Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Bullet Boy

TPO sealant and repair

I have a 2015 Bullet 248rks,, I’d like to know the appropriate material needed to seal/refinish existing roof material. I have no known leaks and used some self leveling last material before unit was stored last fall and the only areas that seemed questionable at the time were where the cap meets the roof on the front and same at rear, seals around vents and such seemed ok. 2nd question, just came back from 11 day trip in Cape Cod, parked rig, set up electric and shut down fridge. Typically we leave it running but this time we shut it off and cracked the doors. I noticed water dripping dead center of rear of rig at edge of chloroplast. Found water pooled in freezer and I’m assuming some dropped out of fridge down the drip catch. Where does the water go??? Is that what was dripping, isn’t there supposed to be a drain tube somewhere? Ok, 3rd question, will my roof support my fat arse to get up and do some general maintenance, I’m a healthy baby boy 280lbs......thanks for the help
Bullet Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
bobbecky

In photos of these rigs, I see no ladder installed for roof access, so I would not attempt to walk on the roof, because the lack of a ladder is a pretty good indicator that the roof is not strong enough to walk on without additional work. Routine maintenance for rubber roofs, EPDM or TPO is similar, usually just use Dicor self-leveling sealant to repair any cracking in the sealant of the roof. Hopefully the water in the belly of the rig was just from rain blown in when driving, otherwise you may have a leak from plumbing or a tank.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Bullet Boy

Leak resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
In photos of these rigs, I see no ladder installed for roof access, so I would not attempt to walk on the roof, because the lack of a ladder is a pretty good indicator that the roof is not strong enough to walk on without additional work. Routine maintenance for rubber roofs, EPDM or TPO is similar, usually just use Dicor self-leveling sealant to repair any cracking in the sealant of the roof. Hopefully the water in the belly of the rig was just from rain blown in when driving, otherwise you may have a leak from plumbing or a tank.
The leak actually was caused by the drain tube from refrigerator not being routed outside. On a good note, I fixed it by routing it out through the louvered cover panel. Don’t see any apparent damage so I leave it alone at this point. So if my roof can’t hold weight, how does one do maintenance and caulk seams. Doesn’t make sense to have to built a scaffold to do said repairs. I’ll dig further. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Bullet Boy

Can’t walk on roof

Checked Keystones owners site, no ladder, no walky!!!
Now what....My arms are short and my belly’s big!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8918B39A-7112-45C7-8432-7E9D2AD8546B.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	23297  
Old 08-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

A tall ladder laid against the trailer sidewall and a 1" sheet of rigid foam insulation board laid on the roof (to support your "rotund belly") as you lean across the foam board to access the roof seals with your "short arms"???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
Bullet Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A tall ladder laid against the trailer sidewall and a 1" sheet of rigid foam insulation board laid on the roof (to support your "rotund belly") as you lean across the foam board to access the roof seals with your "short arms"???
Thanks......
Old 08-20-2019, 05:44 AM   #7
sonofcy

Instead of dicor, use 4" or 6" eternabond tape and never worry about it again.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Instead of dicor, use 4" or 6" eternabond tape and never worry about it again.

Until you need to get under the tape to re secure a screw backing out or you need to do some minor work and have to try to peel off the tape.

IMO, eternabond is good for a repair as it is permanent (hence the name) but a poor choice for routine maintance.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Until you need to get under the tape to re secure a screw backing out or you need to do some minor work and have to try to peel off the tape.

IMO, eternabond is good for a repair as it is permanent (hence the name) but a poor choice for routine maintance.
Totally agree!
It's a great fix for a nick or hole in the roof material but the wrong fix for joints & around roof protrusions, it's PERMANENT hence the name.
Your roof shouldn't require more than regular inspection, cleaning & reapplying/refreshing the caulks on joints & seams. No sealant required over the entire roof.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #10
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Totally agree!
It's a great fix for a nick or hole in the roof material but the wrong fix for joints & around roof protrusions, it's PERMANENT hence the name.
Your roof shouldn't require more than regular inspection, cleaning & reapplying/refreshing the caulks on joints & seams. No sealant required over the entire roof.
YES, it's permanent as in no more maintenance of the joints. As far as a screw backing out that is easily dealt with by cutting the tape, fixing the screw and applying a patch of more tape. At 77 I don't enjoy getting on the roof any more and paying the RV shop $300 twice a year is a pain in both money and time. Better to leak proof the joints before the water gets in, now I don't have to worry about the roof again EVER! YMMV.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote