Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #21
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
Steveo- When saying the black tank flow vacuum/breaker are prone to leaking, does that mean they should be replaced after so many years? Do they eventually fail or if they don't leak now, they won't leak because it's poor installation that causes them to leak?
Thanks!
-Andy
It's basically something like this, and there's a spring loaded check valve on the outlet also. So when water comes in it pushes the float or a flapper up to seal the vent on top and then water flows through the check valve into the tank. When you shutoff the water or lose pressure the check valve will close to prevent backflow and the float drops and let's air into the top to break the vacuum and stop a siphon from forming. So it can leak from the fittings or the plug or flapper gets stuck or gets some debris stuck in it and then when you turn the water on it sprays out the top of the valve. They're also prone to freeze and break if not winterized.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #22
ajk170

Steveo- wow, seems like a junky design. Wouldn't a simple check valve serve the same purpose- something to keep a siphon from forming? Seems like it could be replaced with a simple Pex Check valve (see attached link) and eliminate the drama. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But maybe I'm missing something important that this OEM valve does that a simple check valve will not do.
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:52 AM   #23
Andymil

If a check valve fails, waste could be siphoned out of the tank. Not likely, but possible. The anti siphon/air admittance valve breaks the siphon while acting as a check valve. Neither one is fool proof. If the air admittance valve leaks, it’s probably only when using the tank flush.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #24
Blueswede

I simply removed the one in my trailer......it has worked fine ever since.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #25
Gord

We also had a problem with our 2015 Bullet 210RUDWE black tank flush line. It initially worked great. When I winterized the trailer the first time I used my compressor to blow out the lines including the flush line. The next year when we hit the road the flush line would not work at all. Changed out the anti siphon valve, made sure it was in the right way, still no go. Got a flusher that would go down through the toilet and thoroughly rinsed the tank out. Finally it started working again although it doesn't sound like it is spinning. Not really sure what happened in the tank, just happy that it seems to be doing something again.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #26
Local150

I had the same problem and it went all over the bathroom floor.
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #27
Daryles

Maybe they installed it in the grey tank by mistake?
Any water come out of them with the gate valve open and you flushing at the rinse port?
Old 08-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #28
goodellj

I have a 2012 Montana 3150RL and had very low flow through my black tank flush. I changed the valve and did not get better flow. So I took a gallon of white vinegar and hand-pumped it through the black tank flush line using a Valterra winterizing hand pump. I pumped a quart, waited 30 minutes, then repeated a few times. On the third quart I felt something give and there much less resistance and it became much easier to pump.

When I tried it again with the hose I got pretty good flow. We have spent 5 winters in Arizona and Texas so I suspected the problem was calcium buildup due to hard water.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #29
beeje

First off, Get rid of the government mandated valve before you camper is flooded and destroyed. Simply plumb the 2 lines together. The chances of contaminating the water supply are nil to nun.

If it was installed backwards, no water should flow at all.
If water is flowing like you say and not exiting through the waste drain, where is it going ?
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #30
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
First off, Get rid of the government mandated valve before you camper is flooded and destroyed. Simply plumb the 2 lines together. The chances of contaminating the water supply are nil to nun.

If it was installed backwards, no water should flow at all.
If water is flowing like you say and not exiting through the waste drain, where is it going ?
I suspect the op's flush line was just pressurized and not flowing. He thought flow was there do to the leaking fitting but nothing coming out the drain so there is no water going in the tank. Likely the check valve is backwards or defective. I would just remove it.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #31
Tommysmith

I had to reverse the 2 lines attached, on my 2019 Cougar to make it work.
Tommysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #32
Ksupaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmith View Post
I had to reverse the 2 lines attached, on my 2019 Cougar to make it work.
Curious where the valve was located on your Cougar Tommy?
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #33
River Duck

I had to reverse the lines on our 2019 Laredo as well.
The backflow preventer is in the cabinet below the bathroom sink on our model
River Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #34
Flynglfr

I had the same issue with my 2012 Laredo 5th wheel. Not sure where the leak was and service folks couldn't find it either however, The water was leaking out underneath the trailer and was leaking into the insulation causing a huge problem. The shop couldn't find a leak but replaced the insulation...........I quit using the black water clean out and use other methods to rinse tank.
Flynglfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #35
itat

I agree that its probably as simple as switching the black plastic vacuum breaker check valve. Mine leaked on the 4th trip so I'd advise replacing it with a brass valve.

With all due respect to those who are advising the OP to just remove it (and replace it with a 90 degree bend), your advise is a violation of all plumbing codes. There is actually a real chance that black tank contents could flow backwards if the vacuum break check valve is not working and then contaminate the water supply source. Then, potentially, you and all your neighbors in the park become ill. You'd be right in saying its not common, but it is common enough to be required by code. All it takes is a break in the park's water main and you'll have a vacuum in the water pipes as water flows out the broken main. I've been at a KOA where the water main broke while we were there.

There are couple alternatives to the black plastic junk:
1) an inexpensive external hose bib vacuum breaker installed at the flusher port
2) Watts LF288A.

Please DO NOT go without something in place.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #36
Scotthi

JMeadows - can you please tell me where to find black water flush check valve on 30rl

Where is the black water flush check valve on a Cougar 30rls, I believe mine is in backwards, I am not getting any water flush to my black tank.
Scotthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #37
JMeadows

It's under the bathroom sink, look up high
JMeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #38
Scotthi

Thanks - found it!
Scotthi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank