Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
annmarie

First Winter Questions

We purchased a travel trailer this summer so this will be our first winter storing it. We're in Minnesota so it's very cold and very snowy. We decided we're going to pay for the winterization of it - which I assume is just the pipe flush and anti-freeze. That may be considered a waste of money but we just don't have the time to learn and do it ourselves this year.

My question is, what else do we need to do?? We'll remove everything and do a thorough cleaning but what else? Tips for discouraging mice, bugs, etc? I would love to hear about any tips and advice for storing a trailer (outdoors) over the winter.

Thanks in advance!
annmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Slapshoot

We clean out all food, leave fridge cleaned and open so there is no mild in the spring (learned this the hard way), take out all liquids (although a bottle of rum got forgotten last winter - made it through unharmed), put away all bedding etc in vacuum sealed bags, put paper products like toilet paper and Kleenex away in totes and put out bounce sheets for the mice (we have never had mice in our camper so I am assuming this works). Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Slapshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshoot View Post
We clean out all food, leave fridge cleaned and open so there is no mild in the spring (learned this the hard way), take out all liquids (although a bottle of rum got forgotten last winter - made it through unharmed), put away all bedding etc in vacuum sealed bags, put paper products like toilet paper and Kleenex away in totes and put out bounce sheets for the mice (we have never had mice in our camper so I am assuming this works). Hope this helps.

That’s suppose to say “mold”
Old 10-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Most folks on the forum report success with using "Fresh-Cab" rodent repellent. Tractor Supply has it or order on-line at Amazon or wherever.
Remove all food including canned goods. Remove toiletries from bathroom. Remove all liquids inside such as dish detergent, window cleaner, etc.
Remove batteries from everything. Disconnect camper battery and store at home connected to a battery maintainer.
If possible park the unit with the tires and tounge jack on pressure treated lumber. Cover tires after inflating to max p.s.i.
I may have omitted something but if I did I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are about 5 or 6 current threads on the forum concerning how to winterize and store trailers through the cold season. While no doubt, members will add comments here as well as other locations, it would be most beneficial to take a few minutes, use the search feature (or the "new posts sidebar") to locate other threads about this same topic. While none of them may be "absolutely complete" and cover all the steps and things to consider, between all of them, there's very little that's been missed.

Take the time, make your "checklist" of what applies to your situation, then use that checklist to make sure you haven't forgotten something important.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter