Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #21
PopBeavers

I have seen a sand buggy on an over head rack, sorta like a lumber rack. Underneath it were two ATVs, stored vertically. I do not know where the ramps were that allowed driving the sand buggy 7 feet into the air. This was on a one ton dually towing a pretty big TT.
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #22
SummitPond

The rain has stopped and the ground has dried out. The bolt you see sticking out goes through the hole in the frame. Mine were pre-drilled; I suspect yours are too. It's in front of the wheels (maybe you can see in the first photo; due to the angle I took the picture the tire is on the bottom of the image). The bolt in question is to the left of the white stripe (also shown in the third photo); there's another a few inches in front of it. The middle photo is from underneath looking up, so the bolt is sticking out on the far left side of the picture. I'm not sure if these help visualize where the mounting holes are/should be, but I was unable to get a better photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8050.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	14839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8049.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	14840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8048.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	14841  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #23
bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
I’m trying to figure this out and I’m looking for opinions, I have a 2012 Hideout towed with a 2017 F-250 Diesel.

I need to see if there’s a way I can take my motorcycle with us on trips, the back of my truck is full with an ATV, but I want to try and take both. Has anyone ever had a receiver installed on the back of a TT that will be able to support 400lbs. plus? I know a sewer cover receiver is a no go and I’ve read about frames cracking and twisting with a receiver fabricated to the back..

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated; this has been driving me nuts.
To the OP. I am not a mechanical engineer but in the last 50 years I have built lots of stuff. Very few if any trailer bumpers are stout enough for much added weight. On many I don't even trust carrying a spare tire on it. But building a new bumper or beefing up the stock unit is very doable. The frame is okay for the weight, but the thin sheet metal bumper and the way it's tied in isn't.
All that said you can build or beef up the bumper to add a motorcycle rack back there. Only issues I'd have with it is the weight distribution. I'd guess you could move stuff inside the trailer forward to help out.
bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:03 AM   #24
cpt_majestic

Hey Everyone, sorry for the delay in the update, busy with the Holidays.

I found a shop in my area and they fabricated a front dual receiver carrier for me, I've already had it out on a few trips and so far it works like a champ.

Here's a look at the receivers just below the bumper

This is the carrier on the truck

I just use my ramp from the quad, really low angle

Bike on

Inside view, it definitely takes some getting used to.

I really appreciate all the input while I was researching this.
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:21 AM   #25
Hodgy

That looks good and solid up front.

Are your indicator lights visible through the bike ?

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:32 AM   #26
cpt_majestic

For the most part and I get a majority of headlights and full license plate. The guy who built it does a lot of work for the local pd's and they were all fine with it, in fact I think one of them signed up to have one built for himself.

I also checked with a few radiator shops and hot rod shops and they all agreed I won't have any cooling issues, time will tell, but I don't except any.

Definitely dual receivers is the way to go versus single, it's solid as a rock. A single receiver would bounce around like crazy and make me a nervous wreck.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:39 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
For the most part and I get a majority of headlights and full license plate. The guy who built it does a lot of work for the local pd's and they were all fine with it, in fact I think one of them signed up to have one built for himself.

I also checked with a few radiator shops and hot rod shops and they all agreed I won't have any cooling issues, time will tell, but I don't except any.

Definitely dual receivers is the way to go versus single, it's solid as a rock. A single receiver would bounce around like crazy and make me a nervous wreck.
I would suggest driving to your local pd or motor vehicle dept. loaded and get a first hand approval. There's a reason that snow plows on pickup trucks have lights with turn signals mounted on the tops of the plow, safety and compliance of laws. I would also question blocking that much of the air flow to the radiator. JMHO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #28
SummitPond

Captain

Glad you got it sorted out; it looks real nice. And the view from your home, too!

Happy travels.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:10 AM   #29
travelin texans

Wow! That's quite the cow catcher (Texan for grill guard). Have since gotten rid of it, but had a similar setup on the rear of my 5er for a tandem bicycle, worked great.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #30
cpt_majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
Captain

Glad you got it sorted out; it looks real nice. And the view from your home, too!

Happy travels.
Yeah, California, happy to say it was 90 yesterday 12-28-2017. One good thing about this State