it isn't the same, won't taste the same and won't look the same.... Just like going to a Corian store asking for HI MACS solid countertop.

Going to Lowe's to get a sample of HI MACS VENUS won't get you the same.....

I'll make it as simple as I can. Contact your dealer with these words: HI MACS VENUS LITE LIBRA......... Or, continue complaining, eventually the cows will come home.....

Yeah, I'm a little "short on smiles" but still attempting to help.... Gee,

^^^^^^Woo Hoo!!! I think you win the jackpot!! After following this discussion for a while I decided to crawl under my island and look around. At first I was dismayed because I saw so much scribbled on the bottom; "Rush", "install today", "install this direction", "no screws here...put them over there", "whoops Bill, you messed up"....etc. But there, over in the corner, what do I see???? A sticker partially torn off in the corner but upon further inspection what do "I" have for a counter top (per the little sticker)? Hi-Macs Pearl Chip Beige - Goldrush, beveled edges, "thermoformed lips"? !! No Corian here (although that is what we were told by the salesman). There are other stock numbers etc. but..... Maybe the OP has that same little sticker under the counter or island? And John, thank you for letting me know what was on top of my cabinets.....and I didn't even know I wanted to know!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #19
Ddubya

Ours is made by LG. There was a care instruction in our Keystone information packet.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #20
Logan X

I wasn’t really paying attention to this thread but I happened to come across it today. I’m sure glad I did! There is some great information on countertops and assumptions. Haha
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote