Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
WJQ

Mounting a Large Solar Panel on the Roof

There are many folks considering adding a solar panel to their trailer so maybe this post will help others as well as me.

I am planning on installing a 280 W solar system charger this fall. I will add an inverter later. I have a 2018 Cougar Half Ton. I know about most of the electrical challenges since I have installed a solar system on a previous motorhome I owned. I also installed the same size panel on it in the same manner. The unknown is the Keystone roof similar enough to the Bounder?

The first step will be to fasten the panel to the roof. I called Keystone to get info on roof material and stud locations. No response from the person I spoke with so I hope there are bloggers here who have worked on a Keystone roof.

My SolarWorld panel is about 40" wide by 66" long. The panel weighs about 40 lbs. I am considering using a strip of 1.5 inch aluminum angle the same length as the panel. I will connect the angle to the sides of the solar panel with small machine bolts with fiber lock nuts. Then, to fasten the angle to the roof, I am think of using number 12 sheet metal screws placed about every 8 to 10 inches apart into the roofing material. I will use copious quantities of Dicor sealant below and above the aluminum angle. I presume the Keystone Cougar roof is plywood but I really do not know.

So, if there are experienced bloggers out there who have mounted a panel to their roof, you ideas will be appreciated. If you have done it completely differently than I am contemplating, your approach is also appreciated.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
Steveo57

I've installed two panels on my 2018 22RBS. The roof is 3/8 or 1/2" OSB. My panels are mounted with a bracket on each corner using two wood screws. I just put a piece of butyl tape under the bracket and then dicor over it all.

The one picture is of the install on the roof. The other shows the underside of the roof.

I would minimize the number of holes in the roof and wouldn't run a solid piece along the edges or it will trap all kinds of gunk under the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190406_160455.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	23262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190404_171734.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	23263  
Steveo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
heading out

Go lithium..................none else is worth the money.
heading out is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, roof, solar