Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #41
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Curious, how many of the newer diesels have you owned recently?
If at least 1 your opinions could be fact!
If none then we know where the "myths" start!
I will tell my son's factual story on an '05 3500 Ram Mega cab 4x4 with 180k on the odometer. He paid $24k which was about $5k under book at the time, drove it for another 40-50k, had the engine rebuilt for $9k then some knucklehead ran him off the road, insurance totalled the truck & paid him almost $39k, so much for that huge depreciation on a used diesel.
I own a 2006 F350 6.0L work truck. It was cheap. I looked forever for a V10 in my somewhat cheapo price range and there just are not many out there. I had a line on a 2012 6.2 gasser and it was sold before I could move on it. Here in Texas, there are few gas Super Duty trucks and diesels seem to make up about 95 percent of the available market. If you are talking Fords, the type of diesel makes a HUGE price difference. The 7.3 is still king and you can see those in decent shape going $15-20K all over with reasonable mileage (<200K). The 6.0L has a somewhat less stellar rep and the 2006-7 models bring the higher prices. The 6.4L is generally shunned. The 6.7L is fairly well thought of and it is difficult to find one cheap. I paid a shade over $7K for mine as it is a work truck and had 135K miles and rubber floors and bench seats and no power windows or door locks. Suited me fine and after a little injection of money for fixes, I can probably sell it for a bit more than I paid. I see similar going $10-12K. The higher end models like the Lariat don't seem to bring a whole bunch more than the strippo XL. Duallies bring a bit more in Texas because every redneck like me wants to own one because they look cool. Trucks seldom turn into wise financial investments be they gas or diesel.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #42
Ibdagriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I have said that combo was the best for a while now. Interesting to find someone who thinks the same.

Just went with a 2019 Ram 3500 cummins with the Aisin though. I am hoping it rivals the Allison.
I'm always interested in different setups and found a guy on YouTube named Westin who bought a 2010 Lariat 1 ton SRW and swapped out the dead diesel engine for a Cummins 5.9. Added in a kit to bump up the ponies a bit and was all in for about $12k. Auction truck but it looked really nice.

We have a 2013 V-8 5.0 L Ford F-150 CCSB Lariat the wife drives as her vehicle of choice and an 2011 V-8 6.2L gas F-250 Lariat CCLB FX4 for towing our 9k TT. The 250 gets about 8 mpg towing at 65 and 14-15 empty at the same speed.

Bought the gasser as I work on my vehicles and don't know anything about diesel setups and at 61, wasn't really looking to the learning curve. LoL. Bought the V-8 F-150 as I prefer them to learning about turbos and all that brings with it.

Just my preference.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #43
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Guess I am a truck idiot; wish I were clever enough to have paid attention to all options on the Ford F150 but I can't recall most except MSRP. My point was, I was stunned by the $72K MSRP. I bought a new 2013 F150 with base V6 and spent under $18K. It got good gas mileage but couldn't tow much. I had a truck camper on it and it wasn't happy. My wife wasn't happy with the sit on the toilet to take a shower bathroom. Truck and camper went. Sounds like you are a tad sensitive to anyone blowing smoke at your Ecobooster. Sorry, not the intention of my original post. And I get over 10 mpg dragging my Cougar 5ver with my F350 6.0L diesel pig.
No, I'm sensitive to misinformation being spread, and remarking like $72,000 is the going rate, as well as 5-6 mpg.

Other than that, I'm a fan of all trucks.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #44
BulletOwner1

Just for more useless data: I've got a 2012 F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost. 89000 miles. Love it. Towed a number of different trailers. Currently a 24' Cougar, 6600 unloaded. MPG 9-10. List was 47K but it was a new 12 in early 13 so greatly discounted. When I get another it will be another 3.5.

Side note: It's kind of amazing and a little irritating that whenever there is a 1/2 ton tow vehicle discussion the 3/4, 1 ton crowd seem to come out of the woodwork and start hammering on how great they are. I get it, they can tow more and have diesel available (I know, they're in 1/2 tons now). It's a half ton discussion, not a comparison. Ok, I'm done........ Sorry for the rant.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #45
skmct

The big three all must feel that deisel has some advantages some where or they would not have put so much development money into there 1/2 ton deisel truck programs .
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #46
skmct

I also have to say this my wife has a ford edge 2.0 EcoBoost. When AI look under the hood I see a lot of my duramax . Like a turbo and direct injection. Some engine mods to increase compression and fuel delivery changes to increase injector pressure it might run on oil����
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #47
cruisegrandma

[SIZE="2"]My truck's better than your truck, my truck's better than yours. My truck's better cause it pulls better, my truck's better than yours!

