Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
Bluwave

Window Seal

I bought a new Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2070BH a few weeks ago. I noticed the window trim popping out and called the dealer I bought it from. They set up an appointment for 2-1/2 weeks out. I took it in and waited 2 hours for them to tell that they had to contact Keystone to see what they'll do about it. That was over a week ago.

Isn't this something that should be a rather easy fix and clearly under warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Seal 1.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	21201  
Bluwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. That “seal” is nothing more than a trim. The window seal is different, but yes it should be a warranty repair. I have re “set” the corners of that trim too many times to count.

Most likely the window manufacturer cut the trim short, or it was stretched too tight when installed. Sun will shrink them but it’s winter time right now.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Bluwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum. That “seal” is nothing more than a trim. The window seal is different, but yes it should be a warranty repair. I have re “set” the corners of that trim too many times to count.

Most likely the window manufacturer cut the trim short, or it was stretched too tight when installed. Sun will shrink them but it’s winter time right now.
I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Bluwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:19 AM   #4
Tbos

Unfortunately all the dealers need to get authorization from Keystone before they do warranty work. If not they stand a chance of not being paid. It’ll be interesting to see if they will replace that trim for you.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:23 AM   #5
KingFisher

I had that on the window above the mid bunk slide. I got a ladder and pushed it back in.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #6
Bluwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I had that on the window above the mid bunk slide. I got a ladder and pushed it back in.
They tried that for two hours, I tried for one. I'll probably end fixing it myself before waiting on the dealer, but the window will have to come out.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:25 AM   #7
Bluwave

Well, I have to say...

THEY FIXED IT!

They called me on Monday and asked me when the best time was to bring it in. They fixed it in 2 hours and they really appreciated my modification! It's been a good experience so far.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluwave View Post
Well, I have to say...

THEY FIXED IT!

They called me on Monday and asked me when the best time was to bring it in. They fixed it in 2 hours and they really appreciated my modification! It's been a good experience so far.

That’s great news. Glad it worked out. Have fun this summer.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
rodgebone

i just found a similar issue on my wrig. the soft rubber seal that actually wraps around the single pane glass (not the hard ABS plastic frame) has come loose at the corner. the factory (or less likely someone in PDI) applied a bunch of silicone sealant to the corner to keep it in place (as evidenced on several other windows on my TT) in an effort to keep it in position. this wrig has gone through one hot summer but is now in a cooler winter climate although in direct sunlight daily as it faces south. this particular seal has no gap left to allow for expansion it has now pulled away from the corner - all the other windows have a good 1/4" of gap to allow for expansion but this seal has NO gap remaining either on top or bottom. its not leaking (yet) but at some point it surely will. id like to adjust or replace it before that happens. im thinking just pry it loose from the glass with a pick/screwdriver while keeping in place and use some silicone/lube to pull it back into place and then apply some more silicone sealant to keep it in place after cutting 1/4" off the seal to allow for expansion. what do you think Chuckster? you're and RV tech and i'm an automotive tech. i hate to take the TT into the dealer if i can sort it myself as i'm a full timer. thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	25206   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	25207   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	25208  
Old 02-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

That rubber insert is simply a trim piece. Your on the right track. It’s a PITA to install and often times gets stretched as it’s inserted, over time it shrinks. Your fix will work but here’s what I would do.

Make sure it’s fully inserted in the corners, and not stretched. Continue to the ends and fill the gap with black silicone. Shape it to match. You can get new insert molding, but that costs more.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
rodgebone

this seal actually overlaps both the inside and outside of the glass so im not confident it's just a "trim" piece - can't get my head around that description. guess that poses the question...what piece actually "seals" the window? i dont see any other components that seal other than this rubber. im no expert and respect your opinion as an RV tech. either way i will give my fix a try. im guessing your suggestion of black silicone on the gaps will allow for expansion and retraction in the future. should i trim 1/4" off the ends? thanks for your input - invaluable info! as one tech to another id like to meet up with you someday. this RV stuff fascinates me to no end
Old 02-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Your welcome. Pull a bit out at the end and you’ll understand what I mean. The profile will show you how it’s held in place but doesn’t “seal” the glass. I wouldn’t cut any of it.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #13
rodgebone

Quote:
Pull a bit out at the end and you’ll understand what I mean
yep, pulled it out today and i see it doesnt actually seal the glass (was horrified to find they use clear silicone for that purpose). was easy enough to reinstall but the rubber is too deformed at the corner after being out of position for so long. will have to replace it for cosmetic purposes of course hope its easy and cheap to find. while i was up there on the ladder i noticed the roof of the slide out has severely warped....still looks like its making good contact with the slide out seals and no leaks (yet) but i wonder what will come from this down the road