Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
Mongoose9400

Fixing Ramp Patio Stair Bracket

So I went to set up and use our patio deck for the first time. When I went to attach the stairs, I realized all the tek-screw had stripped the aluminum frame. Any recommendations on how to reattach? move the brackets left or right an inch and reattach, use a larger screw if possible, weld?

Anyone else have this happen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	18493  
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If the brackets don't require adjustment from time to time, I'd be inclined to find some pop rivets that will work in the existing holes without any enlargement and pop-rivet the brackets onto the frame in their original location. If they come out again, I'd look for a means to install/insert a backing plate under the aluminum strip to give it enough support so the screws/rivets won't pull through.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Mongoose9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the brackets don't require adjustment from time to time, I'd be inclined to find some pop rivets that will work in the existing holes without any enlargement and pop-rivet the brackets onto the frame in their original location. If they come out again, I'd look for a means to install/insert a backing plate under the aluminum strip to give it enough support so the screws/rivets won't pull through.
Rivets are a good idea. I have some peel rivets in the toolbox, I'd image they would work if they fit. One the brackets are aligned and spaced properly, I don't see why I'd need them to be adjustable ever again. I think the tek-screws may have worked, but I'm sure they drove them in at the factory with an impact wrench and over tightened them all, and stripped all the aluminum.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Sometimes I've seen "extra long" screws used to hold a bracket in place on a thin aluminum strip. The longer screws were used not to secure the bracket to the "thin aluminum strip" but rather so the screw could go through the strip and actually secure the bracket to the frame behind the strip. That might be why the screws were installed that way (purely a guess on my part) and the factory knew they would strip out the aluminum trim, but took that into account ???? Just a WAG with no background other than a guess as to why the screws might have stripped ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Mongoose9400

I fixed my ramp stair brackets by relocating the brackets to the right about an inch. Predrilled the tek screw holes, followed by driving the new tek scews in without overdriving and stripping the holes out. Seemed to work great. I have a feeling the factory just overdrove the screws and stripped all the treads out. Similar to what I have seen on other areas were they used tek screws into aluminum. Example, the Happijac bed systems that all my screws just fell out of while driving.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires

Tags
rack