Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
shawdog

Towing with a ram 1500

We have a 2012 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. We tow a 2017 keystone outback 332fk travel trailer.when we camp we usually don't pull it more than 50-75 miles and we have no problems at all. We live in central illinois and we are planning on pulling the camper to phoenix az.i am wondering if my 1500 will be up to the task. Loaded the camper is close to 10000 pounds. My wife says we are not trading trucks right now. Any suggestions? Thank you
shawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

If you haven't you need to take the rig to a scale - you will be overweight. If you haven't scaled it, what are the numbers from the stickers inside the driver door? What is payload....1600 or so? What is the axle ratio of the truck?

At 10k figure 1200 for tongue weight, 100 for wdh then "everything" else. I've pulled a 10k travel trailer with a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 AND a 2013. With the above guesstimates you have maybe 300 left for people, kids, puppies, gear, tools, jacks, ice chests/ice and on and on. Unless you go on the trip completely, totally unprepared you will be overweight substantially.

Other things you need to do before you attempt this trip; 1) make sure you have the highest liability your carrier offers, 2) replace the tires on the trailer if you haven't and don't go anywhere unless you have LRE tires (if the size is 225/75R15), 3) don't go anywhere unless you have LT tires on that 1500 along with air bags and a VERY good 4 point sway control - these are bare minimums to keep you from having a terrible experience before you even get out of your state.

I can speak from experience because I did the same thing with my combo. You say you tow with "no problems at all" - I would doubt that - you just don't know about them. And, more than anything, you don't want to discover what that "problem" is/was at 65mph. I was over on payload and knew it but hoped the mods I did would "make it better" - it didn't and it won't for you. I made one round trip and did not like the towing experience although I said it did "just fine" assuming some of the things, after all those changes, were just the way it was going to be with an almost 38' trailer...same as yours. But still, I was overweight and could not take my mind off of it. DW trusted me to keep us safe, and I wasn't. Bought a HD truck and....wow, towing is now far, far safer and much, much more fun. If I were you and had kids, there would be a HD truck pulling that trailer before I left - I know of what I speak.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you haven't you need to take the rig to a scale - you will be overweight. If you haven't scaled it, what are the numbers from the stickers inside the driver door? What is payload....1600 or so? What is the axle ratio of the truck?

At 10k figure 1200 for tongue weight, 100 for wdh then "everything" else. I've pulled a 10k travel trailer with a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 AND a 2013. With the above guesstimates you have maybe 300 left for people, kids, puppies, gear, tools, jacks, ice chests/ice and on and on. Unless you go on the trip completely, totally unprepared you will be overweight substantially.

Other things you need to do you attempt this trip; 1) make sure you have the highest liability your carrier offers, 2) replace the tires on the trailer if you haven't and don't go anywhere unless you have LRE tires (if the size is 225/75R15), 3) don't go anywhere unless you have LT tires on that 1500 along with air bags and a VERY good 4 point sway control - these are bare minimums to keep you from having a terrible experience before you even get out of your state.

I can speak from experience because I did the same thing with my combo. You say you tow with "no problems at all" - I would doubt that - you just don't know about them. And, more than anything, you don't want to discover what that "problem" is/was at 65mph. I was over on payload and knew it but hoped the mods I did would "make it better" - it didn't and it won't for you. I made one round trip and did not like the towing experience although I said it did "just fine" assuming some of the things, after all those changes, were just the way it was going to be with an almost 38' trailer...same as yours. But still, I was overweight and could not take my mind off of it. DW trusted me to keep us safe, and I wasn't. Bought a HD truck and....wow, towing is now far, far safer and much, much more fun. If I were you and had kids, there would be a HD truck pulling that trailer before I left - I know of what I speak.
^^^I agree with Danny 100%. This is good advice.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
notanlines

"My wife says we are not trading trucks right now." I think she needs to be in on this conversation so she can make the bus reservations.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
MarkEHansen

To the OP: Keep in mind there are many factors that go into a safe towing experience. For example:

1. Enough power to pull the combined rig without undue stress on the engine.

2. Enough braking capacity to stop the combined rig without undue stress on the brakes (both tow vehicle and trailer - but don't bet your life that the trailer brakes will be there when you need them).

3. Enough truck/hitch to manage the load going down the road.

And others.

What you really need to worry about is what will happen when things go south. This may be as simple as being passed by a large tractor/trailer rig or as unexpected as a deer jumping onto the road causing an emergency maneuver.

If you want to be sure, you should "check the numbers" - and there are folks here that will help you with that. It's much more than just the size of your engine.

Once you know where you stand, you can make an informed decision.

Many on this forum have been in this situation before and can empathize with you, so please don't feel like you're getting beaten up. Most all just want to help you make a safe decision.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If you decide to go through with it, chances are you'll be in the market for a new truck soon.

Can you do it? Sure, but going up the mountains will be slow. You'll have to select where to lock out your top gear. Coming downhill will be fast, and winds will move you around. I've been there and done that on a trip to Yellowstone. Bought a new truck 3500hd diesel the following Spring and never regretted the decision.

I loved Yellowstone. The 3,000 mile trip, not so much. My hands still hurt from white knuckle death gripping the steering wheel.

Would I do it again? Absolutely not. Do I recommend it? No I don't.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

shawdog is throwing chum to the weight sharks... hold on now, another "my truck ain't big enough thread". There should be a sticky in the tow vehicle section that says, "your 1/2 ton ain't gonna get it done after X number of pounds"... whatcha think? About 7K lbs or so should be a good number to drop on the poor new rv buyer who falls for the "1/2 ton towable" smoke and mirrors.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
shawdog is throwing chum to the weight sharks... hold on now, another "my truck ain't big enough thread". There should be a sticky in the tow vehicle section that says, "your 1/2 ton ain't gonna get it done after X number of pounds"... whatcha think? About 7K lbs or so should be a good number to drop on the poor new rv buyer who falls for the "1/2 ton towable" smoke and mirrors.

George, I'm not sure I understand your meaning. Is it a bad thing to try to respond honestly, with experience, or just another "weight shark" waiting to bite thing to you? Sorta like a "****" (as we just went through)??

I think you've said in the past you really "don't do all the calculations/numbers" ( from memory). Why then would you refer to those that do, and worry about others, as sharks? I'm not sure that kind of rhetoric benefits anyone. As far as a sticky...every truck is different, there is no set weight value for any truck - it would be impossible.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #9
goducks

She may think she's not trading trucks, after you arrive in Phoenix you may be truck shopping.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing