Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
tundrwd

"Overnite" boondocking ideas?

I'll be on my way camping in 3 weeks, and plan to stay overnite - probably at a Walmart parking lot - along the way there.
  • I've got a Champion 3100 genny that can power the unit (A/C mainly)
  • I've got a Masterlock Python cable (a 6' and 30') to tie the Champion up to the frame (probably near the steps so I can hear it when it dies, or if someone is screwing around with it).
  • I plan on either filling or partially filling the fresh water tank for toilet, etc.
  • I plan on putting down the tongue jack on a pad just to relieve pressure on the rear axle of the truck, etc. for the nite.
  • Probably put down the rear two stabilizer jacks in the rear - again on pads
  • Going to try to rig up a camera to point out of the rear window of the truck (has IR, etc.) just to catch anything that might happen, etc.

I'm traveling with the wife and 3 young granddaughters (one reason for Walmart - walk around and occupy them somewhat).

Any other ideas from those who "been there, done that"? This is just a one-niter, not dry camping at a CG or anything like that.
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
laidback

i wouldn't run the genny or put down stabilizers in a wal mart. It's much easier to just find a campground especially with kids.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
kjohn

We have stayed in Walmart lots a few times. I always go in and ask for permission, and have never been told no. They usually ask that we park along the edge away from the busy parking spots. I put my stabilizers down. We always go in a couple of times and buy supplies, plus the first morning coffee. Any we have stayed at always get very quiet later in the evening.

One place that was a real zoo to see was the Walmart in Whitehorse. We were parked in a gov't run campground, but went down to scout around. Huge big land yachts parked every which way and all over the lot. I would suspect that Walmart pulled in a fair bit of business from those units.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

IMO parking in a Walmart parking lot in the first place is an impostition - there are so many ways not to have to do it. Secondly, running a generator in the parking lot is completely inappropriate. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
Freeheel4life

There was a nice thread a while back about Wal Mart lot camping. May help you a bit.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=mart

We have stayed the night while traveling now at various places (rest stops, truck stops. and even a Best Western parking lot). It's never more than a stop for dinner and an overnight and if it's a not a public facility we always get permission first. That being said....

I stay hooked up and I put the landing gear down. There's nothing worse than waking up to a late night wind moving through that shakes the whole box and keeps you awake. Just means putting the jacks down in the dark while poorly dressed. We don't run the gennie, but we will put the slide out if there's room. Just our experience.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #6
DocP

I've done it out of necessity (e.g., motorhome had to be towed to the Wal Mart in Ripley, WV because the Ford repair facility wasn't open on a weekend). The parking areas they tell me to park in are near where some of the semis park for the night. The semis run their air conditioning and engines all night long (it's a bit noisy), so I would have no trouble running the generator if it got hot enough or if I wanted to heat up some food I bought at the Wal Mart, or watch a little TV before going to sleep.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
tundrwd

Thanks for the thoughts. I've "checked" this Wally World out (online), and they do accept and allow overnite parking.
  1. I plan on asking prior - seems absolutely improper and disrespectful not to.
  2. I am not going to disconnect the trailer, just put out some stabilizers for the Kansas wind, and to take some load off the rear axle of the truck.
  3. I'd like to get some sleep, and at this time of year, and where I'm planning on stopping, running the A/C isn't quite a necessity - but if you want any sleep at all... Many times, nights don't cool down very much. Many times, the Kansas wind is more of a blast furnace, even at night, so opening the windows usually doesn't do much.
  4. I plan on making some purchases there, since I'm staying there, both in the evening, and first thing in the morning. That seems only proper.
  5. Based on online reports - yes, they do put you out with the semis, and I know those guys pretty much run their engines all nite, so I wasn't too worried about any noise mine would make. It's very quiet, and from 20-30 feet away, not really noticeable. With the semis - you'll NEVER hear it.
  6. I do have concerns about safety, but plan on "sitting" under a light, among other preparations.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #8
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrwd View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I've "checked" this Wally World out (online), and they do accept and allow overnite parking.
How/where was this online "checking" done? This may be something I have to do later this summer.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #9
tundrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
How/where was this online "checking" done? This may be something I have to do later this summer.
A few websites, but I mainly use this one:
https://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

I also use the app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/walm...352818407?mt=8

Gives phone numbers, addresses, reviews, etc. So I can call ahead find out if there's an issue. The app I use also has "normal" RV sites, etc. Haven't used it much while traveling - I normally make reservations well ahead of time (I dislike surprises when I have limited time).

AllStays has a few apps, one gives overnite parking for RVs at several places, as well as free RV campsites in small towns, etc. I have the more complete "AllStays Camp & RV" app. Also has gas stations, etc. Seems to be a fairly complete app - again - just a warning - I haven't really used it "for real".
Old 06-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

If you use Yahoo for mail or news services, there is a Yahoo group called "WalMart Camping". There is an extensive list of locations that allow and prohibit parking lot camping, a set of established rules and instructions on any specific process or particular store requirements such as where to park, times available, etc.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
spade117

The one I am possibly looking into shows about 6-7 trailers in the far portion of the lot on google earth. Looks like they have their slides out as well.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
travelin texans

Out of curiosity, are you camping at Walmart out of necessity, as no where else available or just cause it's free? I know ultimately it won't be free as you'll probably spend more inside than a rv park would cost, but why not a rv park or campground to get the kids out to play outside before bed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
spade117

My purpose would be to break up a longer drive into 2 shorter ones on the way to our destination.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #14
K_N_L

We're big fans of Pilot /Flying J, especially the ones with RV parking out front, not in the yard with all big rigs, but I have done that as well. Good Sam discount on fuel and dumping, sit down restaurant, and all the junk food you need in one place.

Also I use an app called 'Trucker Path' while traveling to find out the distance to the next truck, rest stop, or Walmart and a bunch of other items like open parking spaces and fuel prices etc. Great app and you can turn on / off what items you want to see.
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
tundrwd

Quote:
My purpose would be to break up a longer drive into 2 shorter ones on the way to our destination.
Same here. 12 hours with 3 kids in their car seats in the back of the pickup...

I need a sanity break. Last year, we took 2 of them to Custer, SD. The youngest learned "jokes". For 5 hours (the first day), we heard:

Q: Know how to make a Kleenex dance?

A: Blow a little boogie in it.

Thankfully, it was only 3 hours the second day...
Old 06-23-2018, 06:01 AM   #16
jsmith948

Quote:
Well - again - same question - why not find a campground that is half way to your destination? Give the kids a place to run - maybe even use the playground - instead of a parking lot?
When the DW and I head up to Washington State to visit our oldest son and his family we break the 850 mile trip into 3 parts. Yes, it costs us a little more, but we have the quiet of an established park and the ability to hook up to power and water if we choose. JMHO - YMMV

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #17
CrazyCain

WE stayed at the WalMart in Gaylord, Mi right off I75, Pulled up, parked in the very back side of the lot. This was done to split a 10hr drive to the UP. Spent a few buck's in the store as a thank you and had zero problems. Didn't lower anything.....Met some Site team member there also

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #18
fredetteb

The DW and I have boondocked many times at various WalMarts and have never had any problems. Wally's are usually close to interstates and have decent access for our 5er. We always park in a far corner or with any semi's that are there so running our Onan genny isn't a problem.

As for the why's; we'll typically do a 2-1 routine on longer trips. 2 boondocked nights followed by 1 night in a campground to refresh tanks and ourselves. It's just for the convenience of being able to stop get a bit of rest and get back on the road. We are full timers so moving from one location to another (contract work) is time dependant. For other shorter drives we may just stay in a CG for the overnight and enjoy a relaxing dinner out if our schedules allow.

Jacks and slides are on a case by case basis though our new 381th has to have the kitchen out to access the bedroom. It's never more than sundown to sunup when boondocked. Just enough time to get some sleep, a quick shower, and the obligatory shopping.

I always try to make time to thank a member of management before we leave for the opportunity to park. WalMart is a business and they know that providing this courtesy helps their image, so we as RVers should be courteous as well.

Pilot/Flying J is also on option and very convenient for fueling. Finding a spot there is hard though because most are used by OTR trucks. Spaces are VERY narrow so using slides is not possible. Around the south many Cracker Barrel restaurants allow boondocking too. Like WalMart they are close to interstates but the lots are smaller and can be tricky for larger (30ft+) rigs. Some states allow overnight stays in rest areas but an uncle of mine had problems with persons of questionable intent so we have never done it.

Do a little research use some common sense safety and I'm certain you and the family will have a wonderful trip.
Tonneau cover. BullyDog GT. High Idle Mod.
B&W Turnoverball™ with a Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.
2018 Keystone Montana High Country 381TH.
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #19
mbrownao24

Find the spot with the most overhead lighting. It feels much safer if brightly illuminated.
mbrownao24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #20
idanby

sometimes

I've stayed in a couple walmarts. Sometimes the local campgrounds are full. Sometimes I haven't gotten out of my dog show until late in the afternoon and there is no place within daylight driving for me to get to. But not all walmarts will allow overnighters, so best to find out before you get there. I've also been in walmarts that do not have huge parking lots, or have concrete islands that make maneuvering with a trailer or big rig difficult. In Canada I found that Superstore and Extra Foods are trailer friendly if you stick to the outside edges of the lot, and don't plan on taking up long term residence. As can be Canadian Tire stores. But it is always good to ask first if you get there before the store closes, and watch for signage that says no overnight parking. It's also a bonus if you shop at their stores (we always need something). Some of the truck stop gas stations allow overnighting for trailers and big rig trucks. It can be noisy, but parking within site of the big rigs can be a safety bonus. Wherever you stay, try to park in out of the way spots that do not interfere with regular customer parking, and in spots no one is going to park to block you in. Use of portable generators is not usually acceptable unless it is extremely hot out, and definitely not after about 9 or 10 pm. Slides should only be the amount out to get by with over night. This is an emergency or convenience stop, not a campground. You want to cause the least disruption as possible so you and others will be welcome next time.
idanby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking