Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
WestCoastWanderer

Bryce Canyon Trip Testimonial

Back from two weeks of travel to/from southern Utah. Spent time in and around Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Page AZ, Grand Staircase Escalante NM, and Great Basin NP. It was a WONDERFUL trip. I want to thank all of the folks on this site for providing valuable information that went far in my preparation for the trip, and the resulting performance of my TT and TV. Everything worked and worked well, and I had the knowledge necessary to keep it so. This site is the best!

At Ruby's Inn, I met a gentleman with a brand new Cougar fiver. He was not a happy camper since his plumbing was doing a meltdown. I referred him to this forum. I hope he finds it. Thanks to the advice and help from here, my 21RBSWE has been everything I hoped it would be. Great vacation!

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_ab5.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	22661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1087.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	22662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1183.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	22663   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9bb.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	22664  
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for the report and pictures! Those areas are some of the most beautiful places I've ever been and looks like you may have been somewhere I've not been...and need to go! Where were each of the pics taken if you don't mind sharing?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
CampNBrew2

We did the same trip years ago in our TH, and it was one of the best trips we've ever taken. Carson pass, June lakes/Mammoth, Barstow, Death Valley, Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Escalante, and Great Basin.
Glad to hear everything worked great for you and no issues! Its nice to be armed with the knowledge to deal with the little things that pop up that can sour a trip. Good for you for sharing the wealth with a fellow camper.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
Canonman

You found it!! Antelope Canyon. One of the best trips ever in my opinion and got the pictures to prove it.
One of the things I like most about the RV lifestyle is sharing with others the beauty of our Great Country. Thanks for the photos and the trip report. Well Done!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_4201 - Version 3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	22669  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
WestCoastWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thanks for the report and pictures! Those areas are some of the most beautiful places I've ever been and looks like you may have been somewhere I've not been...and need to go! Where were each of the pics taken if you don't mind sharing?
The four pictures I posted were of 1.) Antelope Canyon (outside Page AZ), 2.) The "Cockscomb" on Cottonwood Canyon Road, a dirt/gravel road that links Utah 12 with US 89, 3.) "Hell's Backbone" about 20 miles of dirt/gravel road outside Escalante, UT in the Dixie National Forest, and 4.) some Hoodoos in Bryce Canyon NP.

I'll post a trip synopsis for those interested soon. Here's a few more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_a8b.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	22679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	22680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1243.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	22681   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9cf.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	22682  
Old 07-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Hblick48

We plan on taking that trip next year. Can anyone share the RV parks to stay at, and how long at each?
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Canonman

Here's what I'd suggest. If you're coming from the west, Zion NP would be the first stop after Vegas. If you can get a reservation, Watchman campground in the park is the best. If not Zion Canyon RV park is just outside the park. From there, to Bryce Canyon. Ruby's is the best option for a rig your size. There are a couple of others close by. One option might be Kodachrome Basin State Park. Not too far away but no crowds. From Bryce I'd head to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The best option is the campground in the park. North Rim is really pretty and nowhere near as crowded as the South Rim. After Grand Canyon it's a short drive to Page, AZ. Great opportunities to photograph both Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons as well as Lake Powell. The Lake Powell campground might be a good option. It's only 1/2 a day from Page to Monument Valley. Goulding's is the best place to stay there. Depending on your time frame, you can backtrack from Monument Valley back to St George and I-15 or continue into Utah via Hwy 163 to 191 to visit Arches NP and Canyonlands. Or, turn off 191 at Hwy 95 and take the drive to Capitol Reef NP. The Fruita campground there is one of our favorites. Capitol Reef is close to I-70 that will take you back to I-15. Sooo many options.
As for time, a minimum of two days not counting your arrival or departure day are needed for each park. The area around Bryce might deserve an extra day or two. Zion, Arches and Bryce are really crowded during the summer. Best visited during the shoulder seasons. South Rim is super crowded any time but if you go stay in the Mather campground in the park. FYI North Rim closes for winter and doesn't open until around Memorial Day.
Can provide more details. If needed just send me a PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_0207 (1).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	22688   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1658 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	22689   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3352.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	22690   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4669.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	22691  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
TNVJones

Canonman had given great recommendations. We just returned east from a 7 week journey that included all he did. He has submitted some great pictures.
We could not get in the park in Tusayan for our visit to the South Rim. We ended up in Williams Az and took the train to the Canyon. We were at Canyon Gateway Park, which was a disappointment and I would not recommend this park. I would recommend the Canyon Motel and RV Park or Grand Canyon Railway RV Park if you do stay in the Williams Area.

In Page we were at the Page/Lake Powell Park and it was a nice park.

Monument valley in Gouldings was very nice with great views and I have included the view from our site. No all views are this great but there are no bad sites.

Good Luck with the trip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9331.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	22694  

TNVJONES
2017 F-250 6.2L
2019 Hideout 303RLI
TNVJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
WestCoastWanderer

Canonman clearly knows his state. I have grown very fond of visiting it. You are in Folsom so I would take all of Canonman's advice and add a twist or two. Since you will start in Folsom, take Highway 50 east to Great Basin NP for your first night's stay (and probably a second). It's dry camping in the park though. Grab a pull through in Lower Lehman Creek campground. If you leave Folsom early in the morning, you should be able to make GBNP by noon. I lived in South Lake Tahoe for 15 years and this is how I hooked up with all the parks in Utah and Canonman's suggested travels. From GBNP, a route I first took back in 2000 was as follows.
Night 1. GBNP
Night 2-4. Bryce Canyon NP (Hike into the canyons - try Peekaboo Loop from Bryce Point)
Night 5. Capitol Reef NP (See Goblin Valley)
Night 6-8. Canyonlands/Arches/Dead Horse Point SP (Stay at Dead Horse Point)
Night 9-10. Mesa Verde NP (Do the tours)
Night 11. Monument Valley/Navaho NM (Across the reservation you go)
Night 12-13. Grand Canyon NP (A very big hole in the ground)
Night 14-16. Zion NP (Then aim for home either through Lost Wages or GBNP).
This trip itinerary was my first trip to Utah. I have been there no less than ten times since, each time with a different travel route variant and/or different regional focus. So much to see and do. My favorite park remains Bryce. We just spent eight days just in that area of the state and left a few desired places still unvisited (which means I have to go back). I used to stay in the park. Now, it's in Ruby's Inn RV park. Love the pool and hot tub.

Have a ton of fun developing your route. I don't think you can do it all in one trip, which is a very good thing.