I'm like many others here. I have my favorite, but that doesn't mean the others are poor choices. By the way, I'm the DW and I chose the color! LOL! I love to drive it and I love to tow with it. What fun![/SIZE]
Passport 23RB
No longer virgin trailer and truck owners... BUT LOOK OUT ANYWAYS!!!
Harleysville, PA
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #48
thiswebs4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Don't tell the DW, but I was shopping for a Ram 3500 with the Aisin tranny and 1,000 pounds of torque. A reasonably equipped version can be had for under $60k. Not to worry since she hid all the ammo for the "Buckzooka"
Yea, I got a 2018 Dodge Ram Diesel 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually with Aisin Tranny, Max Payload 5610.00LBS Max Towing 24940.0LB, 33,800 LB, 385 hp, 930 lb-ft. This is a beast, up the mountain passes hauling 19k no problem.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #49
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiswebs4u View Post
Yea, I got a 2018 Dodge Ram Diesel 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually with Aisin Tranny, Max Payload 5610.00LBS Max Towing 24940.0LB, 33,800 LB, 385 hp, 930 lb-ft. This is a beast, up the mountain passes hauling 19k no problem.
Yeah yeah... but my 2006 Ford F350XL SRW LB 6.0L cost me about a 1/10 of what a nice Ram costs... My favorite truck is a CHEAP ONE. I had a 96 F250 with 7.5L automatic and it could pull my 5ver easily... paid $1700 for it (and it looked like it) but I had a bug up my tail to get a diesel. I can pull 275000 lbs down hill too! Started this thread to marvel at the insane MSRP on a Ford F150 and not get anyone's dander up in truck envy. I would be driving one of those Ram one tons if I could afford it but I am just a poor ol' redneck who has to make due. Plus I ain't gotta clean any carpet cuz my truck ain't got any. And why waste water (I am going green) on washing a work truck?
Old 08-30-2019, 06:11 PM   #50
LERD

Bought my 2013 F-150 3 years ago. Ecoboost with the 3.55 and towing package. Thought I was going to tow TT. Wife found a small 5th wheel she loved, and we keep it light enough for us to pull safely. When we retired and load it down more, we'll get a 3/4 or better. Till then, this truck pulls 8500 lbs beautifully. Our last trip from Ohio to Hilton Head we averaged 7.5 in the mountains and around 9 on the flatter stretches. BTW, no problems up the hills, or down. This truck will pull much faster than I care to pull at. 63-65 is just fine with me.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:40 AM   #51
NH_Bulldog

Picked up our 2015 3.5L EB with 30k miles for $24k. Tows our Passport (scaled at 6,518 lbs loaded with 718 lbs TW). We get between 9-11 mpg and it has power to spare. I have to set the cruise at 65 mph otherwise I look down and find myself going 75. I was real skeptical on the EB but that 22 mpg when not towing is real nice!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #52
Sambucus

NH_Bulldog, how do you like this trailer? I have a new Silverado and am in the process of realizing the larger trailers I was looking at are too big (2950BH). This one looks like it might fit my truck well (5.3L with 355 HP, 8 speed w/ Tow package)

Otherwise, hope things are well in the only Henniker on earth. (I am in Concord)
Sambucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #53
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free88 View Post
Today, 87 ethanol is 2.28/gal and diesel is 2.99/gal in my neck of the woods. And thats a pretty typical spread for most of the year. Yes, the diesel will get slightly better MPG's, but you wont make up that difference in the cost of the fuel. At best, its even. Its not, though, when you factor in the loss of MPG during regens. Also, you can use 89 or 90 rec fuel in the gasser and that MPG advantage mostly goes away. Sometimes it actually makes sense to use rec fuel, sometimes not. The price around here is usually about 10 cents more for 89 or 90 rec vs diesel. Thats not the case everywhere. And, we are ignoring DEF costs.

It is a myth that diesel 3/4-tons and 1-tons retain a higher percentage depreciation vs their gas counterparts. The depreciation percentage is nearly identical. You will get some of your diesel adder costs when you trade it in or sell it privately, just like you will for most of the other options you paid for. It will not be the full value. Dollar for dollar, you lose more the more expensive the truck was to begin with for at least three main reasons. Finance cost being one of them. Larger loans and for longer finance periods costs you more interest. More expensive truck, more expensive insurance. If you bought a $100k and a $50k truck and 5 years down the line you will get 50% of what you paid, well, for truck one you lost $50k and truck two you lost $25k. Its simple math, and its pretty hard to argue against. But, hey, whatever.

Again, I have nothing against (big) diesels. Stump pulling marvels of modern technology, I says. But to argue that diesel's are cheaper than gas in 3/4-tons and 1-tons is absurd. That math will never agree with you, simple as that. The small diesels, such as we are starting to see in half-tons and mid-size, is a whole other ball game. Those can actually be cheaper to own than their gas counterparts.

'Round here, the gas 3/4-tons and 1-tons are what flies off the lots. It is very difficult to find one with that just-right equipment level, and you usually have to either drive hundreds of miles to get it or you beg the dealer to do an inventory swap for you. As soon as they come in they are sold within days. Similar trucks but with the diesel? "We have every color, trim level, 4WD, 2WD, basically every major configuration you want if you went diesel." And so does the other dealer 10 miles away, and the one 20 miles away, and so on. You want gas, well, there is this one dealer 250 miles away that can actually keep in stock gassers that are not work trucks for longer than a week...
I bought a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 brand new.. put 17K miles on it on a year and a 1/2.. I replaced it with a 2018 Ram 3500 diesel of the same configuration.. In almost 15K miles I think I have bough 2 gallons of def in addition to the full tank it was delivered with..Next to nothing on cost.
I have had one oil change. ready for the second one, but truck calls for 15K mile oil changes so in theory I could have been 1 oil change to 3 on the 6.4
I get about 3.5 more MPG towing my 10K trailer, but Now I tow a 13K fifth wheel. I tow that and get the same mileage I did with the 2500 6.4 towing 8K 27 footer camper. Empty im averaging about 4 more MPG in hilly terrain, about 2.5 more miles to the gallon on flat terrain where the gasser didnt have to work as hard. At this point in ownership, I'm actually slightly ahead in ownership with the diesel over a gas v8 version of the same exact truck.
I just dont see all this added cost stuff, expensive ownership mumbo jumbo..
Fuel filters are cheap and easy to change, def is nothing, differentials are the same in both variations, transmission service is about the same (the aisin is more frequent and exensive)With the EB I am using my brakes while towing a fraction as hard as I did on the gasser so they should really save me money there. So really other than a few more cents on the dollar which varies by location, and mostly is offset by additional milegae and at times of the year when fuel prices are low I actually save money on diesel with the mileage difference. I have experienced zero added cost of onwership and actually saved money with the diesel purchase... I dunno maybe Im odd?
I am noting that I am not countering in the additional up front cost of the diesel option, as that is not an ownership thing, but a purchase thing.
You cannot count the purcahse price because you are paying apremium price for premium benefits. If you wer paying additional cost for the diesel and not getting any additional rewards, then yea you could complain.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #54
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I bought a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 brand new.. put 17K miles on it on a year and a 1/2.. I replaced it with a 2018 Ram 3500 diesel of the same configuration.. In almost 15K miles I think I have bough 2 gallons of def in addition to the full tank it was delivered with..Next to nothing on cost.
I have had one oil change. ready for the second one, but truck calls for 15K mile oil changes so in theory I could have been 1 oil change to 3 on the 6.4
I get about 3.5 more MPG towing my 10K trailer, but Now I tow a 13K fifth wheel. I tow that and get the same mileage I did with the 2500 6.4 towing 8K 27 footer camper. Empty im averaging about 4 more MPG in hilly terrain, about 2.5 more miles to the gallon on flat terrain where the gasser didnt have to work as hard. At this point in ownership, I'm actually slightly ahead in ownership with the diesel over a gas v8 version of the same exact truck.
Fuel filters are cheap and easy to change, def is nothing, differentials are the same in both variations, transmission service is about the same (the aisin is more frequent and exensive)With the EB I am using my brakes while towing a fraction as hard as I did on the gasser so they should really save me money there. So really other than a few more cents on the dollar which varies by location, and mostly is offset by additional milegae and at times of the year when fuel prices are low I actually save money on diesel with the mileage difference. I have experienced zero added cost of onwership and actually saved money with the diesel purchase... I dunno maybe Im odd?
I am noting that I am not countering in the additional up front cost of the diesel option, as that is not an ownership thing, but a purchase thing.
You cannot count the purcahse price because you are paying apremium price for premium benefits. If you wer paying additional cost for the diesel and not getting any additional rewards, then yea you could complain.
Agree 100%

