Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 03:28 AM   #21
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredusps69 View Post
I think some of the TT run the ac with cable like a phone jack. If you want to use normal thermostat wire and not pull all new way not use the old style wire to modular plug adaptor. You can hide it some place close and skip pulling the whole run to the roof. R45j plug to bell wire. I think i have the correct number.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. The existing wiring is one wire (not counting ground and +12VDC) and the thermostat I want to use needs at least 4 plus ground + 12VDC. One for heat, one for A/C, one for fan, one for emergency heat (maybe).
If you are suggesting pulling an RJ45 cable with appropriate plugs and wiring at each end versus pulling half a dozen very small wires (might be in a cable) in a single pull that might be a good idea, but it's a no-brainer either way. I will run the wire through the cold air ceiling ducts and bring it down the central service space that is directly under the A/C duct.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #22
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The large styrofoam cover should be held on by 4 or 5 small screws (5/16” I think). Once the cover is removed you should see the control box.
No screws, it's just a friction fit. The control box is NOT the one I saw in an earlier post that was clearly labelled with standard HVAC terminals. It seems obvious to me that this control box is capable of much more than what it is currently doing. I have heard there is another box you can get that converts the Dometic to ????. I need to start bookmarking stuff like that. Here is a picture of what my control box might look like, I didn't take mine apart to get details as it was covered in foam that looked glued on. I can easily find several models of the Dometic control box, some with very sophisticated controls like gen start. Here is a link on amazon where you can see one but this one does NOT have standard HVAC terminals.
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-31092...7ZJJWMGG86H9A6
Old 08-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #23
sonofcy

FYI, here is a good reference on HVAC wiring and standard terminal lettering and even wire colour. It's not standard as in legally, just convention,. but the terminals are industry standard labels.
https://xtronics.com/wiki/Thermostat...nd_wiring.html

and here is picture of the thermostat I want to install. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 24VAC transformer inside the control box as there is 115VAC going into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-17 16.41.20 store.google.com b7d11cb5fce4.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	23275  

Tags
dometic, upgrade