Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
Wxman

Slide Roof / Gearbox Leak

Just an update for those that may be interested. Just got the TT back, one day short of 3 weeks. Atwood furnace recall and slide roof bubbles from leaking gearbox on slide motor.
Replaced entire slide roof and added drip pan to gearbox. Did not replace gearbox or motor. I was expecting patches to roof. Advisor told me he didn't know why Keystone approved some patches and some replacements.
All good on the repairs as far as I can tell.

Battery was stone cold dead at pickup. Wouldn't even light the LED in the elec jack.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
RGreene

Just had the same issue with our 2018 cougar. Dealer replaced the slide roof membrane and the gearbox. But no drip tray!
RGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
jsmith948

If it were mine, I would MacGyver a drip pan. The new gearbox is going to eventually leak. JMHO...FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Just chillin

The bad part is they are still leaving the factory with the same problem. I just picked up my 2019 and both gearboxes are leaking onto the roof slide roofs.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
RMC

How to check for gearbox leak

We are picking up our 2019 Passport 2200 this week-end. How do I check for this?

Excuse my ignorance but this is our first TT and we're not familiar with how slide-outs work.

As a side, the sales manager has been very persistent in pushing a topper for the slide on us ($500 USD option). Would this be part of the motivation in pushing the slide topper? Would the topper help with this issue?
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

RMC,

The slide (any slide) should not leak with or without a slide topper. They are more a convenience to prevent debris from accumulating on the slide roof, to provide shade/cooling and to help keep the slide roof clean. They do provide a bit of "rain protection" but the slide should not leak even without a topper.

That said, the dealer's cost for the slide is probably 30% of the quoted price, installation is about 20% of the quote, so for him, he stands to make another $250 if you say yes.

Is it worth the expense? Some say yes, others say no. I will say that I see more trailers without slide toppers than with, but that again is a personal decision. You can always add them later. If you include it in the financing, you'll be paying interest on that $500 for the term of the financing, so the cost is more than "just the purchase price of $500"....

As for checking the motor/gearbox for oil leakage, with the slide partly in, use a flash light, peek over the top of the slide fascia and you should see the motor. Look for any oil puddling along the bottom of the motor and the gearbox. Then go outside, look at the same location on the slide TPO roof membrane. You should not see any oil or "puckered TPO" in the area adjacent to the slide flange in the area where the motor would be positioned when the slide is fully retracted (inside the RV).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
jdixon980

Just dropped my 2018 Cougar 367FLS at dealer Friday to have my slide out roof fixed. Both slide outs up front is bubbled. Requested new roofs instead of patches. Told service writer if Keystone don’t approve new slide out roofs to give me a call. Sure didn’t buy a brand new fifth wheel to have patches on slide out. Cost to much money!! It will be interesting to see what happens.
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If I had to have a patch on a EPDM or TPO roof, I'd prefer it be on the actual RV roof, not on a slide roof. The "wipers" and "seals" on a slide tend to drag over the roofing, adding a potential for the patch to be "peeled away" as the slide is retracted and extended for use. If there's any part of the roofing system that, IMHO, should be intact without repairs, it's the slide roof. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-27-2018, 04:48 AM   #9
Troutbound1

Dealer replaced slide box roof membrane and installed drip pan. No issue getting it repaired.
Troutbound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
Fish

slide leaking oil

My 367FLS is leaking oil from the slide motor onto the slide roof as well. I have talked with several dealerships and Keystone is not fixing the issue with the motor, just band aiding and letting the customer pay for repairs after warranty. This is insane. Yes, they may replace roof membrane and motor but that is not the root cause. The motors are defective and Keystone is aware but will not do anything about it.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdixon980 View Post
Just dropped my 2018 Cougar 367FLS at dealer Friday to have my slide out roof fixed. Both slide outs up front is bubbled. Requested new roofs instead of patches. Told service writer if Keystone don’t approve new slide out roofs to give me a call. Sure didn’t buy a brand new fifth wheel to have patches on slide out. Cost to much money!! It will be interesting to see what happens.
Hello - what is the outcome? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
MarkEHansen

I doubt Keystone makes the motors so there may be little they can do other than repairing the damage and installing the drip pans.

The question I have is, why aren't they installing the drip pans proactively? Seems like they are banking on the fact that many folks won't notice the problem with their slide roofs until after their warranty runs out.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
My 367FLS is leaking oil from the slide motor onto the slide roof as well. I have talked with several dealerships and Keystone is not fixing the issue with the motor, just band aiding and letting the customer pay for repairs after warranty. This is insane. Yes, they may replace roof membrane and motor but that is not the root cause. The motors are defective and Keystone is aware but will not do anything about it.
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. The motor is defective, Keystone is replacing the motor. The slide roof is damaged from leaking oil, Keystone is replacing the slide roof (or repairing the damaged area). What rationale are you using to then say, "Keystone is aware but will not do anything about it" The two don't go hand in hand. Keystone is repairing the trailers and that can't be ignoring the problem ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #14
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. The motor is defective, Keystone is replacing the motor. The slide roof is damaged from leaking oil, Keystone is replacing the slide roof (or repairing the damaged area). What rationale are you using to then say, "Keystone is aware but will not do anything about it" The two don't go hand in hand. Keystone is repairing the trailers and that can't be ignoring the problem ??????
Well, replacing a defective motor with another defective motor is not solving the issue with the motor. Keystone should be working and putting pressure on the motor manufacture to correct the issue with the motor. Installing a new roof membrane and installing another motor that is going to leak, is just masking the real issue. I was told Keystone is aware that the motors are defective. What is the owner to do after warranty runs out and has to pay upwards of 1k to have repairs done on each slide.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I doubt Keystone makes the motors so there may be little they can do other than repairing the damage and installing the drip pans.

The question I have is, why aren't they installing the drip pans proactively? Seems like they are banking on the fact that many folks won't notice the problem with their slide roofs until after their warranty runs out.
Adding a drip pan really just saves the membrane. A good thing, don't get me wrong, I agree with that. However, what happens when the oil drains from the motor and the motor seizes up and the slide wont come in. Keystone, if they don't manufacture the motor should be able to influence the manufacture to fix the issue. Could it be a revenue generator after warranty runs out.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Revenue generater? Keystone isn’t going to make any money after the warranty period, the dealer will. There isn’t any “arrangement” between any dealer and manufacturer that I’m aware of.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I have talked with several dealerships and Keystone is not fixing the issue
If you want to find out what Keystone is doing about any issue the last place I'd ask is a dealership, go straight to Keystone. The dealership will also tell you that you can tow that 40' you hauler with your 1/2 ton truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

It really sounds like this thread is turning into a discussion of "unending hypothesis".... If you buy a new GM, Ford, RAM truck and the windshield wiper motor "self destructs" when you take it to the dealership, they'll replace the motor (with another similar one) and repair any other damage done (under warranty). They WILL NOT give you an extended warranty and they will not "ensure an improved motor is designed by someone so you'll never have a problem again.

Sounds to me like some are expecting a fix that will guarantee it'll never happen again. First, NOBODY has established that the motors in question are, as a whole, defective (how many are in use and how many have failed?) and NOBODY has established that the motor manufacturer hasn't fixed the problem. One statement is that the motor seal was changed and is defective allowing the leak AND that some motor gearboxes were overfilled with oil. THOSE (not all) are suspected to be the ones leaking. How many were overfilled? How many trailers (out of the thousands built) by ALL manufacturers who used that motor are affected?

Since this is NOT a traffic safety hazard, no "mandatory recall will be ordered by NHTSA. It simply doesn't qualify as a mandated recall.

I understand that if YOUR trailer is affected, you deserve and expect repair, but this does not affect EVERY trailer with slides and it is not a safety hazard. Put into perspective, I believe Keystone is doing the right thing by repairing the trailers identified as damaged and I wouldn't expect them to recall every trailer and change out motors "just in case" any more than I'd expect GM, Ford and RAM to recall my truck because someone else had a windshield wiper motor fail.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #19
Peacemkr53

Like RMC I am taking possession of my 2019 Cougar 315RLS. Will be having the service dept go over the slide motors with me before we hookup.
Peacemkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemkr53 View Post
Like RMC I am taking possession of my 2019 Cougar 315RLS. Will be having the service dept go over the slide motors with me before we hookup.
Not to minimize your comment, but don't forget to find out where your water pump is located, where ALL of the dump valves are located, where the battery cutoff switch is located and how to winterize your water heater. Lots to go over when taking delivery of a new/used trailer, focusing on the slide motor is only one small part of inspecting your trailer !!!!!

Enjoy the process and hopefully everything will be in order.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
leak, roof, slide