Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Sorry about the problems with your truck. Have you got any idea what/why the failure occurred? You say you bought it with 75K on it and drove it 30K. Any idea whether there were previous issues that might help explain the failure??? Ford "should have" the maintenance history of anything that was done to the truck at any ford service center, so if there is a history of previous problems and they were repaired under warranty or at a dealership, there is a record of it by VIN. While it may not help with paying for the repairs, it may, at least give you some indication of what went wrong.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #42
labman

it is at a ford dealer now. i'll have the service adv. look that up. As far as I know, there were none. One owner (i'm #2) At this point I have no clue what caused this but my faith in the truck has been severely shaken.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #43
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
I have only owned a diesel about 2 years. bought my 6.7 powerstroke with 75K miles on it. I just got to 105K miles on my way to the SW us for some fun in the sun and climbing a long but not too steep grade the truck lost power. I made it to the top and it died. Towed to a ford dealer, we thought it was an electrical issue until the mech couldn't turn the engine. He pulled the pan and metal fragments all over. What you call a catastrophic failure. I have been in a motel for 5 nights and the truck at this time has the cab pulled and the engine being replaced. I thought these things would go 300 to 500K miles. this is going to put a dent in the savings...…...
They should go 300K to 500K easily, our 2001 Ram with 5.9 Cummins is at 314K and pulling strong.
did you do regular oil changes, Oil pressure still good. Did you have oil analyzed at an changes? This doesn't sound like a fuel system related failure.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #44
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
it is at a ford dealer now. i'll have the service adv. look that up. As far as I know, there were none. One owner (i'm #2) At this point I have no clue what caused this but my faith in the truck has been severely shaken.
What year is your Ford? Early 6.7 (11-15 I believe) has ceramic turbo bearings, those failed but not to the level you are talking about.

I have heard in my neck of the woods and in Colorado, some 6.7 have had the crank snap. Was told it was a thing with the type of dirt and a not so well positioned oil lube hole causes the crank to seize and snap. It’s just heresy, second hand info from my good friend who worked at local dodge dealer on the Cummins 6.7, and those eco diesels.

Sorry for your loss. I hope that you can manage and keep going.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:28 AM   #45
Badbart56

Some of the early build 2011 models had issues with dropped valves but a relatively small number. Of course if you're one of the unlucky winners, relatively doesn't mean much. That said, mine is an early build but I have over 180K miles so I think I'm good. I have seen some of these engines going over 600K miles though,

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:55 AM   #46
Northofu1

Sorry for your troubles labman.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:51 AM   #47
labman

it's an 11. I have not done the VIN research to determine if it's an early or late 11. Yes, I have had oil changes done every 5,000. No, never had any old oil analyzed. There were no indications on the gauges or any idiot lights. It just started dropping in power/speed and died. Extremely lucky to have escaped tragedy when we were loading the 5'er on the tow trucks hitch. Idiots on the freeway speeding by at 76 not moving over. I told my buddy who was traveling along for the ride to let my wife know I was thinking of her before I went to the traffic side if the 5'er to operate the jacks.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #48
Ken / Claudia

Until 13, the 6.7 turbos will fail under heavy load unless you fix that problem before the failure. Just like post #44 stated. That problem was fixed in 2013 with proper bearings. Spend some time on ford truck forum 6.7 engines.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #49
AbHDToyHauler

Sorry for your troubles. Nothing worse then a vehicle you don't trust. Especially when you are towing with it. Hope it all works out for you.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #50
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Until 13, the 6.7 turbos will fail under heavy load unless you fix that problem before the failure.
181K+ miles and all still original, no failures, not deleted. Towing my 17K lb. Toy Hauler and occasionally a 22K lb. bulldozer and many other various weighted trailers. I have heard they improved the turbo on later models but never heard that it WILL FAIL unless you replace it.

2010 FZ 405

Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #51
Ken / Claudia

Go to the ford truck forums about the failure. I do not blank trust u-tubes, but a few guys detail how and why it will happen. Sounds like the main reason is improper cool down. Ford learned of the problem and changed to steel bearings and no more issues. I am glad your truck has not had that problem. Myself now knowing about it will pass on a 6.7 until 2013 model year unless It has had the turbo replaced.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #52
Badbart56

Honestly, I'm more concerned about keeping water out of the fuel system than a turbo failure. Replacing the fuel system can cost as much as $12K at a Ford dealer. This is my fourth diesel truck and I'm thankful to say that I have never had any failures with any of them, be it turbos or anything else other than a water pump, alternator or other small item. And that's both Chevy and Ford. And the forums are full of folks that actually have experienced problems. Not so much folks like me, that haven't had any issues, so, yeah....it probably sounds worse than it is.