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #55
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Different brand of truck with the same results!
So also agree 100%.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #56
sourdough
Site Team

Having followed this thread now for 55 posts I'm amazed at how a comment by George on a 1/2 ton comparison "shoot out" and the astronomical costs of new trucks morphs into a thread about diesel vs gas??? At least the original post did reference "V8" engines and a V6 EcoBoost…… Anybody read that post...??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #57
wiredgeorge

Geesh! My turck is bigger than your trukc! bwhahaha I can go up the hill pulling my trailer and that is about all that matters. BTW: The Ford F150 wins in about every category but the Ram 1/2 ton takes overall honors by a hair and the Chevy is a distant 3rd in the Consumer Reports comparison of the half tons. My main gripe about almost all the trucks out there is that they try to make them look too macho and they come off as a tad tacky. Don't need any hood scoop on a truck unless it is some sort of racer! Honestly, if I had the money, I would be driving the Rockin' Y Ram 1 ton dually on Yellowstone. Geesh, just what a guy needs except it costs more then we paid for our house a number of years ago. My sister has a new 3/4 ton RED Ram (I think it is 2018?) and it has more gee gaws than you can imagine. Sweet truck but out of my price point range.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #58
{tpc}

So I wrote up a long post yesterday and I got kicked off the forum before I could post it and it was gone.

So the condensed version. I believe that any new/newer truck should get 9-10 mpg towing, whether it be 5000 lbs or 6500 lbs. 6500 lbs just doesn't seem that that much load to me. If my truck was getting 5-6 mpg I would be concerned.

My f150 2.7 pulls my 5k trailer (weighed) great. I average around 10 mpg towing but have seen as high as 12 under the right conditions.

Any of these newer trucks, gm or ford can cost upwards of 72k based on how they are equipped. My old tahoe msrp was 45k and when i saw a new one at the auto show similarly equipped its sticker was 82k. My f150 msrp was 52k. The prices on these things are outrageous across the board imo. The tech has advanced and they perform a lot better but the cost has surpassed that imo.

The tahoe that I had was loaded ltz 2007. The one I saw was loaded ltz 2016. Same 5.3 engine with cyl deactivation, albeit probably upgraded some as the early ones had some issues, but essentially the same thing.

Fwiw, I didn't even look at the fords until someone on this forum suggested it, and I'm glad I did. I am hoping the aluminum body means no rust, but it probably means something else we don't know about yet. I may or may not stick with it, but as far as price goes, GM couldn't even get me close to where I needed to be for features and price point, and thats with GM employee discount. Though I did use Ford employee discount.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:32 AM   #59
wiredgeorge

Didn't know they made a 2.7L Ecoboost. Interesting. Looked up a road test for a 2018 and the author liked the truck a lot. Unfortunately they seemed to ignore towing and talked about 0-60 times a lot. Not sure I ever had a truck where that was much of interest to me. No talk of towing or towing options which tells me Car & Driver ain't where I would want to check out working trucks.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...w-test-review/
Old 09-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #60
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Having followed this thread now for 55 posts I'm amazed at how a comment by George on a 1/2 ton comparison "shoot out" and the astronomical costs of new trucks morphs into a thread about diesel vs gas??? At least the original post did reference "V8" engines and a V6 EcoBoost…… Anybody read that post...??
Im not sure why you would be amazed. How many different truck threads have you read over the years. It seems to be par for the course to me. Most guys are very opinionated about their trucks. But to be clear it was a diesel bashing post by free88 who started the gas/diesel debate. Just saying, the diesel guys stayed out of it prior to that and then felt the need to contradict his statements. People say don't discuss religion or politics in mixed company buy I'd say you have to include pick up trucks in that group too!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote