Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
xrated

Can I still hang out here......

I know (obviously) that this is a Keystone forum and the title of my thread is more of a tongue in cheek statement, but Peggy and I have decided to upgrade of Toy Hauler. It has been a great trailer and I'm not sorry at all for getting it when we did, it has served our purpose wonderfully....but, as things change and I'm getting closer to retirement (she's already retired), we will hopefully be doing more and more camping/trips and we felt like we were just a bit cramped in the Impact. So, we are going to trade it in next weekend and we are bringing home a new Grand Design Momentum 394M. This will be my first ever experience with pulling a 5ver....and a big 5ver at that. Official length is 42 1/2' but counting the little more of the nose of the trailer, it's probably going to be close to 44'. We are excited for sure, but I'm a nervous wreck over the thought of towing something that long....even though total length from the front bumper of my truck to the end of the trailer will most likely only be a little over 2' longer than my present setup, a tow behind. I've towed trailer of some sort (all smaller) for 45+ years, but I am humble enough to know that towing a 5ver is a different animal than a tow behind. So there will be a learning curve for sure.

I have met a bunch of great people on this forum and I hope to be able to continue being a part of this group, because after all, it's not just about the trailer, it's also about the people we've made friendships with and the places we go and the camping we enjoy.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
Northofu1

I will let you stay
Congrats on the new trailer, You've picked a good make.
In case they kick you out All the best in towing and retiring.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
JimQ

Of course you can stay! Lol Congrats on the new 5' er! I'm sure you'll do fine towing it. My brother in-law has the Reflection and it's a nice unit for sure! I'm happy for you! Best of luck with it!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Vern, I suspect we would be upset if you DIDN'T hang out with us! I belong to quite a few forums but this, to me, is far and away the most active and informative....in a real time basis.

Congrats on that new trailer. The learning curve won't be that steep I'm sure and I also bet you are going to have a whale of a time! Go Enjoy!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
xrated

Thanks guys......I've always tried my best to be a helpful person. We all have to start as newbies no matter what we are doing....camping trailers, motorcycles, whatever. I have really appreciated all the help I've received from this forum (I was a total newb when I joined here) and have learned so much from others on this forum. I'm certainly not an "expert" on many things, but I will try to help with the things I have knowledge of....and that is what this forum has been for me....making some friends, sharing info, and enjoying the learning of the newest chapter of my life......camping!

Old 02-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
MattHelm21

Congratulations on the new trailer. Don’t leave us. It would be a loss to the community.

You’ll do fine with that size trailer. Just go a little slower at first until you determine what spaces you can’t get into. Swing wider in turns going forward and be sure your mirrors allow you to spot the trailer tires in turns before you head out. If it wasn’t strictly necessary before, when backing the long fiver, use your forward pull and turn(my term) to position yourself placing the trailer already at an angle. Enjoy!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
Jseitz

Congrats on the New Grand Design! I just move from Elkhart IN, home of the RV world. You have a first class unit! Best of luck! I look forward to reading about your adventure on here!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Nice fiver. We are a Grand Designs dealer and I know the momentum’s quite well. I will be able to help you in your adventures so you better stick around LOL.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
MerlinB

Once you pull that fiver you will never want to go back to a bumper pull.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
Congratulations on the new trailer. Don’t leave us. It would be a loss to the community.

You’ll do fine with that size trailer. Just go a little slower at first until you determine what spaces you can’t get into. Swing wider in turns going forward and be sure your mirrors allow you to spot the trailer tires in turns before you head out. If it wasn’t strictly necessary before, when backing the long fiver, use your forward pull and turn(my term) to position yourself placing the trailer already at an angle. Enjoy!
Thanks Matt.....it looks like your trailer and mine are almost identical size wise....everything from the length to the width, height, GVWR, etc. I've been watching a lot of videos on towing large 5vers, but my stomach is still churning a bit with the prospect of actually doing it.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jseitz View Post
Congrats on the New Grand Design! I just move from Elkhart IN, home of the RV world. You have a first class unit! Best of luck! I look forward to reading about your adventure on here!
Thank you....we are excited and nervous...all at the same time.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Nice fiver. We are a Grand Designs dealer and I know the momentum’s quite well. I will be able to help you in your adventures so you better stick around LOL.
Thanks Chuck.....that means a lot to me. You have always been very helpful and knowledgeable and belonging to a forum like this means a lot to me....thanks to guys like you and many others.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Congratulations on "movin' on up" It may not be the east side, but that's sure a nice looking trailer. Stick around and keep us posted on how the transition to fifth wheel towing goes !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Congratulations on "movin' on up" It may not be the east side, but that's sure a nice looking trailer. Stick around and keep us posted on how the transition to fifth wheel towing goes !!!!!
Thanks John. You are just one of the many folks on this forum that makes it what it is.....I'm proud to be a member here.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
MattHelm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Thanks Matt.....it looks like your trailer and mine are almost identical size wise....everything from the length to the width, height, GVWR, etc. I've been watching a lot of videos on towing large 5vers, but my stomach is still churning a bit with the prospect of actually doing it.
You’ll do great. Watch the overpass signs a bit more closely on surface streets for a while. We went from 12’ 8” to 13’ 3”. I guess you’re going from less to 13’ 6”. We ducked under one 13’ 6” bridge successfully but it was a worry moment.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #16
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
You’ll do great. Watch the overpass signs a bit more closely on surface streets for a while. We went from 12’ 8” to 13’ 3”. I guess you’re going from less to 13’ 6”. We ducked under one 13’ 6” bridge successfully but it was a worry moment.
Yep, going form 12' 6" to 13' 6". And the bad thing is, it won't fit in the 2 year old RV carport I bought....height wise or length wise

Old 02-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #17
Old Mustanger

Congratulations on moving to a 5th wheeler! I think you will find the towing a lot more pleasurable (without the sway impact when a truck passes you). Backing is different and may take a little (or a lot if your like me ) practice, I found the trailer doesn't react as quickly when trying to straighten from a tight turn.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #18
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Congratulations on moving to a 5th wheeler! I think you will find the towing a lot more pleasurable (without the sway impact when a truck passes you). Backing is different and may take a little (or a lot if your like me ) practice, I found the trailer doesn't react as quickly when trying to straighten from a tight turn.
Thank you. I'm sure it's going to be different than pulling a tow behind, which I've done for almost 48 years, so for me, it's going to be "slow and easy" with a lot of looking around to make sure I don't screw up. One of the many videos that I've watched on towing big 5vers (the guy was towing a 44' Momentum toy hauler in the video, the guy got the trailer rearend pointed where he needed to go, then stopped completely and turned the wheels the opposite direction to follow the trailer. By completely stopping and turning the wheel the other way, you don't lose any travel distance while making the transition from steering wheel left to steering wheel right...or vice versa. It also makes the trailer "react" quicker to the change of direction. It will be a learning experience for sure, but it's going to be a really nice trailer so I'm glad I did it.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #19
Tbos

Can I still hang out here......

Congrats on the new 5th wheel. GD makes some real nice rigs. Maybe you can find someone in your area that will buy that trailer port. The hardest thing for me was getting used to the way it backs compared to a bumper pull. Your dually will be nice and stable with the TH behind you. Have fun and post pictures when you pick it up. We look forward to you continuing to be an active member of the forum.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #20
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Congrats on the new 5th wheel. GD makes some real nice rigs. Maybe you can find someone in your area that will buy that trailer port. The hardest thing for me was getting used to the way it backs compared to a bumper pull. Your dually will be nice and stable with the TH behind you. Have fun and post pictures when you pick it up. We look forward to you continuing to be an active member of the forum.
Thank you sir.....I like this place a lot. I'm really hoping we can pick it up this coming weekend, but the entire midwest/east coast is socked in with 4-6" of rain between now and Sunday. I really don't feel like driving 400 miles each way, two days in a row to get it home....so probably the following weekend.

Speaking of the RV Carport, I put it on Facebook Marketplace last night and then logged into Craigslist to post it there. Before I could even get it listed on C.L. my notifications on Facebook started going off one after another. I had over 20 interested in a matter of about an hour. I sold it today....about 18 hours after I first listed it and I had a pretty solid 3 other buyers...WOW. Anyway, I guess we'll get it when we get it, and hopefully the weather will be better the following weekend.