2010 FZ 405

Old 01-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Just a note from a non diesel guy that has thought seriously about a diesel truck - in fact pretty much set on it come this fall. This thread, along with a couple of others have absolutely confirmed, to me, that I don't want a diesel unless I'm pulling over 12-13k. I used to think 10k was the max for me towing non-diesel but the aggravations/costs/maintenance/additives/etc. I've read in this and other threads/forums has very much highlighted to me why I want to steer clear unless I have a large load. I like simplicity and towing without worrying about all the additives, faults and breakdowns of a diesel. I only want my truck to last 100k or less, preferably 2-4 years. At this point I don't see us with anything over 12.5k (at the most 15k which a 6.4/4.10 will pull). I think I just like hitting a 91 octane pump and going. With the size trailer I have the superior towing ability of the diesel can't begin to compensate for it's initial cost and maintenance/headaches - IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #54
travelin texans

Have had diesels as daily drivers since '05 for 300k+ miles & haven't had any significant issues that weren't warrantied or recalled. Didn't think the maintenance was any more than a gas engine just not as often. As for towing there's nothing better.
From reading forums on any brand rv, truck, boat, or car they'll be filled with the ones with problems, not many bragging up how wonder theirs is. Of the thousands of diesel trucks out there reading of the few on a forum with a problem wouldn't sway my decision to buy another one. I'm far more concerned with all the computer controlled items on vehicles nowadays than I am with the mechanics of them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Have had diesels as daily drivers since '05 for 300k+ miles & haven't had any significant issues that weren't warrantied or recalled. Didn't think the maintenance was any more than a gas engine just not as often. As for towing there's nothing better.
From reading forums on any brand rv, truck, boat, or car they'll be filled with the ones with problems, not many bragging up how wonder theirs is. Of the thousands of diesel trucks out there reading of the few on a forum with a problem wouldn't sway my decision to buy another one. I'm far more concerned with all the computer controlled items on vehicles nowadays than I am with the mechanics of them.

Agreed....to a point. I really do like, and want, the towing power of a diesel. I also realize that the unhappy tend to taint the feedback one gets, but, just reading here and other places, I have no time nor desire to carry boxes of DEF, fuel additives, worry about "cold" weather and whether to add something or change types of fuel....then find them??

I know, for a "diesel person" that probably comes 2nd nature...but not to me. I want the torque and do nothing more than I do now.....I don't think I've seen that that's possible anywhere I've researched. I'm not worried about mileage, longevity or anything else....just the torque (pulling ability), the hassle of taking care of the diesel and if it is worth the premium you pay for it in dollars, time and mtce items - I'll get rid of it in less than 100k as well.

My comments are not meant to start a "diesel vs gas" debate; I understand the merits and detriments of both. Just trying to point out the detractors of a diesel as seen from a non diesel person as illustrated by this thread - while at the same time trying to rationalize buying one. Thanks to everyone for sharing their insights.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #56
cookinwitdiesel

If it helps sourdough, I am the thread OP and based on what I have heard here and chatting with diesel owners I know in real life, I plan to pretty much maintain my truck the same way I would a regular car. Don't let it sit idle too long, 5k mile oil changes and other regular scheduled maintenance done at the dealer, put the right fuel in it.

My dad has had a diesel truck as well as large farm machines for over a decade in Wyoming where they get wide temperature swings (-25 winters to +100 summers) - when I asked him about maintenance he simply said "don't put gas in it" lol. Pretty sure there is a very healthy amount of people over thinking stuff and/or babying their trucks because that is their hobby and what they like to do (which isn't wrong, I am the same way about my computers/servers/network at home). Don't let the internet talk you out of getting a diesel. If they were that problematic, we would not all be buying them (let alone the incredibly wider usage in the commercial world).

Yes it will pull better, yes it will cost more up front. Decide which one is more important to you and go from there
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #57
Badbart56

I've seen several references to, "Don't let it sit idle too long" when talking about diesels. Where did you get this concern from? You realize that many pieces of farm equipment, construction equipment, military trucks as well as your/my daily drivers can and do sit for months and sometimes years with no ill effects. The only issue I can think of that may be a problem is if algae grows in the fuel tanks but in all my life around farm equipment and trucks I have never seen that occur and I live in the hot, humid south.

And as far as the extra maintenance, I guess I just don't give it any thought. I've been driving diesels for so long, changing fuel filters every 15K miles and adding some DEF every 3000-5000 miles just comes second nature. I don't add any additives so that's not a worry. I added an extra set of fuel filters just for added protection but all in all, it's a small price to pay for the extra 400-500 ft/lbs of torque.

The last gas powered truck I had was a 1989 Chevy 2500 with a 5 speed. I used it to pull farm equipment on a gooseneck trailer. Empty, it ran like a hot-rod. But that truck was so under-torqued I was afraid I was going to blow it up revving 5000-6000 rpm's pulling 8000-9000 lbs. I traded it for a 1998 Chevy 6.5 diesel and found that it could do the same job at under 3000 rpm. I gave that truck to my brother years ago and he still uses it on the farm. It has well over 300K miles on it.

I'm not here to try to convince anyone to buy a diesel, but having had both I really don't understand why you wouldn't want one if you can afford it.

2010 FZ 405

Old 01-25-2019, 05:37 AM   #58
cookinwitdiesel

The idle comment actually was more for battery and tire health in my mind. Although apparently water in the fuel tank can be a thing?

I add stabilizer to my lawn mower gas as that can take 6 months to go through 10 gallons I bought, never bothered doing anything of the sort with vehicles though as they never take that long or anywhere close to turn over a tank.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #59
rhagfo

Well the old 5.9, I changed the oil once a year or 10,000 miles, usually made the 10,000 miles, fuel filter 15,000 miles. 3 gallons of Dino oil and filter cost less than $50, fuel filter $35 both filters from local Cummins NW parts house.
Now the 2016 is under warranty, I may need to change oil once every six months so likely will also use dino oil so $50 per change, the fuel filters are a bit more at about $100 for both every 15K miles. The other cost is the Aisin is scheduled for a fluid change at 30K miles , and almost there. Needs 8qt for the change looking at the internet prices range from $20 to $4.99 a qt. so likely about $60 with shipping for the fluid.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:36 AM   #60
labman

fyi, it is an early 11......now a 2011/19