Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
skidooxman

Why are same items backwards on so many RVs

So can anyone tell me why so many Fuzion toyhaulers have the fuel tank fills reversed and the black water flush valves backwards? I owned 2 so far and both were installed wrong. Also the fuel tanks, the front tank is the generator and rear is aux correct? Bc I filled my front tank and the gauge inside the trailer went up.
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Pull Toy

With all candor, and no disrespect meant.......

The majority of Trailers, RVs, Custom Vans, Custom P.U. Trucks, Custom"Big Truck" sleepers, Custom anything... are Manufactured/Upgrades in Indiana, by the "Dutch", or "Amish" (aka Pennsylvania Dutch). A drive through eastern Indiana on I-80, or 76, all you see are acres and acres of vans, campers, and PU's ready to ship, or waiting for treatment. They do absolutely beautifully precise woodwork, and generally good overall craftsmanship.

However,because of a compromise between their religious tenets and state law. they only have to attend public school to the 8th grade level, There is an obvious deficit issue here between literacy and the reality of a "High
Tech" unit, and the manufacturer's don't fill the gap with "QUALITY QC". They depend on the "Dealer" to catch the problems. LOL $$$

Having spent hundreds of hours dealing with the "PA Dutch" and "Amish/ Mennonites" while in the Horse/Harness/Hay/Carriage business, I made many friends who were excellent businessmen, true craftsmen, but functionally illiterate, as far as labels, etc.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I am not familiar with the educational system in eastern Indiana but I would think that anyone with a Grade 8 education should be able to read the words "Black Tank" and "Gray Tank" - two labels applied to side of an RV. If these employees are such good and precise craftsmen, then it follows that they should be able to apply a sticker that reads "Gray Tank" in the right place. This is not rocket science and doesn't require a high school diploma to do what seems like a very simple task.

While there may some "high tech" items in today's RV, putting a sticker or label "here", doesn't require a degree in engineering. We're not buying a fine piece of hand-crafted furniture. What's so hard about putting a label in the right place?

If most of these employees are, as you say, "functionally illiterate" what does that say about the education system in that area? If they can't read simple words like "black", "gray", "front" and "rear" by the time they reach Grade 8 then something is seriously wrong with the school system. But that could be another story and one not meant for this forum.

So who's at fault here for "having so many items backwards"? The functionally illiterate employees who can't read simple labels? The employer for hiring workers who can't read or write? The employer for turning a blind eye to all the mislabeling that folks are talking about and passing on these glitches to the dealer to catch?

I'm also not sure whether this "backwardness" is as widespread as people make it out to be. Yes, there have been a number of members whose RV's have had items that have been mislabeled. Is this happening all the time, some of the time, or hardly at all? Is the quality control that bad?

Interesting discussion.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
skidooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I am not familiar with the educational system in eastern Indiana but I would think that anyone with a Grade 8 education should be able to read the words "Black Tank" and "Gray Tank" - two labels applied to side of an RV. If these employees are such good and precise craftsmen, then it follows that they should be able to apply a sticker that reads "Gray Tank" in the right place. This is not rocket science and doesn't require a high school diploma to do what seems like a very simple task.

While there may some "high tech" items in today's RV, putting a sticker or label "here", doesn't require a degree in engineering. We're not buying a fine piece of hand-crafted furniture. What's so hard about putting a label in the right place?

If most of these employees are, as you say, "functionally illiterate" what does that say about the education system in that area? If they can't read simple words like "black", "gray", "front" and "rear" by the time they reach Grade 8 then something is seriously wrong with the school system. But that could be another story and one not meant for this forum.

So who's at fault here for "having so many items backwards"? The functionally illiterate employees who can't read simple labels? The employer for hiring workers who can't read or write? The employer for turning a blind eye to all the mislabeling that folks are talking about and passing on these glitches to the dealer to catch?

I'm also not sure whether this "backwardness" is as widespread as people make it out to be. Yes, there have been a number of members whose RV's have had items that have been mislabeled. Is this happening all the time, some of the time, or hardly at all? Is the quality control that bad?

Interesting discussion.

Well in their defense the handle were labeled correctly, it was the valve itself, I meant its a 50/50 chance to get it right lol. I live on the PA line, all Mennonites, so I have seen their work, and they actually welded some stuff for me. The gas tank issue was the labels. I need to order new labels from keystone, at least all the little stuff I am fixing myself.
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
shmthaus

I can only speak for myself, but I am on my second RV (first was a TT and second is a TH). Both trailers had the black / gray labels backwards. Fortunately, I added a clear dump extension tube after my first dump experience in my TT.

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
shmthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
rbev2308

Been there and done that. First time I pulled the gray water valve after testing my water pump upon delivery the following morning after camping near the dealer overnight, I got the surprise...I then checked the black water flush and the monitor to confirm my theory..The label was simply incorrect so I swapped the labels and moved on. Sure seems alot of these 50/50 guesses are wrong!!! Just kidding..I honestly think that stuff should be QA'd and caught before it leaves the plant and the dealer certainly should catch on the PDI. I did not catch since the dealership had the rig in the front for the walk thru and stated it all checked out and told me to camp overnight across the street and let me know of any issues. This one was easily fixed by myself and I did vent a little.
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooxman View Post
Also the fuel tanks, the front tank is the generator and rear is aux correct? Bc I filled my front tank and the gauge inside the trailer went up.
Mine is actually the opposite. Aux in front. Gen in rear. They were labeled correctly.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote