Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
SouthernBusches

Inverter battery for 3511 RE

We have a new Alpine 3511 RE and believe the wrong battery has been put in for the battery for the inverter. Does anyone have the specs on the battery that it should be?
Thank you for your help.
Southern Busches
SouthernBusches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

By wrong battery, do you mean wrong group, wrong voltage?

What does the inverter provide power for? How many watts is it? Do you know what battery they installed?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
SouthernBusches

The battery they put in was a small car battery. It was dead with in 1 hour of being on the road. This is the first unit with a inverter battery this company has ever sold. This morning is full of research!
SouthernBusches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Without knowing the group size , rated amp hours and load, it's near impossible at this end of the inter web to say for sure.

If your trailer is plugged into the tow vehicle and everything is working properly, the trucks charging system should keep the trailer battery charged and it shouldn't go dead in 1 hour.

Are you sure the 12V charge line is active at the bumper?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:12 AM   #5
WaltBennett

First off, are you certain you have an inverter (inverts 12v DC to 120v AC)? Unless you've a residential refrigerator, you probably only have a converter (converts 120v AC to 12v DC), but the single car battery should have lasted longer anyway unless there was some sort of DC load on it (lights on, etc.)

Second, if you do have an inverter, a single battery of just about any group size won't last long if the inverter is on and supplying 120 volts to something. I've four big 6 volt batteries that will last something over 12 hours providing 120v through my inverter for moderate to light loads, but that's how I designed the system. (They get charged back up by either the solar panels or shore power.) I've heard of several folks that bought units with residential refers and moderate sized inverters that had issues with either insufficient batteries, insufficient inverter size, or both.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 AM   #6
gearhead

I think we need more info on what you have. If you have a 120volt ac electric only residential refrigerator, and it was on, that battery life may not be too long. Like has been said, be sure your truck is charging it.
I was talking to a Keystone salesman 2 days ago. We were in a Montana with a residential refrig. I asked how long it would run off the battery, he said about 18 hours.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I was talking to a Keystone salesman 2 days ago. We were in a Montana with a residential refrig. I asked how long it would run off the battery, he said about 18 hours.
I'm positive that rep was assuming it was a good deep cycle battery, not either an automotive or a half & half. No matter what, I wouldn't have less than two of the biggest deep cycle 12v batteries I could find & fit in if I had a residential refer. Nothing like having food rot inside one and having to clean it out - it's damn near impossible to get the stink gone.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote