Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 04:18 AM   #1
Pete B

Performance chip

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 liter hemi with 110,000 miles pulling a 2018 hideout 26 rls. While driving on relative flat land I cannot use cruise without transmission kicking out of overdrive constantly. I know I should turn overdrive off but then I am burning lots of gas. Will a performance chip help me out?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

You have a choice of what you want to burn, gas or the transmission, especially with a high mileage tranny. Performance tuner may help with the tranny searching for a gear but it will add more stress to the transmission. On a gasser I wouldn't advise it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 AM   #3
Javi

Not for long before you melt the tranny...
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
Badbart56

Performance chips can do more harm than good. Often when you deviate from the parameters that the manufacturers engineers have set, weaknesses are realized. You can buy a lot of gas for what a transmission would cost.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Performance chips can do more harm than good. Often when you deviate from the parameters that the manufacturers engineers have set, weaknesses are realized. You can buy a lot of gas for what a transmission would cost.
And use the money you would have spent for that performance chip to pay for a good transmission checkup/service/oil and filter change......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
Old Mustanger

I had installed an SCT towing tune in the F250, didn't seem to help as much as advertised (imagine that) and on the first long trip, coming back home thru Tennessee it would not allow the exhaust filter to clean. After getting a warning that the truck was going to shut down (forget how many miles it gave until shut down), I pulled into a rest area and reinstalled the stock tune. Exhaust filter cleaning commenced immediately after after start up and commenced for about 45 miles.
FOR SALE: SCT X4 tuner! (not really, I do still use it to read error codes).

So my opinion now is don't mess with the factory tunes for towing.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Old Mustanger,

Valuable lesson learned !!! As much competition as there is between GM, Ford and RAM to have the "best tow ratings/best load ratings" you can almost guarantee that they have run the numbers against the failure data and "tweeked" every ounce of power, every pound of payload and every inch of MPG from their ratings and still kept reliability at the best it can be. Adding a $350 "chip" to circumvent all of the research any of the manufacturers has put into a $75,000 vehicle just seems, to me at least, a good way to push the reliability past where the manufacturer knows "is the best setting for performance vs reliability"....

Just like the auto manufacturers "push the ratings to the limit" you can be sure that the "chip makers" boast their product to the limit as well. Biggest difference, that I can see, is that the auto manufacturer has to pay to fix what breaks, so they have a vested interest in keeping the vehicle on the road while the "chip maker" can always blame the owner, the manufacturer or the gas you were using....... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Some thoughts;

If you have been towing for 110k miles and left OD on you will be buying a tranny soon. The difference in mileage is negligible to say the least, especially when taking into account of the damage you are doing to the tranny.

A performance chip is useless IMO; I am talking about a chip, not a tuner. I installed one on a 2003? 5.7L along with a cold air intake and catback exhaust to improve towing performance with a 5k lb. boat. Useless. Any performance increase was imperceptible but the noise increase was dramatic. Out came the chip and cold air intake - still in my attic.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Some thoughts;

If you have been towing for 110k miles and left OD on you will be buying a tranny soon. The difference in mileage is negligible to say the least, especially when taking into account of the damage you are doing to the tranny.
not meaning to hi-jack the thread but since I got the F250 I've been using cruise control in tow/haul mode with both OD's on (5 & 6). I have not noticed any hunting and if anything sometimes I think it stays in a lower gear longer than necessary. Previous TV manuals all indicated not to use cruise control while towing but the manual for this truck does not say yea or nae to it. Opinions? Am I hurting the transmission?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
not meaning to hi-jack the thread but since I got the F250 I've been using cruise control in tow/haul mode with both OD's on (5 & 6). I have not noticed any hunting and if anything sometimes I think it stays in a lower gear longer than necessary. Previous TV manuals all indicated not to use cruise control while towing but the manual for this truck does not say yea or nae to it. Opinions? Am I hurting the transmission?
If you are using the tow/haul mode... nope... well unless it goes to hunting an pecking for a gear on slight grades.. I know my F350 diesel and looking even with my trailer hooked up..

If it goes to hunting, just kick the cruise off and old school it with a little right foot...
Old 07-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Much of whether or not the transmission will hunt for gears is dependent upon many variables including final gear ratio, engine torque, air temps, etc. The damage is done when the transmission is constantly down shifting and upshifting as that causes excess friction on the clutches and builds heat that breaks down the transmission fluid and damages the fibers and metals of the clutches. Enough heat and the oil will "varnish" causing valves to stick and reducing the lubricating qualities even further. One of the big pluses of using the diesel engine for towing is that they deliver very high torque and horse power numbers at much lower RPMs than gas fueled engines.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #12
Pull Toy

As already mentioned, the chip is more expensive than the extra tanks full that you may burn. AND for what it's worth (CA-CHING $$$)! A buddy of mine is the Service Manager at the Local (Large) Ford dealership.

Not only is a chip an expensive bad idea... unless you're racing your truck, it will void any and all warranty (Ford factory diag's will detect any placing of a chip, and keep it in memory)... and it may be illegal for emissions testing in the lower 48!

No thanks, I'll settle for 16.9 bobtailing, and 11.7+/- haulin' the trailer with my 2016, 6.7.

Good Luck,

p.s. Take it out of Overdrive when pullin'. The fuel's cheaper than the wear and tear on your drive train. If you have "Tow Haul" or equivalent... it's there for a reason, use it.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #13
Badbart56

The Ford's with the 6.7 and the 6 speed transmission don't drive anything like the older model trucks, especially the gassers. My old '97 7.3 could get the job done but if you put it in tow/haul it comes out of overdrive. The 6.7 uses all gears and overdrive. Mine seldom shifts down and still holds 70 mph with the cruise control on unless it's a moderate hill. I can actually accelerate on the hills in 6th gear, Whereas the old 7.3 would be doing good to hold 55 mph on the same hill in 3rd gear. No comparison in my opinion. That's just how advanced these towing machines are. I'm sure the newer Ram's and Chevys are equally capable. Not knocking the gas trucks, it's just apples and oranges. I loved my old 7.3, but I am truly glad I moved up to the 6.7.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #14
Pull Toy

+1 for BADBART ^^^!!!!

The 6.0 to 6.7 up grade is like going from a mule to a Kentucky Derby Ride! And talk about quiet... I don't even shut 'er off at the drive-thru any more!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
Wmeili

Towing

Our f 350’with the diesel has no problem pulling out Alpine 3500 rl. Most hills stays in 6 gear. Wouldn’t see any need to chip this motor. As for the dodge technology has changed I pulled with a 460 Ford with overdrive years ago every hill I would pull it out of overdrive and watch my rpm you can toast a older trans quickly trying to pull in overdrive. As for a performance upgrade I wouldn’t bother with a chip on a gas motor
Wmeili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #16
travelin texans

The greatest benefit to adding performance enhancements to any of today's engines is to the companies selling the enhancements. If you lived long enough & kept that truck that long you MIGHT recoup your investment.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:14 AM   #17
larry337

Quote:
You're fine. Ford transmissions are designed to tow in overdrive. Gas or diesel. If the transmission were hunting or downshifting too much then you could manually lock out 6th Gear. But you shouldn't have to do any more than that. And by the way fifth gear is also Overdrive.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
tgpilot

Back in about 06 or 07 I put a Super Chip in my ford F-350. I was an RV hauler in those days. Left Texas for Colorado, I was fighting big head winds and going up hill. That chip really made the difference. Pulled like a champ, but in the end. I paid a big price. Burned up the tranny and lost a lot of time. Had a new one ut in and soon burned it up. Traded for a Dodge and NO more chips. I really learned the hard way.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #19
bob91yj

Apples/oranges as my experience is with GM DuraMax engines...EVERY blown headgasket I've seen on a DMax (14 years as a service adviser) was on a "chipped/tuner" equipped engine. as others have stated OEM's spend millions of $$$ on R&D to make their products reliable.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #20
Hansel

I can't tell you much about Dodge tuning, but you need too find a company that specializes in tuning Dodge's, the standard cookie cutter tuner's aren't what you need. Like me, I drive 2 7.3L's and have tuning done by PHP's Hydra chip. This give's me more horsepower for towing, and I monitor vital engine function's with gauges, a lot of guy's say chips are worthless, I disagree. If you know who to talk too and tune you're truck you can safely add power for towing. But like I said you need too find someone that deal's with custom tuning for Dodge's.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote